Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It is a family area where younger children can also ride the attractions. That doesn't really exist in DHS. Also. I have ridden the Mater attraction at DCA with my child. This spinner is supposed to be the same in TSL. We both enjoyed it.

I am not defending the overall theme of the land in general or lack there of. But that is more of the problem than the new rides themselves. What is also an issue is a 9 year old attraction is supposed to be anchoring the land.

Since this is, as you say, something that DHS needs, do we think it was a bad decision to have two rides that will have height limits?

Kman101

I think it will look good. But I don't think it will have the level detail that we would expect from Disney.

While I don't disagree, I think some are simply disappointed in the choice of IP and they're just not interested in the land. So they're saying it will be lackluster. Of course it will - to them. And that's fine. I totally get that and understand it's not for everyone. It doesn't thrill me much either but I'm not dismissing the land because it's not my first choice. There's a lot I'd have seen them do instead.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Since this is, as you say, something that DHS needs, do we think it was a bad decision to have two rides that will have height limits?

Do I? No, not really. I imagine the height limit is low for the spinner. Although, I assume this is something that Disney took into consideration.

sunsetblvd26

When it comes to how convincing the theming is, I guess we'll have to wait and see.
What?!?! You don't want to jump to conclusions about how horrible it is before it opens?!
That initially bothered me, but since it's looking like the SW rides won't have height limits it shouldn't be a huge issue (at least I thought I remembered reading that, I may be wrong).

elchippo

It seems Pandora is being well received....and Star Wars will inevitably be HUGE. So this is probably best as an "in-betweener". It'll more than satisfy those that are easy to please, and those that aren't won't cry too much because of all the other stuff that's happening. Had it come first, people would be concerned, and had it come last, might've also been dismissed.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
What?!?! You don't want to jump to conclusions about how horrible it is before it opens?!

That initially bothered me, but since it's looking like the SW rides won't have height limits it shouldn't be a huge issue (at least I thought I remembered reading that, I may be wrong).

I wouldn't be surprised to see both rides in SWL with height limits.

flyerjab

I think it will look good. But I don't think it will have the level detail that we would expect from Disney.

I will most likely still like this land, as I enjoy the family level mid-range type coaster...especially one with 2 launches.

However, having been to Pandora now, suddenly my level of expectations from Disney have been raised...significantly.

It's funny how that happens over time. I have not seen anything "significant" as I did not become a fanatical Disney fan until after NFL had already been underway. And for the record, I LOVE 7DMT for what it is. And the theming of that ride is really impressive...from the beginning to the end of the queue.

Pandora though, that really starts to change my perspective a bit. Look at what the Imagineers are capable of when they are truly allowed to do what they do. I remember years back, I always found @marni1971 to be so critical about pretty much everything WDW was doing. The rides weren't long enough, capacity will be an issue, budget cuts scaled back the level of theming, etc..

In hindsight now, I can't blame him for seeing things as he does because of the perspective that he has cultivated over decades. He is used to a park that opens a land like Adventure Land in MK with not one, but two E-Ticket caliber attractions in Pirates and Jungle Cruise (some might argue three with the Tiki bird attaction). Or better yet...Epcot, where every pavilion in FW pretty much had an E-Ticket ride, each being true to the mission statement of the park. What have we seen through the 2000s to NFL? An expansion that was beautiful but with no new groundbreaking E-Ticket attraction to knock your socks off. Frozen in Epcot - a nice ride with neat animatronics, but one not worthy of the success the IP attained, and one that should have been added to the MK to correct some of the shortcomings of NFL.

Pandora, for me, is that first true expansion that made me stop and stare in amazement at how incredible it is. It is the most impressive addition to a WDW park that I have ever seen...period. And now, having experienced it, well I have to be honest and say that it has changed my expectations somewhat. With Pandora and Star Wars, WDW has found new ways to keep me coming back even more. So I can be a bit let down by Toy Story Land. I don't expect every future addition in WDW to be at the same level as Pandora or what Star Wars appears it will be. But, for something like Toy Story Land, yeah, my expectations have been let down a bit. The original theming from the first concept art would have kept me much happier. I will still like the rides, but this could have been better.

ToTBellHop

I wouldn't be surprised to see both rides in SWL with height limits.
Battle Escape should be low. I would imagine the average 4-year old (maybe 3?) will be tall enough. Falcon ride is probably a bit higher. Maybe 44"?

Mickey will likely have no requirement. I suspect A S S will be quite low (mid 30s) and Slinky will be 40".

Kman101

I will most likely still like this land, as I enjoy the family level mid-range type coaster...especially one with 2 launches.

However, having been to Pandora now, suddenly my level of expectations from Disney have been raised...significantly.

It's funny how that happens over time. I have not seen anything "significant" as I did not become a fanatical Disney fan until after NFL had already been underway. And for the record, I LOVE 7DMT for what it is. And the theming of that ride is really impressive...from the beginning to the end of the queue.

Pandora though, that really starts to change my perspective a bit. Look at what the Imagineers are capable of when they are truly allowed to do what they do. I remember years back, I always found @marni1971 to be so critical about pretty much everything WDW was doing. The rides weren't long enough, capacity will be an issue, budget cuts scaled back the level of theming, etc..

In hindsight now, I can't blame him for seeing things as he does because of the perspective that he has cultivated over decades. He is used to a park that opens a land like Adventure Land in MK with not one, but two E-Ticket caliber attractions in Pirates and Jungle Cruise (some might argue three with the Tiki bird attaction). Or better yet...Epcot, where every pavilion in FW pretty much had an E-Ticket ride, each being true to the mission statement of the park. What have we seen through the 2000s to NFL? An expansion that was beautiful but with no new groundbreaking E-Ticket attraction to knock your socks off. Frozen in Epcot - a nice ride with neat animatronics, but one not worthy of the success the IP attained, and one that should have been added to the MK to correct some of the shortcomings of NFL.

Pandora, for me, is that first true expansion that made me stop and stare in amazement at how incredible it is. It is the most impressive addition to a WDW park that I have ever seen...period. And now, having experienced it, well I have to be honest and say that it has changed my expectations somewhat. With Pandora and Star Wars, WDW has found new ways to keep me coming back even more. So I can be a bit let down by Toy Story Land. I don't expect every future addition in WDW to be at the same level as Pandora or what Star Wars appears it will be. But, for something like Toy Story Land, yeah, my expectations have been let down a bit. The original theming from the first concept art would have kept me much happier. I will still like the rides, but this could have been better.

I pretty much agree with you completely. I wish they'd have stuck with the first concept art. But in terms of Toy Story Land itself it really can't get any better, maybe more theming, potentially, but it's set in "Andy's backyard" so it's going to be what it is.

I think for the park itself they would have been better off giving us dark rides featuring Pixar properties, like Monsters Inc. and The Incredibles. But I also think the park could benefit from something like A S S and Slinky Dog Dash. Not everything needs to be an E-ticket and this land should have been built several years ago (or even when they built Toy Story Mania originally) so now we're all looking at it a bit differently, it's many years late, and the land exists elsewhere so I get people wanting something different, but at least the rides will be better. If SWL was opening at the same time, giving us two e-tickets, I think it'd be different and a bit more acceptable. People also aren't thrilled with the IP used so that has lowered their expectations towards it. And unfortunately they likely consider Mania the E-ticket of the land. It isn't though LOL.

They could have at least built the Monsters Inc. coaster to go along with it.

I agree it will be lackluster after seeing Pandora. I'm not really defending TSL's theming, but more so the rides and that it fleshes out a park that needs things to do.

jt04

Sure is. Your comments on a land that isn't finished and you have never visited are neither news nor rumor.

Maybe you should talk to the admins of this site if you think the news and rumor forum is inappropriate for such discussions. Maybe they will get your point.

ToTBellHop

Actually they are. The chassis are custom, but the ride systems are available to all theme parks.
To me, an off-the-shelf coaster is pre-designed by the manufacturer. Slinky is a custom design. To suggest a coaster is OTS because the track design is available to other theme parks would leave every WDW coaster OTS, which is a bit absurd. I also am not aware of the A S S system being available to non-Disney parks. A whip ride, sure, but the Disney model is a bit more complex than the classic flat ride. In any event, If we are using your definition, most of WDW's rides are OTS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom