Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Timothy_Q

There's lands and then there's mini lands. Either by their size, ammount of rides, or level of theming.

I'd say TSL, Critter Country, Liberty Square and Mystic Point are mini lands. As beautiful as some of them might be

Casper Gutman

There's lands and then there's mini lands. Either by their size, ammount of rides, or level of theming.

I'd say TSL, Critter Country, Liberty Square and Mystic Point are mini lands. As beautiful as some of them might be

By virtue of its size and its role as one of two key components to the MGM makeover, I think its hard to call TSL a "mini-land."

Also - Liberty Square has an uber-E-ticket, a D-ticket, and whatever you want to call the Riverboat; Critter Country has an uber-E, a solid D/C; even the smallest, Mystic Point, has an uber-E. Calling TSL a "mini-land" still makes it look awful by comparison.

The clearest parallels for TSL are all the OTHER TSLs, which are universally underwhelming. TSL is Disney's go-to expansion when they want to give the illusion of investment without spending much money at all.

britain

Isn't the riverboat - and therefore, the river - a Liberty Square attraction?

Timothy_Q

Also - Liberty Square has an uber-E-ticket, a D-ticket, and whatever you want to call the Riverboat; Critter Country has an uber-E, a solid D/C; even the smallest, Mystic Point, has an uber-E. Calling TSL a "mini-land" still makes it look awful by comparison.

Isn't the riverboat - and therefore, the river - a Liberty Square attraction?

I'm just saying what I would consider as a mini land.
Usually smaller walking area and/or smaller number of attractions and/or lower quality area.

Bugs Land - many rides / low quality
Mystic Point - 1 ride / high quality

Everyone can call them whatever they want tho

Pedro Soto

Here's a thought how about we wait till the LAND is finish before we criticize it, I know it sucks the land only has 2 new attractions but this Park really needs this addition. Would we be more happier with the DLP Toy Story playland attractions ( i think not). I for one am looking for to it, is it Pandra or Star Wars NO but still will be fun :)

Goofyernmost

"Toy Story Land"
Yes, I know what it is called, but, you and I both know that in the traditional sense it is just labeled as a Land and not what would be the original imagining of the name Land. In affect, just another segregated mini theme land within a much bigger one. The land in this case is the whole park and that is just a connected link to that park. It isn't your Fathers Disney anymore. It is an area and dedicated to one IP. To maintain the fact that it is a single IP, more then a couple of connected rides and attractions are all that should be there. Otherwise it needs to be its own park. Everyone seems to be confused about the difference between Land and Park.

ToTBellHop

Well, there was Mickey's Birthday Land. I think this is at least better than that, and arguably a similar demographic. Personally, I'd feel a helluvalot better about TSL if they were building it along with SWL and a large-scale Pixar land (Cars or Monstropolis). What they are doing in DHS, taken in isolation, is still ambitious, just not the "rebirth" envisioned.

Rodan75

I think that they will both, SWL and Pandora, hold their own. I know this will be a shock, but, not everyone is a SW fan. Yes, I know, blasphemy, but there it is. Both will be popular if for nothing else the vast difference in their messages. Star Wars is all about violence and death. Pandora is all about tranquility and concern for important things. They will both have their ardent fans. Anything new will take from what is already there, but, not forever. All will be well in the kingdoms.

Yeah, but I'm talking about the reaction to Toy Story Land after opening Pandora this year. That is a tough comparison.

Goofyernmost

Yeah, but I'm talking about the reaction to Toy Story Land after opening Pandora this year. That is a tough comparison.
Toy Story is a different audience. It will be standing on it's own and not really comparable no matter how hard anyone tries. And a different park and never meant to be a deal breaker.

Casper Gutman

TSL is going to stick out like a sore thumb compared to pretty much everything else at WDW. Again, look at the TSL's in other Disney Parks around the world, all of which are out of place in the parks in which they are situated. Bugs at DCA is the only comparable example - these are chunks of much less impressive theme parks plopped down in the middle of what is supposed to be one of the best theme parks in the world. Even the average guest is going to notice the dramatic drop-off in theming and overall quality.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
TSL is going to stick out like a sore thumb compared to pretty much everything else at WDW. Again, look at the TSL's in other Disney Parks around the world, all of which are out of place in the parks in which they are situated. Bugs at DCA is the only comparable example - these are chunks of much less impressive theme parks plopped down in the middle of what is supposed to be one of the best theme parks in the world. Even the average guest is going to notice the dramatic drop-off in theming and overall quality.

Stop being so dramatic. The average guest is going to appreciate the family coaster and family spinner. It balances out the park even if the theming is lacking/basic.

Rodan75

To a certain extent I'm good with the theming of this land, mostly because it appears to be a one off and a unique experience for WDW and it looks like it will be a fun area for a younger age group.

That said, I respect your thoughts. And know that Disney fans have frowned upon bare steel coasters for years. It doesn't check all the wdw theme boxes, some of us are okay with that.

Casper Gutman

Stop being so dramatic. The average guest is going to appreciate the family coaster and family spinner. It balances out the park even if the theming is lacking/basic.

I really don't understand this attitude - Disney is not supposed to have a "kiddie" area, ie. an area intended to be enjoyed by children and not adults - that was one of the whole points of Disney building the parks in the first place. Most things in the park should be things that parents and children can enjoy together.

MGM DOES need more family attractions. It also needs a greater variety of attractions. That is not an excuse for them building what is essentially a Six Flags land. Its a reason for them to build a variety of highly themed family attractions. TSL is them trying to solve these problems - lack of family rides, lack of variety - as cheaply and with as little effort as possible. And it is part of a much larger pattern that has made all of the WDW parks substantially worse over the last 15 years (except AK).

And in general I don't find "people will enjoy it" or "families will make memories there" a great defense of a land or ride at WDW. Families can make cherished memories and enjoy themselves at a picnic grounds or, heck, on their back porch. WDW was built to offer - and is priced as though it offers - completely unique experiences constructed with a level of detail and showmanship found nowhere else in the world.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I really don't understand this attitude - Disney is not supposed to have a "kiddie" area, ie. an area intended to be enjoyed by children and not adults - that was one of the whole points of Disney building the parks in the first place. Most things in the park should be things that parents and children can enjoy together.

MGM DOES need more family attractions. It also needs a greater variety of attractions. That is not an excuse for them building what is essentially a Six Flags land. Its a reason for them to build a variety of highly themed family attractions. TSL is them trying to solve these problems - lack of family rides, lack of variety - as cheaply and with as little effort as possible.

And in general I don't find "people will enjoy it" or "families will make memories there" a great defense of a land or ride at WDW. Families can make cherished memories and enjoy themselves at a picnic grounds or, heck, on their back porch. WDW was built to offer - and is priced as though it offers - completely unique experiences constructed with a level of detail and showmanship found nowhere else in the world.

It is a family area where younger children can also ride the attractions. That doesn't really exist in DHS. Also. I have ridden the Mater attraction at DCA with my child. This spinner is supposed to be the same in TSL. We both enjoyed it.

I am not defending the overall theme of the land in general or lack there of. But that is more of the problem than the new rides themselves. What is also an issue is a 9 year old attraction is supposed to be anchoring the land.

Casper Gutman

It is a family area where younger children can also ride the attractions. That doesn't really exist in DHS. Also. I have ridden the Mater attraction at DCA with my child. This spinner is supposed to be the same in TSL. We both enjoyed it.

I am not defending the overall theme of the land in general or lack there of. But that is more of the problem than the new rides themselves. What is also an issue is a 9 year old attraction is supposed to be anchoring the land.

I don't think we disagree here - if the land was well-themed and, in particular, if the coaster was well-themed (see BTM or even 7D), I'd love this area. I adore both the flat rides in Cars Land because they fit organically into one of the most detailed and intricate areas Disney has ever built.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom