Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

virk4

Yes, it was stated that it was approved, go back a few posts and I said it might have been a serious proposal but, it wasn't chosen was it? And it may have had plenty of support, but, obviously not enough or it would be there wouldn't it. The support did not outweigh the power of the decisions makers so it isn't there, we weren't owed it. I wish it had come to Florida as well, but, it didn't, it won't be and it's over. Can we act like adults and not a bunch of spoiled kids that didn't get their own way. I have repeatedly stated, if one doesn't like what they put in there don't freaking go to it. Don't spend money at WDW. We all know that isn't going to happen so why continuously focus on the might have been with the sole purpose of putting down what we did get. It's childish and without logic. It's crap like that, that continues to bring these discussion down to whiny little boring fits of entitlement.

well said.....BTW-I bought a BMW after considering a VW, and I can't wait to see TSL!!

ToTBellHop

Yes, it was stated that it was approved, go back a few posts and I said it might have been a serious proposal but, it wasn't chosen was it? And it may have had plenty of support, but, obviously not enough or it would be there wouldn't it. The support did not outweigh the power of the decisions makers so it isn't there, we weren't owed it. I wish it had come to Florida as well, but, it didn't, it won't be and it's over. Can we act like adults and not a bunch of spoiled kids that didn't get their own way. I have repeatedly stated, if one doesn't like what they put in there don't freaking go to it. Don't spend money at WDW. We all know that isn't going to happen so why continuously focus on the might have been with the sole purpose of putting down what we did get. It's childish and without logic. It's crap like that, that continues to bring these discussion down to whiny little boring fits of entitlement.
I never said it was approved. I said DHS was budgeted $2.8 bn, which would have paid for another phase (land) and then the project was dialed back to Galaxy’s Edge and TSL. That’s the only time I said “approved”. Then they realized the project was too dialed-back and we got Mickey.

But no 3rd Land.

Kman101

Personally, if we HAD to get a TSL, I would’ve preferred a copy of the others to check off the kiddie land boxes without wasting so much money and space, allowing Galaxy’s Edge and another new land. The fact that this was viewed as a reasonable substitute for Cars Land is laughable.

No reason there wasn't room for Galaxy's Edge, Toy Story Land as-is AND Cars Land. PLUS Monster's. PLUS an Indy ride. They had plenty of room for it all. And they need it all. And then some, TBH.

ToTBellHop

I feel quite a few people on here hating on TSL dont have kids. Kids are going to LOVE this land. For a lot of young kids, Slinky Dog will be their first coaster. If Disney felt the need to scale back on Hollywood Studios then I’d rather they did two good/great lands than 4 lands which need to be scaled back money wise
Slinky won’t be their first coaster. That’s Barnstormer. They’ll ride Slink the same trip they ride Mine Train.

I have two 5-year olds. We are going to have a blast on these rides. My issues are:

1) too much $$
2) too much acreage
3) too much of the DHS “rebirth”

If we were getting a third land in 2020 or 2021, my view would be a bit different.

Kman101

I actually don't have a problem with the money spent or the land usage simply because they had the room for other stuff. But in the context of the 'rebirth', and what we're NOT getting, it is a shame so much land was used and so much money was spent.

No reason though they can't pony up the cash to get this park truly up to par.

We're still really just getting replacements for what was axed. We need net gains in attractions. The only good thing about TSL is it expands the footprint of the park but we've lost some too so again, what do we gain?

The DHS rebirth was a mess. DCA gets a massive overhaul, and again gets money put towards it. AK fixes up what's there, IMPROVES what's there (except with a couple of things). Walt Disney Studios in Paris gets several lands (not to mention they've been padded with a couple of solid attractions along the way). Why does DHS get the shaft?

yensidtlaw1969

I feel quite a few people on here hating on TSL dont have kids. Kids are going to LOVE this land. For a lot of young kids, Slinky Dog will be their first coaster. If Disney felt the need to scale back on Hollywood Studios then I’d rather they did two good/great lands than 4 lands which need to be scaled back money wise
Kids ARE going to love this land . . . the issue as I see it is that for 60+ years Disney was capable of designing and building lands for both kids and adults to enjoy, but for some reason on this one they bunted and felt that would be good enough. Kids love Fantasyland, kids love Tomorrowland, kids love Adventureland, but all of those lands are rich enough in their offerings to entertain different generations and FOR generations. Here they built a flat ride and an exposed structure coaster - a well-rounded land those do not make. And certainly not when they managed to spend more money on it than many of the most beloved lands created in the 6 resorts around the world. I do think that's a point worth mentioning - the average guest will never know the price tag, but that doesn't mean more bang shouldn't have been gotten for that buck.

Oddly enough, if Disney had decided to piggy-back two rides like this onto Toy Story Mania in a smaller footprint and lower price point to make a Toy Story Mini-land within the park, I think I would love that. At Disneyland the Mad Tea Party butting up to their Alice dark ride makes for a wonderful and charming little area that's part of a larger space and no one complains that the property wasn't offered a larger footprint. I simply don't see the justification for the sprawl of this land, at least not yet. Maybe from inside we'll REALLY feel like I've shrunk to the size of a toy, but Disney's done that before and never needed so much space. I think of A Bug's Land at DCA . . . which is another example of a kiddie-land no doubt, but is perhaps a third the size of the Toy Story Land plot - and has more attractions!

I say all of this as someone who's been an enormous Toy Story Fan from the first movie and continues to be. I'd love to think that I can share an exciting adventure with these characters in Andy's backyard. But when the first rendering telegraphs that the new land is going to under-deliver on such a popular, cross-generational franchise - and then they scale back plans from that - it seems like a there's problem. Especially in a park that needs much more than 2 new unambitious rides taking up a lot of land. I'm ready to enjoy it for what it is next time I'm at the park, but I won't apologize for expecting more from a company that's conditioned me to and charges much for the privilege.

Indy_UK

I understand everyone points but Land wise, wasn’t it just land that was either unused or part of the backlot tour? I don’t really consider that wasted space when we didn’t have it to start with. Plus I bet if they had midway mania but added two tiny rides from the other toy story lands then people would cause Disney of cost cutting even more

lazyboy97o

I understand everyone points but Land wise, wasn’t it just land that was either unused or part of the backlot tour? I don’t really consider that wasted space when we didn’t have it to start with. Plus I bet if they had midway mania but added two tiny rides from the other toy story lands then people would cause Disney of cost cutting even more
Being previously unused or part of the Backlot Tour isn’t relevant to the poor use of space. It is a massive amount of area that had paid physical improvements and is now “used.” The land occupies a large area for no other purpose than to occupy a large area, so that it can be sold as “big.”

Goofyernmost

Kids ARE going to love this land . . . the issue as I see it is that for 60+ years Disney was capable of designing and building lands for both kids and adults to enjoy, but for some reason on this one they bunted and felt that would be good enough. Kids love Fantasyland, kids love Tomorrowland, kids love Adventureland, but all of those lands are rich enough in their offerings to entertain different generations and FOR generations. Here they built a flat ride and an exposed structure coaster - a well-rounded land those do not make. And certainly not when they managed to spend more money on it than many of the most beloved lands created in the 6 resorts around the world. I do think that's a point worth mentioning - the average guest will never know the price tag, but that doesn't mean more bang shouldn't have been gotten for that buck.

Oddly enough, if Disney had decided to piggy-back two rides like this onto Toy Story Mania in a smaller footprint and lower price point to make a Toy Story Mini-land within the park, I think I would love that. At Disneyland the Mad Tea Party butting up to their Alice dark ride makes for a wonderful and charming little area that's part of a larger space and no one complains that the property wasn't offered a larger footprint. I simply don't see the justification for the sprawl of this land, at least not yet. Maybe from inside we'll REALLY feel like I've shrunk to the size of a toy, but Disney's done that before and never needed so much space. I think of A Bug's Land at DCA . . . which is another example of a kiddie-land no doubt, but is perhaps a third the size of the Toy Story Land plot - and has more attractions!

I say all of this as someone who's been an enormous Toy Story Fan from the first movie and continues to be. I'd love to think that I can share an exciting adventure with these characters in Andy's backyard. But when the first rendering telegraphs that the new land is going to under-deliver on such a popular, cross-generational franchise - and then they scale back plans from that - it seems like a there's problem. Especially in a park that needs much more than 2 new unambitious rides taking up a lot of land. I'm ready to enjoy it for what it is next time I'm at the park, but I won't apologize for expecting more from a company that's conditioned me to and charges much for the privilege.
No they have not. Walt never once said that parents and kids would love everything equally. He said that parents and children could experience them together and not have to sit on a park bench waiting for them to finish. That misunderstood conception has been kicking around forever. I didn't like Dumbo, I didn't like the Raceway, I didn't like the Teacups, I didn't like a lot of damn things, but, I did like being able to go on them with my children and experiencing it with them. It seems that the only places that really do exclude children are those that are geared toward adults. Do we see anything wrong with that? No? Of course we don't because we think it should be just for adults or that all adults have to absolutely love everything that kids love. That isn't possible in any world, but, we still can ride with them and share in their excitement if we weren't so deep into ourselves that we cannot see that.

TSL was not "under-developed", it was developed exactly to the degree that they decided they wanted to develop it. Just as soon as we all own our own theme park, we can do what we want to do with it. If we are unable to withhold money from them to show our dissatisfaction and even if we did it would need enough people to make a difference before we have any control over it. It would also be stupid to do everything at once. The operation would be out of control and there would be nothing left to add to it at a later date.

Goofyernmost

Actually, it was approved and announced in lieu of Cars Land.

First they went ambitious with a four-phase project costing $2.8 billion. Then they dialed it back considerably to free up monies to the other parks (the plan announced at D23 ‘15) Then they realized they dialed it back too far and approved Mickey (announced D23 ‘17) and started investigating another new E ticket (the boat ride people want).
I initially read the word it as meaning cars land was approved, my mistake. But, did they actually say we are building this in place of Cars Land or did you just assume that was what happened. Because as much as there was support for Car Land coming to Florida there was also a lot of objections to it. Stupid objections, I thought, but, objections none the less. I didn't see or hear any official announcement, but, since they hadn't said originally that Cars Land was going there it wasn't in lieu of it, it was instead of what many wanted, being Cars Land. It was actually instead of many other options as well.

The entire point of my posting what I have posted was to perhaps shed a little light on the fact that we are getting what we are getting. It is not going to make everyone happy, but, with this crowd nothing would. It is designed for the younger audience and every single thing in it can be experienced by adults along with their kids. No one said they have to love it, that isn't the point and never has been.

ToTBellHop

I initially read the word it as meaning cars land was approved, my mistake. But, did they actually say we are building this in place of Cars Land or did you just assume that was what happened. Because as much as there was support for Car Land coming to Florida there was also a lot of objections to it. Stupid objections, I thought, but, objections none the less. I didn't see or hear any official announcement, but, since they hadn't said originally that Cars Land was going there it wasn't in lieu of it, it was instead of what many wanted, being Cars Land. It was actually instead of many other options as well.

The entire point of my posting what I have posted was to perhaps shed a little light on the fact that we are getting what we are getting. It is not going to make everyone happy, but, with this crowd nothing would. It is designed for the younger audience and every single thing in it can be experienced by adults along with their kids. No one said they have to love it, that isn't the point and never has been.
Many of us are aware of decisions that went unannounced. The closest anyone got to official was Mangum suggesting during the big reveal of TSL that it was “like” Cars Land. Awful word choice. I’m not against kiddie lands. I actually like Storybook Circus and especially like Toontown out west. DL’s Toontown is a wonderful use of space, has placemaking and a level of detail anyone can appreciate. It should have been the model.

Pedro Soto

Well said, exactly what I was thinking

ToTBellHop

Will said, exactly what I was thinking
As much as we like to imagine they have infinite space in Florida (and they have lots), there is only so much they will use. Out of cheapness, they opted to not expand DHS’s boundaries in the redo, so they chose to limit the acreage for expansion. We are getting about 25 acres of “expansion” (really just repurposing existing park space that was underutilized) and this eats up 44% of that.

If they had followed the $2.8 billion plan that the Board approved, no one would be calling them cheap.

TabulaRasa

As much as we like to imagine they have infinite space in Florida (and they have lots), there is only so much they will use. Out of cheapness, they opted to not expand DHS’s boundaries in the redo, so they chose to limit the acreage for expansion. We are getting about 25 acres of “expansion” (really just repurposing existing park space that was underutilized) and this eats up 44% of that.

If they had followed the $2.8 billion plan that the Board approved, no one would be calling them cheap.
Since the plan isn't going forward. Do you want to share what was proposed outside of Carsland? Was Monstropolis an actual serious proposal?

ToTBellHop

Since the plan isn't going forward. Do you want to share what was proposed outside of Carsland? Was Monstropolis an actual serious proposal?
Yes. And an Indiana Jones land. Instead we will get about $1 billion invested in the two lands we get. I don’t have a final number on Mickey but I’d hazard $300,000,000. It had its budget increased. So ballpark $1.3 bn.

djkidkaz

Yes. And an Indiana Jones land. Instead we will get about $1 billion invested in the two lands we get. I don’t have a final number on Mickey but I’d hazard $300,000,000. It had its budget increased. So ballpark $1.3 bn.

So Indiana Jones land idea was moved to DAK to take over dinosaur area?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom