Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's yet to be seen, but, I think DSH's TSL will have a leg up over the others precisely because the land itself is so big, helping you to feel small. The largeness of the coaster and full berminess in the form of the fencing will help alleviate the feel of cheapness land-wise. The large murals on the buildings will also help.

Just got to remember that they're trying to faithfully re-create cheap plastic and wooden toys, so, that form of cheapness won't go away.

Casper Gutman

Have you visited Dinorama?
Dinorama looks exactly like what it’s supposed to be, even if folks don’t like what it’s supposed to be. It was also squeezed into an unused portion of the park and not touted as a major, park-enhancing addition.

On that note, one thing that has struck me is that, even if the scale and immersion work (very debatable), TSL doesn’t really FEEL like anything from any of the films. Unless I’m misremembering, we never really spend significant time in Andy’s yard - the locations are Andy’s room, Al’s apartment, the Toy Barn, the daycare center, etc. The new wave of franchise lands generally tries to invoke specific filmic locations - Diagon, Radiator Springs, Pandora. Even SWGE is highly reminiscent of Tatooine and centers around the very recognizable Falcon. This may be one reason TSL strikes me as arbitrary and lacking in immersion - it feels like a theme park area decorated with franchise elements rather then a location from the world of the franchise.

JohnD

I can safely say while this forum may be the first at juvenile jokes, we won't be the last after TSL opens. That observation will be made A LOT. My goodness, they have a ride in MK whose acronym is MILF!

Don’t shoot the messenger. Found on Florida Memes page on FB. (Yes, I know that isn’t Woody.)

461BB9A8-FAC6-47A8-A7BE-0B2796B8855F.jpeg

Indy_UK

People are still being harsh on our TSL before it has even opened. No, it’s a fairly off the shelf pair of rides but when added to mania, really makes it a land of substance.

It’s a land that is really needed, especially for the studios and the kids are going to love it. Us big kids have star wars next year

Goofyernmost

Personally, if we HAD to get a TSL, I would’ve preferred a copy of the others to check off the kiddie land boxes without wasting so much money and space, allowing Galaxy’s Edge and another new land. The fact that this was viewed as a reasonable substitute for Cars Land is laughable.
I don't think that anyone thinks of it as a "reasonable substitute for Cars Land", but, it is what we have. It was designed in the fashion that even Walt would have agreed with. It was a place for kids that allowed parents to be part of. I fail to see what is wrong with that or it's existence. The rest of you will get your fantasy fix with SWL, now how about letting the startup Disney lovers have something that they will remember fondly, not just those of us with stunted development who need our allegedly adult playground and don't like to share.

ToTBellHop

I don't think that anyone thinks of it as a "reasonable substitute for Cars Land", but, it is what we have. It was designed in the fashion that even Walt would have agreed with. It was a place for kids that allowed parents to be part of. I fail to see what is wrong with that or it's existence. The rest of you will get your fantasy fix with SWL, now how about letting the startup Disney lovers have something that they will remember fondly, not just those of us with stunted development who need our allegedly adult playground and don't like to share.
Actually, it was approved and announced in lieu of Cars Land.

First they went ambitious with a four-phase project costing $2.8 billion. Then they dialed it back considerably to free up monies to the other parks (the plan announced at D23 ‘15) Then they realized they dialed it back too far and approved Mickey (announced D23 ‘17) and started investigating another new E ticket (the boat ride people want).

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Actually, it was approved and announced in lieu of Cars Land.
So???? What does that have to do with anything. And when was Cars Land for WDW approved beyond it being a fan hopeful possibility? That is surely news to me! I'm sure it was built in lieu many things, almost anything you might care to think about, like a trump tower for example. All the obsession with what wasn't chosen is of little to no consequence to anybody. I almost bought a BMW once. I looked at it, I thought about it, and then decided to go with something different. That doesn't mean I once planned to have a BMW in my garage instead of my VW. It just means I considered it.

yensidtlaw1969

All the obsession with what wasn't chosen is of little to no consequence to anybody. I almost bought a BMW once. I looked at it, I thought about it, and then decided to go with something different. That doesn't mean I once planned to have a BMW in my garage instead of my VW. It just means I considered it.
Except in reality guests are being asked to pay a premium price for what is purported as a premium Theme Park Experience. Cars Land, with it's massive E-Ticket Radiator Springs Racers, is much more a premium experience than anything being offered in the nice looking but insufficient new Toy Story Land.

If you'd paid to rent a BMW and they gave you the keys to that VW, I bet you'd have something to say about it.

With every resource they put into it, Toy Story Land should have been able to stand among the best, most exciting Family-oriented lands Disney has ever created. From the outside, it doesn't even appear that it will crack the top ten.

Goofyernmost

Except in reality guests are being asked to pay a premium price for what is purported as a premium Theme Park Experience. Cars Land, with it's massive E-Ticket Radiator Springs Racers, is much more a premium experience than anything being offered in the nice looking but insufficient new Toy Story Land.

If you'd paid to rent a BMW and they gave you the keys to that VW, I bet you'd have something to say about it.

With every resource they put into it, Toy Story Land should have been able to stand among the best, most exciting Family-oriented lands Disney has ever created. From the outside, it doesn't even appear that it will crack the top ten.
How much of your admission price would you directly put toward TSL. We all individually decide what parts of any theme park make the cost worthwhile. You can't have a billion dollar attraction next door and say the park isn't worth it because you don't happen to have an interest in one small part of the park. If I paid that amount to just see TSL I would be upset, but, if I did that I would be an idiot. I don't have to have a personal connection to that land to realize that others do and to them a portion of their payment was for that. They may also hate SWL, should they get refunded or is a theme park the sum of it's parts and not the individual personal worth of any one of those parts. To carry it a step further, no one ever promised anyone a Cars Land. It was talked about by fan groups, but, if it was ever considered it didn't garner enough support to make it happen. The biggest argument I heard for not having Cars Land was that OMG, we can't have a clone in a Disney Park. Like it never happened before. There are times when the public is its own worst enemy.

lazyboy97o

Apparently only Christine is allowed to be critical of the cost of Toy Story Land.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So???? What does that have to do with anything. And when was Cars Land for WDW approved beyond it being a fan hopeful possibility?
No one said it was approved.

But it was a serious proposal. Without one single fan being involved.

if it was ever considered it didn't garner enough support to make it happen..
It had plenty of support.

Goofyernmost

No one said it was approved.

But it was a serious proposal. Without one single fan being involved.

It had plenty of support.
Yes, it was stated that it was approved, go back a few posts and I said it might have been a serious proposal but, it wasn't chosen was it? And it may have had plenty of support, but, obviously not enough or it would be there wouldn't it. The support did not outweigh the power of the decisions makers so it isn't there, we weren't owed it. I wish it had come to Florida as well, but, it didn't, it won't be and it's over. Can we act like adults and not a bunch of spoiled kids that didn't get their own way. I have repeatedly stated, if one doesn't like what they put in there don't freaking go to it. Don't spend money at WDW. We all know that isn't going to happen so why continuously focus on the might have been with the sole purpose of putting down what we did get. It's childish and without logic. It's crap like that, that continues to bring these discussion down to whiny little boring fits of entitlement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom