Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

trainplane3

I'm kind of curious how much the Slinky coaster cost them. Since most major coasters run $15m-$20m (with some hitting $25m), I can't see it being more than a $10m coaster in a non-Disney park.

lazyboy97o

I'm kind of curious how much the Slinky coaster cost them. Since most major coasters run $15m-$20m (with some hitting $25m), I can't see it being more than a $10m coaster in a non-Disney park.
Just the ex works cost of a good coaster from the likes of Mack Rides would be in the low teens. That’s usually about half your total cost. Time Traveler at Silver Dollar City is costing $26 million and Slinky Dog Dash is at least double that amount.

trainplane3

Just the ex works cost of a good coaster from the likes of Mack Rides would be in the low teens. That’s usually about half your total cost. Time Traveler at Silver Dollar City is costing $26 million and Slinky Dog Dash is at least double that amount.
And TT is a unique, custom, ride built on a hill with pretty decent theming. I usually track stuff happening at Cedar Point and most of their stuff is $25m+. This little coaster should not be double the amount of the big players, even with theming added in.

Casper Gutman

Hogsmeade was $165 Million. TSL will come in between $250-275 Million.
This is part of what is so frustrating about Disney. They quite consistently choose the "cheap" option and yet end up spending far, far more than they should anyway.

For the amount of money WDW is spending on the weak MGM "makeover" that will leave the park with most of the same problems it has always had, a company that spends more wisely (like, say, Uni) could have completed a redo that genuinely fixes the park.

Goofyernmost

Nobody has said Disney isn’t free to spend whatever they want. However it is clear that the costs at WDI are out of control when you look at what they get for their dollar. Disney has plenty of attractions including newish ones that break down constantly so that’s a deeply flawed argument on your part.

The point is (and it shouldn’t need explained) toy story land should not cost significantly more than Potter round 1. The fact that it did is not because potter breaks down constantly, or because it will end up in the scrap heap, or because TSL has a bunch of trees. It’s because WDI spending is out of control. I realize you don’t actually know how any of this works but those of us that do understand and see the issues from the inside out.
The point of my post was and still is that it is none of our freaking business how much then spend. It shouldn't even be a topic of discussion. As in, who gives a rat butt. We don't control it, we don't have any say in it and we are only speculating about what it should cost to build anything unless we have built a theme park of our own. If they had money left over the only place it would have gone would have been into the pockets of the executives that are already grossly overpaid. I'd rather they threw it away on other things. Adding more to the project would have just added more cost. I will repeat, they are spending money that they have, they are still creating a profit, they are still keeping the parks alive and we still have a place to go and b itch about. It would be more productive to just go beat your head against a wall. Nothing that is happening is covered under any law. This isn't public money. Now if you want to have a legitimate fight, I had better not see a military parade paid for by OUR money.

Goofyernmost

My problem is you constantly spewing ignorant nonsense and then demanding it be the bounds of all posts. I don’t have to know the cost of mature trees offhand to realize you are again posting bunk. Using mature trees is not something extreme nor are the costs some big secret, and they most definitely aren’t going to drive up the cost of a project by tens of millions of dollars.
It was a posted thought, it was never projected as fact nor presented for debate unless you know EXACTLY what the cost were for that specific part of the project. Your problem is that every time I say anything that you perceive as any support of Disney you jump at the opportunity to throw out a bunch of pointless words to attempt to contradict anything I say. The problem is that you are not saying anything that has any bearing on what I am talking about. If you don't want to read my ignorant nonsense put me on ignore. Either that or tell me what my mentioning that they are transplanting a forest to that sight and wondering how much of an expense along with speculating about how many people don't think of that as a cost of the project, is spewing ignorant nonsense. But, I guess you would know what ignorant nonsense is since you use it so often yourself. Oh, and btw, when reading a post, words are used to communicate if you are going to go to the dictionary to define the every word without taking into consideration the context of the usage, it is likely that no one will ever be able to communicate with you.

Movielover

It’s a DVC booth.

aladdin_geniecheering_sq.gif

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
For the amount of money WDW is spending on the weak MGM "makeover" that will leave the park with most of the same problems it has always had, a company that spends more wisely (like, say, Uni) could have completed a redo that genuinely fixes the park.

For the same amount of money I'm sure Uni could re-do the park, but, I wouldn't go so far to say that a Uni re-do would be "a fix." As great as the Potterlands are, Uni also makes a lot of less-than-wonderful choices.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The point of my post was and still is that it is none of our freaking business how much then spend. It shouldn't even be a topic of discussion.

This is a Disney World fan site, you can you possibly expect people here not care about what Disney spends on something, because in the end they are spending our money! You just seem to lack understand of how things work in any fan community. Discussing things like this might not interest you, but they do interest some people, so if you don't like it just move on. I see things discussed all the time here that I don't care about, but I am not going to give someone a hard time for wanting to discuss them.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I know it has been mentioned many times that the entire area will be closed off and become backstage. Why wouldn't they leave it open up to the 2nd archway, wall it off there and leave the already themed area as an expanded meet and greet area. They have definitely not built anything for meet and greets in the new area.

This is the one thing that still puzzles me about this project. I just can't see there NOT being an M&G for Toy Story characters, it's just not clear where it's going to be.

HwdStudio

Toy story land has already been outgrown by the crowds. I wish this had been much bigger and at least 6 attractions. Just my opinion.

Goofyernmost

This is a Disney World fan site, you can you possibly expect people here not care about what Disney spends on something, because in the end they are spending our money! You just seem to lack understand of how things work in any fan community. Discussing things like this might not interest you, but they do interest some people, so if you don't like it just move on. I see things discussed all the time here that I don't care about, but I am not going to give someone a hard time for wanting to discuss them.
Let me point out that I made a simple comment on the possible cost of planting a forest. I didn't say it was good or bad, I just mentioned that many people don't even think about how much that must have added to the cost. The others are the ones that somehow thought that I was supporting how much they spend, not I. I don't give a crap what they spend and anyone that thinks that if they spent less there would be any benefit to Disney fans is living in a dream world far more deeply that any of us can fathom. You want to direct that "advise" to your buddies that seem to spend an inordinate amount of time finding fault and thinking that they just invented the wheel.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Let me point out that I made a simple comment on the possible cost of planting a forest. I didn't say it was good or bad, I just mentioned that many people don't even think about how much that must have added to the cost. The others are the ones that somehow thought that I was supporting how much they spend, not I. I don't give a crap what they spend and anyone that thinks that if they spent less there would be any benefit to Disney fans is living in a dream world far more deeply that any of us can fathom. You want to direct that "advise" to your buddies that seem to spend an inordinate amount of time finding fault and thinking that you just invented the wheel.

You're arguing for the sake of arguing. Again.

For someone who chastises others for being rude, your continuous combative posts are that in spades.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom