Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

danlb_2000

Premium Member
FP.jpg

You win! :)

Marlins1

It will clearly have a similar style. Just bigger with better rides. It'll be a hit with elementary school kids and those that enjoy the All Stars, Pop, and AoA. Those with more refined tastes got the bulk of the good news last weekend (Star Wars, AVATAR, RoL, night safaris, Soarin).
It is possible to appreciate both styles of entertainment - I know I do. I think the wide range of experiences is a part of what makes MK so great. I'm a Poly, AKL fan but I still really enjoyed AOA when we stayed their a couple of times with my daughter and her friend.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

The premise is you are riding on the back of a slinky toy on toy tracks in the shape of a roller coaster. I suppose you could more lavishly design the tracks to look like (say) tinkertoys put together, but I don't think that would enhance the experience. The extra pieces of track around is what contributes the theme.
Slinky Dog is being used in lieu of the the toy's actual coaster train. It is a toy roller coaster providing the experience of riding a roller coaster. The extra pieces of track do not change that the experience is one of riding a roller coaster; they just play up a theoretical different layout that would still be the experience of riding a [toy] roller coaster.

Marlins1

Slinky Dog is being used in lieu of the the toy's actual coaster train. It is a toy roller coaster providing the experience of riding a roller coaster. The extra pieces of track do not change that the experience is one of riding a roller coaster; they just play up a theoretical different layout that would still be the experience of riding a [toy] roller coaster.
The premise of the ride is in fact simple but I still think the environment looks very nice and will make this an enjoyable experience. Most of the back half of this park has always been ugly IMO with big plain studio buildings, warehouses and random set pieces. These projects are going to make this park look a lot better and the appearance of Disney parks is a huge part of the experience. By the way I think the slinky dog car is the silliest looking part of this ride.

lazyboy97o

The premise of the ride is in fact simple but I still think the environment looks very nice and will make this an enjoyable experience. Most of the back half of this park has always been ugly IMO with big plain studio buildings, warehouses and random set pieces. These projects are going to make this park look a lot better and the appearance of Disney parks is a huge part of the experience. By the way I think the slinky dog car is the silliest looking part of this ride.
There is no guessing as to the look of the land, it has already been done twice and still doesn't impress.

LuckyOswald

There is no guessing as to the look of the land, it has already been done twice and still doesn't impress.
I know there are a fair share of people not enjoying this theming, but as someone said SWL will (imo) knock it out of the park in the theming department. This land is to bring an IP in that kids recognize and enjoy (I.e NOT Aerosmith or Twilight Zone) and do something with the park besides having empty buildings sitting around unused. I was actually sad on my last visit to the Studios because it was a barren, husk of a park. I think/hope they're doing TSL because it's something they can do quick(ish) to start drastically improving this park. If they decided to only focus on SWL everyone would be grumbling about having to wait so long for that. They recognize the park's poor state.

lazyboy97o

I know there are a fair share of people not enjoying this theming, but as someone said SWL will (imo) knock it out of the park in the theming department. This land is to bring an IP in that kids recognize and enjoy (I.e NOT Aerosmith or Twilight Zone) and do something with the park besides having empty buildings sitting around unused. I was actually sad on my last visit to the Studios because it was a barren, husk of a park. I think/hope they're doing TSL because it's something they can do quick(ish) to start drastically improving this park. If they decided to only focus on SWL everyone would be grumbling about having to wait so long for that. They recognize the park's poor state.
Theming is not some limited resource that has to be rationed out to different projects. Even the Toy Story films have a few locations more defined than a messy yard.

roj2323

I got bored so I figured I'd take a crack at the 12 acre Toy Story Land plot. Both idea areas are exactly 12 acres:

This option would use the breezeway between Toy story and the former Capt. Jack thing. With this option mermaid and One man's could stay but earful tower would have to go. =(
20070992374_c99fddeb64_o.png

With this option (the more likely IMO) Mermaid and One man's get bulldozed but Earful tower would remain.
20072614493_959cceabd4_o.png

LuckyOswald

Theming is not some limited resource that has to be rationed out to different projects. Even the Toy Story films have a few locations more defined than a messy yard.
Well yes...my hope is they are able to improve on what I've seen of the other two Toy Story iterations. I never said it is a perfect idea, but I get the reasoning behind it. I much prefer getting something quickly in place than walking through a wasteland. But I will grant you it isn't the most immersive theme out there.

lazyboy97o

Well yes...my hope is they are able to improve on what I've seen of the other two Toy Story iterations. I never said it is a perfect idea, but I get the reasoning behind it. I much prefer getting something quickly in place than walking through a wasteland. But I will grant you it isn't the most immersive theme out there.
Where is this idea of it being different coming from? The art shows the exact same aesthetic as the Toy Story Playlands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom