Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

WDWFREAK53

Not that I totally disagree....but ;)

This coaster is a "toy" by Andy. How in the world is Andy supposed to build a indoor E Ticket ride in his back yard? Sometimes the "cheaper" option fits the direction better.

And an off-the-Shelf outdoor coaster is a better fit for a roadside carnival too. Yay for Primeval Whirl! Do you think you’ve made the case that a better use of the land to warrant better attractions could’ve been done? A better attraction could’ve been a Test Track inspired ride themed to be a slot-car Track. (CarsLand utilized the tech...)

smile

Looking at TSL is like having flesh eating worms in your eyes.

It's like a really garish version of Camp Snoopy.

not too far removed, is it?
... and the fact such an aesthetic has been a global invasion gives me great pause

where's the one place it's not?
that's right
;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And an off-the-Shelf outdoor coaster is a better fit for a roadside carnival too. Yay for Primeval Whirl! Do you think you’ve made the case that a better use of the land to warrant better attractions could’ve been done? A better attraction could’ve been a Test Track inspired ride themed to be a slot-car Track. (CarsLand utilized the tech...)

I think there'd be less hate for Primeval Whirl if it were a better coaster even if it remained mostly unthemed. People complain of its anti-chiropracty deficits moreso than it "doesn't fit a Disney theme park." If it were a fun ride, they'd complain "don't touch my [insert name of a better coaster here]!"

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
andy bought a video game!
... that just to happens to include.... all of his disparate toys.............

It's not supposed to be a video game but a physical game set. It looks like a video game to us as part of the mechanics of a simulation a physical game set. All the disparate toys mushed together in one scenario is something Andy does regularly (cf. opening sequences of the Toy Story movies) and the toys do on their own.

WDWYankee15

Let me ease your concern...

You will most definitely see the roof of AlSwS. You will see the top of the Chinese Theater. You will see the 'gravity building' of RnRC (now in lovely shades of blue).

TSL was not built to keep you from seeing tall structures of the park from atop a rollercoaster. Their own 1PPOV video from long ago showed that these things would be visible. WDW was quite upfront about it.

You may now proceed to rage...
There are all sorts of buildings "outside of Andy's yard." It's part of the story. Immersion at its finest! :)

Castle Cake Apologist

And who doesn't live near a highway? Or a movie theater? Or a rebel outpost?

Totally normal.

;)

So we're normal sized people when we see those buildings, but go back to being the size of an amoeba once we can't see them anymore? I just want to make sure I understand, since we've already established that consistent scale doesn't matter in a land literally based around scaling you down to a different size.

If you're asking a person to pretend that they're tiny, then visual intrusions from normal sized things in the outside world are most certainly a problem, regardless of if you want to admit it or not. Surely they wouldn't have disguised the parking garage as a giant fence if this wasn't the case?

Like come on guys, everybody pretty much hated all the other different versions of this land that they've already built for all the same reasons that people are wary about this one, but now that we're getting one... none of those things matter?

Kman101

The overall look of the land will be similar in most aspects, but I think the layout and different rides can help set it apart and make it the "better" of the lands. We all know what the land is but I don't see the need to constantly repeat how awful it is and act like, "well, factually, this is why this is terrible and why are the rest of you not jumping on my bandwagon". Hate away, that's fine, it's not everyone's cup of tea but I'm not going to stress myself out about some of the things that people see as a problem. But that's me. And we're all different.

I haven't been to either Toy Story Land. I've seen video walkthroughs, pictures. It's not the same at all as being there but I can't say I loved them. It was a lot of plastic. But to many guests they'll love being in this land. It's not for everyone. It's basic at it's core but I don't think there's anything wrong with that. But I think it's how you choose to view it.

Anyway, because our layout is different and the rides are better, IMHO, I think it will be a little better and I'm personally open to giving it a chance despite my misgivings about things looking too plastic, but then, that's toys. Plastic. But I get why some people just don't like the look.

Like a lot of things, I'm fairly in the middle on this.

It's here, it's opening in a few months. But this thread is just a repeat of the same things now.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
So we're normal sized people when we see those buildings, but go back to being the size of an amoeba once we can't see them anymore? I just want to make sure I understand, since we've already established that consistent scale doesn't matter in a land literally based around scaling you down to a different size.

If you're asking a person to pretend that they're tiny, then visual intrusions from normal sized things in the outside world are most certainly a problem, regardless of if you want to admit it or not. Surely they wouldn't have disguised the parking garage as a giant fence if this wasn't the case?

Like come on guys, everybody pretty much hated all the other different versions of this land that they've already built for all the same reasons that people are wary about this one, but now that we're getting one... none of those things matter?

I've seen pictures of the one in Paris and I didn't like it. I'm hoping DHS's is better. Seems it will be, but there's no guarantee. So, I'll hold off any nerdrage until I see it done.

Castle Cake Apologist

I've seen pictures of the one in Paris and I didn't like it. I'm hoping DHS's is better. Seems it will be, but there's no guarantee. So, I'll hold off any nerdrage until I see it done.

"Nerdrage" is a fantastic new word.

I'm also going to give it a fair shot when it opens, but the odds are slim that we're going to be pleasantly surprised here. The decorations will be largely the same as all the other TSLs. Yes, ours has admittedly better rides (not a very high achievement) and will be bigger, but overall it will still just be over sized fiberglass props and questionable attention to detail.

No Name

I'm more bothered that the land makes no attempt to fit the park.

Not that I totally disagree....but ;)

This coaster is a "toy" by Andy. How in the world is Andy supposed to build a indoor E Ticket ride in his back yard? Sometimes the "cheaper" option fits the direction better.

Andy's toy coaster has safety walkways and railing along all of the launches? Gears and pumps under the track, nuts and bolts connecting it? It's hard to pass something off as a toy when it looks exactly the same as any real-life version of the thing that you'd find anywhere else. By that standard, I wonder why they decided to hide the parking garage, they could've just claimed it's his toy matchbox car set! Along with his toy Chinese Theater and toy green shed and blue building and whatnot. It's a cop-out.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I'm more bothered that the land makes no attempt to fit the park.

Andy's toy coaster has safety walkways and railing along all of the launches? Gears and pumps under the track, nuts and bolts connecting it? It's hard to pass something off as a toy when it looks exactly the same as any real-life version of the thing that you'd find anywhere else. By that standard, I wonder why they decided to hide the parking garage, they could've just claimed it's his toy matchbox car set! Along with his toy Chinese Theater and toy green shed and blue building and whatnot. It's a cop-out.

And Africa the real place doesn't have trash cans every 30 feet, so, obviously, the Africa section of AK is a cop out!!

These arguments become really disingenuous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom