Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Next Big Thing

On the topic of proper scale within the land, how to you put any live plants or trees in the land and have the scale work?
The bamboo in Hong Kong looked like it works... hopefully they use that here. Other than that though, it's pretty much impossible to use any other trees and have the land stay to scale. Of course with such a ridiculous premise, the lands will be off-scale anyway.

Amidala

In your opinion, of course.

I'd say it's blasphemy to call full blown AA shows a B-ticket.

I will say...I don't think the term "E-Ticket" (as we use it now) necessarily needs to be synonymous with "A good/valuable ride." Tron is considered an E-Ticket, but most wouldn't argue that Tron is an imagineering masterwork on a level w/ Splash Mountain.

I can't see how CBJ, HoP or CoP would be considered E-Tickets in the present day...Of course they pushed the boundaries of technology when they were new, but there have been incredible advancements since then (advancements these attractions paved the way for). That doesn't mean these attractions aren't valuable in their own right, or even that they don't still have mass appeal. But if the E-Ticket system still existed, rides like Soarin', FoP, ToT and others would "cost" the most to ride. I'm assuming that's all @RSoxNo1 was saying?

RSoxNo1

In your opinion, of course.

I'd say it's blasphemy to call full blown AA shows a B-ticket.
I think in today's world, E-tickets would be dictated by demand. Having said that, from a strict, "what is it?" standpoint, I'd say that CBJ and CoP are C's and the Tiki Room is a B.

For comparison (and to bring this back on track). My expectations for Toy Story Land are Alien Swirling Saucers is a B, Slinky Dog Dash is a C, and Toy Story Mania is a D

Next Big Thing

For comparison (and to bring this back on track). My expectations for Toy Story Land are Alien Swirling Saucers is a B, Slinky Dog Dash is a C, and Toy Story Mania is a D
I agree with that. However now you've put Swirling Saucers - a 1:30 whip ride - in the same category as technologically complex and long 15-20 minute shows such as HoP, CoP, CBJ and Tiki Room. And in most cases these shows are entertaining and even educational in some cases.

Let's also not downplay demand on some of these shows, either. CoP and CBJ are playing to just about full houses all day lately. Not sure about Tiki.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Wasn't the whole point of the ticketing system (originally) just to get people riding the rides they may not have otherwise opted to ride and to limit the rides on the most popular rides? An original Disneyland ticket book would contain a pretty large number of A and B tickets, with fewer C and D tickets, and only a small number of E tickets. The expectation was that the E-tickets would be the most popular/lowest capacity attractions and to keep the lines from getting too long, they limited the number of times you could ride the popular attractions. If a ride didn't get much riders or was super high capacity, they gave it an A ticket because people had tons of A-tickets to use. Like today's FastPass system, you spread out the lines and prevent the popular rides from having insane lines while the less popular rides send out at well under capacity.

As such, matching "quality" or length of a product to it's ticket level is essentially irrelevant and an attraction that opens as an "E-ticket" could fluctuate to a "D" or "C" ticket over time if it has high enough capacity and the interest in the attraction wanes. An attraction like UoE or County Bears (if Disney still used a ticketing system) could easily be an "A" or "B" ticket attraction now simply because they have such high capacity and low demand.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Wasn't the whole point of the ticketing system (originally) just to get people riding the rides they may not have otherwise opted to ride and to limit the rides on the most popular rides? An original Disneyland ticket book would contain a pretty large number of A and B tickets, with fewer C and D tickets, and only a small number of E tickets. The expectation was that the E-tickets would be the most popular/lowest capacity attractions and to keep the lines from getting too long, they limited the number of times you could ride the popular attractions. If a ride didn't get much riders or was super high capacity, they gave it an A ticket because people had tons of A-tickets to use. Like today's FastPass system, you spread out the lines and prevent the popular rides from having insane lines while the less popular rides send out at well under capacity.

As such, matching "quality" or length of a product to it's ticket level is essentially irrelevant and an attraction that opens as an "E-ticket" could fluctuate to a "D" or "C" ticket over time if it has high enough capacity and the interest in the attraction wanes. An attraction like UoE or County Bears (if Disney still used a ticketing system) could easily be an "A" or "B" ticket attraction now simply because they have such high capacity and low demand.
Ticket level was not just about capacity, but also also and scope. The Jungle Cruise started as a C Ticket, and moved up as new tiers were added. It was also a continuation of how amusements operated. The idea of paying once for admission and all of the rides being included was not really a thing until Angus Wynn introduced the concept with the opening of Six Flags Over Texas.

EPCOTCenterLover

"An original Disneyland ticket book would contain a pretty large number of A and B tickets, with fewer C and D tickets, and only a small number of E tickets."

If I recall correctly, a 15 ticket book would hold 5 E Tickets, 4 D, 3 C, 2 B, and 1 A. Not the other way around.

MrHappy

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, isn't the letter classification moot as it relates to the actual in park experience. If anything, it's the Fastpass tier system that will drive your in park agenda in real life. Therefore, this letter classification discussion is just for argument sake online, and perhaps attraction portfolio diversity analysis for Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom