Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

EPCOTCenterLover

" In the past, there has been a general consensus (not held by everyone, but by a majority) that TSL in Hong Kong and Paris is the worst Disney has to offer - and that judgement wasn't based solely on the lackluster ride lineup. It was based on the fact that the areas looked garish and cheap and didn't adequately convey its theme. Now, with TSL coming to WDW - and in the key role of about half of the long-awaited MGM makeover - those opinions are suddenly a lot less popular."

But the opinions are no less true. ;)

wdrive

Discussion is talking about things that we know. If you spend your life creating things, that haven't yet happened, recent history tells you what you get. I'm not sure how it will all end up, so I cannot comment on it because I don't know. I do know and understand that in the world of theme park, fantasy entertainment a very large portion of the enjoyment comes from within ourselves. You folks are not discussing fact you are expressing your love or, in this case, your hatred for something that doesn't exist. You don't know what the end result will be and whatever judgement that is being made is based on a two dimensional piece of artwork coupled with, what I consider, a very misshaped thought that any amount of money can alter reality. Some of the simplest ideas and presentations have been long admired classics. Ask yourself, had they decided today to build Small World and all you had to base it on was a piece of artwork, what opinion do you think you would have of it? What? Riding around in a boat with primitive, wannabe AA's, to a song (which you wouldn't know about yet) that is embedded in you mind forever? Really, damn Disney is too cheap to make a real attraction! If the, to my amazement, much loved, Toad ride were to be proposed today. Would the "discussion" about the story line or the concept of the idea or would it be "Day-glow" cardboard cutouts laid along side of a stock roadside carnival track where you end up dying and going to hell going to be anything other then what a stupid shortcut. Disney is cutting back again and the accountants are calling the shots on that one.

What is being built is reality, we will be able to give it a thumbs up or thumbs down once we can see it in reality. Then discussion can be based on what is and not what we think it is going to be. We can discuss it now based on what we armchair imagineers think it should or shouldn't be as long as we all realize that we are speaking without knowledge and that is either side of it, including mine. We can knit-pick until the cows come home. If we want to hate it we will find a number of ways to make it something to hate. Things like scale, which is important, but, has many, many examples of not being all that important to the overall enjoyment of the attraction, is an argument that really doesn't hold water. If they had to rely on dream like proportion there would be no theme parks in the world.

All I'm saying is I don't think Toy Story Land is going to turn out very great, I might be wrong, no one knows. You're overthinking this.

ToTBellHop

Sure it's subjective, but at this point in time I think that park has two E tickets (Tower and RnRC). I'd say Star Tours is a very solid D, bordering an E, Toy Story is a D with E ticket popularity and GMR is a D for 2 more days. I have a hard time calling any "non-nighttime" show an E and I'd probably call Muppets a C and Indy a D (albeit a dated one).

Having said that, DHS is 2+ years away from being a park again, and at that point it's taking a huge step forward. Depending on the Epcot redesign timing, I could see Epcot being the lowest attended WDW park in 2019-2020.
It's obviously a matter of opinion. Aren't CBJ, HoP, and CoP traditionally viewed as Es?

NormC

The Toy Story Playlands are set in Andy’s backyard. Toy Story Land is not conceptual different from the Toy Story Playlands. Same story/experience, different rides.
I do not believe you are correct but I have no proof either way.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I do not believe you are correct but I have no proof either way. Continue.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/08/toy-story-playland-unveiled-at-disneyland-paris/

"Thanks to the creative minds of Pixar Studios and our Disney Imagineers, Guests of all ages can now feel what it’s like to be shrunk to the size of a toy and to become literally part of the Toy Story universe in Andy’s backyard."

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...and-officially-opens-at-hong-kong-disneyland/

"And you can experience the feeling of being shrunk to the size of a toy in Andy’s backyard to play with your favorite Toy Story friends"

NormC

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/08/toy-story-playland-unveiled-at-disneyland-paris/

"Thanks to the creative minds of Pixar Studios and our Disney Imagineers, Guests of all ages can now feel what it’s like to be shrunk to the size of a toy and to become literally part of the Toy Story universe in Andy’s backyard."

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...and-officially-opens-at-hong-kong-disneyland/

"And you can experience the feeling of being shrunk to the size of a toy in Andy’s backyard to play with your favorite Toy Story friends"
Thank you. I stand corrected.

Dan Deesnee

This is getting a little out of hand. I think what those defending this land are trying to get across is that the TSL's in other countries don't necessarily matter, this is not Shanghai or Tokyo or Paris or Norway or Antarctica, this is Disney World and one can only assume they will learn from their mistakes. I also think what those saying they have low expectations and don't like what they see are trying to get across is that we DO have a benchmark, these lands do exist elsewhere and based on what they see currently and in the art, they are not impressed.

I don't think anyone with either of those mind sets / opinions is wrong. I just think conversation would go better if people had more open minds on both sides of the argument but this is Disney and people are passionate about it. I know I am.

Just hoping for the best with this land. I like the art, I think Hollywood needed something besides just star wars, and I'm glad it's at least getting something that, to me, looks pretty neat and fun.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This is getting a little out of hand. I think what those defending this land are trying to get across is that the TSL's in other countries don't necessarily matter, this is not Shanghai or Tokyo or Paris or Norway or Antarctica, this is Disney World and one can only assume they will learn from their mistakes. I also think what those saying they have low expectations and don't like what they see are trying to get across is that we DO have a benchmark, these lands do exist elsewhere and based on what they see currently and in the art, they are not impressed.

This assumes that they believe the other two Toy Story Lands are mistakes.

sunsetblvd26

This assumes that they believe the other two Toy Story Lands are mistakes.
Well I think it's at least safe to assume that they know it isn't their absolute best work, if for no other reason than the fact that we simply aren't getting the international versions. Every indication so far (imo) is that they're trying to make a more improved version.

shortstop

On the topic of proper scale within the land, how to you put any live plants or trees in the land and have the scale work?
I know you're probably being mostly rhetorical but I'll answer anyways. Someone posted of a photo of HK's land having bamboo grass or something and I thought that looked good. As for trees, I'm not sure how it's possible. Hence Bug's Land in DCA using fake clovers for "landscaping".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom