Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Brian Swan

TSL is going to stick out like a sore thumb compared to pretty much everything else at WDW. Again, look at the TSL's in other Disney Parks around the world, all of which are out of place in the parks in which they are situated. Bugs at DCA is the only comparable example - these are chunks of much less impressive theme parks plopped down in the middle of what is supposed to be one of the best theme parks in the world. Even the average guest is going to notice the dramatic drop-off in theming and overall quality.
Actually, Bug's Land, for what it is (a kiddie land), has excellent theming; it effectively shrinks you down to the size of a bug and isolates you from the rest of the park. The rides hold no interest for me, but I love walking through the land and taking in the details. If TSL comes close to this, I'll be a happy camper.

Casper Gutman

Actually, Bug's Land, for what it is (a kiddie land), has excellent theming; it effectively shrinks you down to the size of a bug and isolates you from the rest of the park. The rides hold no interest for me, but I love walking through the land and taking in the details. If TSL comes close to this, I'll be a happy camper.

One thing Bug's Land has that none of the existing TSL's share is a consistent sense of scale - the toys vary wildly in size compared to one another and there's no sense of being tiny.

UpAllNight

The land looks bigger than the Paris & Hong Kong Versions so I feel like there's going to be a lot of empty space where the only themeing is the lights. The walkways in the concept art look like there's not a lot else going on.

One of the reasons the area in Paris works (to an extent) is the overload of theming as it's a relatively compact area.

Marc Davis Fan

The land looks bigger than the Paris & Hong Kong Versions so I feel like there's going to be a lot of empty space where the only themeing is the lights. The walkways in the concept art look like there's not a lot else going on.

One of the reasons the area in Paris works (to an extent) is the overload of theming as it's a relatively compact area.

This has been my biggest concern from the beginning. Looking at the concept art, the land appears very sparse compared to Paris and Hong Kong. I hope this is incorrect, because the "saving grace" of the land would be an abundance of interesting "giant versions of objects" to look at throughout. At least that would make it a cool place to walk around.

Flynnwriter

I think we know how you feel :) it's going to suck it's awful ... we get it
Why is being critical of Disney and hoping they achieve a higher level of design and peacemaking worth such condemnation? Disney should set standard for new ride systems and immersive experices, not buy someone else's and re theme them.

Kman101

Why is being critical of Disney and hoping they achieve a higher level of design and peacemaking worth such condemnation? Disney should set standard for new ride systems and immersive experices, not buy someone else's and re theme them.

It's not. I wish the same. But I don't think the land will be quite as lousy as some make it out to be. JMO :)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
@marni1971, I think you had said these two structure would connect together to form the new TSMM queue, but it really looks like there are going to be two separate buildings.

upload_2017-6-10_16-9-45.png

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971, I think you had said these two structure would connect together to form the new TSMM queue, but it really looks like there are going to be two separate buildings.

View attachment 209320
Yes, they're separate structures. There should be a canopy between the two, either a show prop or large trees, to form one covered queue area.

disneyC97

Critter Country has one of the favorite "E" tickets (Splash), a "reasonable "C" ticket (Pooh), shops,and a restaurant that's occasionally open. Toontown has one of the best "C" dark rides (Roger Rabbit), a kiddie coaster, and when it opened, the Jolly Trolly, two play areas, and a "food court" plus several M&Gs. And some of the best immersive theming in the park. Although "small" lands, I would consider them to be "lands". And I certainly seen them advertised as "lands" in Disney literature.
Critter Country also has the canoes.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Am I the only one baffled at how this shouldn't be opened by November/December.

Not really. The queue structures for TSSM and the Alien Saucer rides are still just foundations, the roof for the alien ride has not been started, and they haven't even started the demolition for the entrance to the land. Not to mention almost the entire land is surrounded by visual intrusions and other then the fence covering the garage we haven't seen how they are going to deal with any of that.

lazyboy97o

Disney has been buying ride systems from others since the 1950s. Interesting experiences can be created using established components and systems.

Fox&Hound

I don't care what the naysayers say, I am way too excited for this land! Maybe it is the love I have for the almost flawless Toy Story trilogy but I think this land is going to be great! TSMM is one of our family's favorites and to add a Mater's clone (one of our favorites from Carsland) and then add a coaster on top of that???? Yes, please. I love that this land will feel open and you get to step away from the giant box structures that plague much of DHS. I can't wait to walk around and for it to feel....open. Does that make sense? Add a great place to eat and I can already feel like this will be one of our favorite spots in DHS.

HMF

I don't care what the naysayers say, I am way too excited for this land! Maybe it is the love I have for the almost flawless Toy Story trilogy but I think this land is going to be great! TSMM is one of our family's favorites and to add a Mater's clone (one of our favorites from Carsland) and then add a coaster on top of that???? Yes, please. I love that this land will feel open and you get to step away from the giant box structures that plague much of DHS. I can't wait to walk around and for it to feel....open. Does that make sense? Add a great place to eat and I can already feel like this will be one of our favorite spots in DHS.
To be fair the "Naysayers" have two existing examples in Paris and Hong Kong to point to. That being said I am hoping this will blow those out of the water but it is good to be cautious.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom