Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

No Name

Toy Story Land has me worried for Space Ranger Spin in Tomorrowland.

Of course, SRS works just fine outside of TSL, but the people in charge these days don't seem to get it. They'll probably be scratching their heads... asking "well, how can we have a Toy Story ride outside of Toy Story Land?!" What they don't fully understand is that the theme matters, not the IP. Both rides are distinctly different. If Toy Story didn't exist, the two rides would have no relation. The people who designed and approved a second Toy Story themed shooting ride were well aware, and proud, of that. It wasn't some accident, it was planned that way.

Hong Kong, which added a Toy Story Land early this decade, is retheming their Buzz ride to a Marvel ride. Meanwhile, Shanghai's designers made the conscious decision to build a Buzz ride in Tomorrowland, despite having a seperate Toy Story Land planned all along. I like that decision. I like that thinking.

Fun fact:
Buzz is the only non-flat ride that all 6 castle parks have a version of.

Last edited:

Timothy_Q

The people who designed and approved a second Toy Story themed shooting ride were well aware, and proud, of that. It wasn't some accident, it was planned that way

The people who designed Toy Story Mania were told they had to shove more Toy Story into two failing parks as a bandaid (DCA and DHS)

Just like Nemo was shoved into the Living Seas, Tomorrowland Subs, TDS' StormRider, Animal Kingdom, DCA and Paris' Studio Park.

There's not much to be "proud" of, and very little planning in the grand scheme of things. Most of these additions don't fit their placement and only skewed the lands and parks further away from their themes.

HMF

It would be foolish to keep Buzz when you have a Toy Story Land. Then again it is foolish to have a Toy Story Land when you already have a broader Pixar Area to work with but that doesn't stop em.I would expect it's days are numbered. I just hope what replaces it actually fits Tomorrowland.

Omegadiz

The people who designed Toy Story Mania were told they had to shove more Toy Story into two failing parks as a bandaid (DCA and DHS)

Just like Nemo was shoved into the Living Seas, Tomorrowland Subs, TDS' StormRider, Animal Kingdom, DCA and Paris' Studio Park.

There's not much to be "proud" of, and very little planning in the grand scheme of things. Most of these additions don't fit their placement and only skewed the lands and parks further away from their themes.
To be fair, Toy Story Mania actually is pretty well in theme for DCA. Midway games at the boardwalk? Solid. DHS is a victim tho. Tokyo's version of TSMM is pretty well in theme too but Tokyo is never a fair comparison...searider...I got nothing.

It would be foolish to keep Buzz when you have a Toy Story Land. Then again it is foolish to have a Toy Story Land when you already have a broader Pixar Area to work with but that doesn't stop em.I would expect it's days are numbered. I just hope what replaces it actually fits Tomorrowland.
Honestly, and I know it's just me...I wish they did a Stitch version of Ride and Go seek where you find all of jumbas experiments. Kills all birds: Better ride, Stitch gets some justice, would need to be bigger than SRS so bye bye Monsters Inc in MK,they fully commit buzz to Toy Story land. I just wish

No Name

I gather you're not a fan... ;)

It would be foolish to keep Buzz when you have a Toy Story Land.

:banghead:

Last edited:

sunsetblvd26

What they don't fully understand is that the theme matters, not the IP. Both rides are distinctly different. If Toy Story didn't exist, the two rides would have no relation.
Then Buzz wouldn't exist. You have to remember, Buzz does not at all fit into Tomorrowland. The theme of the ride is that it is a Buzz Lightyear toy playset, not supposed to be an actual futuristic ride. There's nothing the people in charge "don't get" here if they decided to get rid of it; Buzz is not some perfectly fitting thematically ride.

MCast

@marni1971 - With TSL on the horizon and Midway already around, do you have any insight into the fate of Buzz in MK? I'm guessing its life will not extend "through infinity and beyond."

Princess Leia

https://touringplans.com/hollywood-studios/fastpass
I thought this was odd. Touring Plans already has Slinky Dog Dash listed in its Fast Pass list
upload_2017-6-15_9-52-26.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom