Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Rteetz

It was never supposed to open with the park. It was a one year-ish anniversary project (when the park was originally supposed to open Winter 2015) due to the HKDL exclusivity.
Ok but then why did they start building it, then stop, and are now starting again?

DDLand

I just read something... Never mind.

Well I would hope so the Shanghai one is the Paris version and parts of it are already built.
Are we sure about this?

Shanghai has been obsessed with exclusive lands and attractions. Same can be said of Hong Kong.

The press release even said "the new Toy Story Land, with unique attractions and experiences guests can only have at Shanghai Disneyland, is set to open in 2018." I wouldn't be shocked to see new things. I remember reading way back that there were concepts of a new version of the Junkyard only with Woody and Bullseye. They had said it was for our Toy Story Land (which is obviously isn't) but I wonder if something like that could end up in Shanghai.

It looks like it's possible:
image.png

image.jpeg

Last edited:

DinoInstitute

I just read something... Never mind.

Are we sure about this?

Shanghai has been obsessed with exclusive lands and attractions. Same can be said of Hong Kong.

The press release even said "the new Toy Story Land, with unique attractions and experiences guests can only have at Shanghai Disneyland, is set to open in 2018." I wouldn't be shocked to see new things. I remember reading way back that there were concepts of a new version of the Junkyard only with Woody and Bullseye. They had said it was for our Toy Story Land (which is obviously isn't) but I wonder if something like that could end up in Shanghai.

It looks like it's possible:
View attachment 174366
View attachment 174365
I believe a woodys roundup version of maters was once rumored, it could be that?

I personally would expect a mixture of DHS's and the other TSL's. Maybe aliens, parachute, and racer.

MagicHappens1971

I was coming on to to say that TSL broke ground at Shangai and that it will probably be open before DHS. But that's already been said, the one part im confused about is DPBs article states that "Toy Story Land will be an experience guests can only see in Mainland China". And above it states that it's the same version as DLP

DDLand

I was coming on to to say that TSL broke ground at Shangai and that it will probably be open before DHS. But that's already been said, the one part im confused about is DPBs article states that "Toy Story Land will be an experience guests can only see in Mainland China". And above it states that it's the same version as DLP
Expect it to be different from the Play Lands that have been built at Hong Kong and Paris. This will be something of a cross between what we're getting at DHS and those offerings. They should also be getting a Junkyard attraction of some type.

Update: By different I don't mean place making, but roster. The place making should be the same bleh place making already built at the existing Play Lands. I wasn't clear.

Also fun fact, supposing this land has the three rides at opening and my numbers are right, by 2018 there will be 20 Toy Story rides operating in ten of the twelve Disney Parks. There will be 4 lands based off Toy Story, and it will be featured in 6 Tomorrowlands (including Paris), Paradise Pier, and the New York Section of Disney Sea.

Variants of Space Ranger Spin have accomplished the rare feat of being at every Magic Kingdom. Classics like Small World, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and Big Thunder can't even claim that. The only other attractions that have are Dumbo, tea cups, the Carousel, and Space Mountain (if you're willing to stretch Tron to fit). Rocket Jets or its variants have been in every park, but that's going to change in a few short months. Sadly none of the Spacerangers represent the very best of Imagineering...

This doesn't even include the Hotels that bear extensive Toy Story theming. Oh and the parking lot. Never forget the parking lot. Hopefully that one gets replaced soon.

The only IP that matches or exceeds the amount of exposure at theme parks is Harry Potter. They have fewer attractions, but one Forbidden Journey is worth like ten RCs so it balances out.

Let's keep Animal Kingdom and Epcot safe from Toy Story!

Last edited:

Marc Davis Fan

That it really pales in comparison to something as simple as A Bug's Land (which is great for what it is) tells you pretty much everything.

That tells me a lot. I was in DCA on Monday, and specifically because of your comment here, I spent extra time walking around "a bug's land" and looking carefully at the theming. It really feels decorative rather than immersive, e.g., the you can tell that everything isn't real just by looking at it - the "pencils," the "clovers," the bugs themselves, etc.
I presume I'd agree with your judgment that this works better than TSL/TSPL, in which case my interest in TSL has just severely waned...

Last edited:

Siren

At this point, I feel like it is okay to remain positive about TSL because the concept art is somewhat conflicting.
2a7hqoj.jpg

This is the original concept art and there is no giant Buzz Lightyear.

2kiq2f.jpg

The concept art billboard in DHS shows a giant Buzz Lightyear.

2hwcu3m.jpg

Right next to it, this concept art has no Giant Buzz Lightyear.

So, right now I am just going to give Disney the benefit of the doubt. I can't wait for more details!

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-11_3-40-27.jpeg
    upload_2016-11-11_3-40-27.jpeg
    14.3 KB · Views: 53

yeti

That tells me a lot. I was in DCA on Monday, and specifically because of your comment here, I spent extra time walking around "a bug's land" and looking carefully at the theming. It really feels decorative rather than immersive, e.g., the you can tell that everything isn't real just by looking at it - the "pencils," the "clovers," the bugs themselves, etc.
I presume I'd agree with your judgment that this works better than TSL/TSPL, in which case my interest in TSL has just severely waned...

It looks a bit like plastic, which I kind of overlook given that it's pretty abundant in detail, charm, and the elements that make it work in miniaturized scale. TSL has none of that in its favour (basically no details; there's little novelty in the idea of "shrinking down to the size of a toy" as there is for bugs; scale gets ruined by the exposed mechanics of each ride, in which case ABL does a surprisingly good job of covering up). ABL you can tell is cheap if you look closely, in TSL it's your first assumption.

Siren

There should still be a Buzz statue / sign.

Still won't make up for a lacklustre land.
Marni, Toy Story Land is like a little bonus land that provides some cohesiveness to the space and something extra to enhance the TSM area. And, it also addresses the immediate need for more family friendly attractions.

The Giant Buzz is not present in either rendering of the concept art, so the probability that other components are missing too seems plausible to me. So like, you can smile for now, at least.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Marni, Toy Story Land is like a little bonus land that provides some cohesiveness to the space and something extra to enhance the TSM area. And, it also addresses the immediate need for more family friendly attractions..
No one is denying the need.

But for $200 million plus there should be more. And certainly not a "bonus" land.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom