Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Brian Swan

I just read something... Never mind.

Are we sure about this?

Shanghai has been obsessed with exclusive lands and attractions. Same can be said of Hong Kong.

The press release even said "the new Toy Story Land, with unique attractions and experiences guests can only have at Shanghai Disneyland, is set to open in 2018." I wouldn't be shocked to see new things. I remember reading way back that there were concepts of a new version of the Junkyard only with Woody and Bullseye. They had said it was for our Toy Story Land (which is obviously isn't) but I wonder if something like that could end up in Shanghai.

It looks like it's possible:
View attachment 174366
View attachment 174365
Well this is clearly a Mater/Saucers type layout...

mickhyperion

At this point, I feel like it is okay to remain positive about TSL because the concept art is somewhat conflicting.

This is the original concept art and there is no giant Buzz Lightyear.

The concept art billboard in DHS shows a giant Buzz Lightyear.

Right next to it, this concept art has no Giant Buzz Lightyear.

So, right now I am just going to give Disney the benefit of the doubt. I can't wait for more details!
Actually Buzz is in both versions of the concept art.
Toy-Story-Land_Full_25052-buzz.jpg

Toy-Story-Land_Full_25052-buzz crop.jpg

He has moved to the other side of the walkway and appears to be smaller in the latest artwork, though the scale of things in concept art can't always be trusted.
Toy-Story-Land_Full_27411-buzz.jpg

Toy-Story-Land_Full_27411-buzz crop.jpg

FerretAfros

But for $200 million plus there should be more. And certainly not a "bonus" land.
The conspiracy theorist in me can't help but wonder if the crazy budget relative to the end result is somehow related to the Toy Story Land that recently "broke ground" at Shanghai Disneyland. We already know that SDL has some, shall we say, questionable financial practices (what ever happened to that $800M for "capacity improvements"?), so this wouldn't exactly be out of character for them

Heck, having such a high budget as a result of "shared development expenses" (even though there is very little of substance in common between the 2 lands) would make more sense than Disney actually spending $200M on what's being built in WDW

lazyboy97o

The conspiracy theorist in me can't help but wonder if the crazy budget relative to the end result is somehow related to the Toy Story Land that recently "broke ground" at Shanghai Disneyland. We already know that SDL has some, shall we say, questionable financial practices (what ever happened to that $800M for "capacity improvements"?), so this wouldn't exactly be out of character for them

Heck, having such a high budget as a result of "shared development expenses" (even though there is very little of substance in common between the 2 lands) would make more sense than Disney actually spending $200M on what's being built in WDW
Or Disney's costs really are that out of control.

P_Radden

elchippo

I'm still disappointed that a large favorite part of my favorite park was bulldozed for this...that being said, I hope there is some sort of hidden HISTK easter egg in all the oversized stuff.

roj2323

Siren

No one is denying the need.

But for $200 million plus there should be more. And certainly not a "bonus" land.
OMG, Marni. I had no idea Disney allocated over $200 Million for just TSL. So far, you are the only one who dropped a figure for this land. I really appreciate you sharing this top secret info.

I think this is really great news, it means there is a lot of potential to add things. Disney kept adding more features and attractions to the New Fantasyland as time went along. So, it's not all hopeless.

Actually Buzz is in both versions of the concept art.
View attachment 174711
View attachment 174712
He has moved to the other side of the walkway and appears to be smaller in the latest artwork, though the scale of things in concept art can't always be trusted.
View attachment 174713
View attachment 174714
Hi @mickhyperion! Wow! Thank you for posting this concept art for me. I appreciate this so much! I have like 20/20 vision and have stared at that concept art forever and I could not pinpoint that Buzz Lightyear. LOL. And, I agree -- Buzz does appear to be smaller, but I'm glad he's there.

Anyway, I really hope Disney gives an update and/or behind the scenes info about TSL at D23 this weekend.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

OMG, Marni. I had no idea Disney allocated over $200 Million for just TSL. So far, you are the only one who dropped a figure for this land. I really appreciate you sharing this top secret info.

I think this is really great news, it means there is a lot of potential to add things. Disney kept adding more features and attractions to the New Fantasyland as time went along. So, it's not all hopeless.

Hi @mickhyperion! Wow! Thank you for posting this concept art for me. I appreciate this so much! I have like 20/20 vision and have stared at that concept art forever and I could not pinpoint that Buzz Lightyear. LOL. And, I agree -- Buzz does appear to be smaller, but I'm glad he's there.

Anyway, I really hope Disney gives an update and/or behind the scenes info about TSL at D23 this weekend.
$200m is after serious value engineering, too. I'm not sure how that kind of money doesn't allow for rockwork or the Woody's Round-Up area. In ten years, that kind of money has gone from paying for two Everests to a modest launched family coaster and a flat ride? Oh, how the greats have fallen.

Watch SWL cost $2bn in the end.........

Siren

$200m is after serious value engineering, too. I'm not sure how that kind of money doesn't allow for rockwork or the Woody's Round-Up area. In ten years, that kind of money has gone from paying for two Everests to a modest launched family coaster and a flat ride? Oh, how the greats have fallen.

Watch SWL cost $2bn in the end.........
Hi @MansionButler84! It's totally worth it, though.

Okay so like, where is the Toy Story Land update? I wish we would have gotten a opening date or something for this -- out of all of the lands, this is the one I want to know about the most.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom