Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

djkidkaz

I would imagine there is more in the works for Studios as we know a name change is also coming and I can't believe that they would add two lands and think that is enough to rebrand the park. I'm fully expecting some major changes around the park and at least one more new land to be added.

doctornick

Some insiders here have said that there are tentative Phase 3 and Phase 4 ideas (Blue Sky) but that nothing has been given the "go ahead" as yet. There hasn't even been much talk (other than rumors) about what Phase 3 and Phase 4 may even contain. I think someone said something about maybe Monsters Inc. as a rumor, but that may just be my imagination. For now I think that TDO is looking to get the current projects done and open to see that impact before they commit to more expansions.

I try to follow this stuff as closely as I can and this is my impression from reading the insiders here (and bits and pieces from elsewhere):

"Phase 3" is still funded, as part of the massive ~$2.8B allotted to DHS last summer. While there have been some budget cuts to TSL (perhaps to make up for overruns at Pandora in DAK), the funding for Phase 3 at least to some level is intact.

It's not certain what theme or what attractions would be built for Phase 3. It's not even decided whether it would be one new full land or just a series of attractions added here and there to other lands. @MansionButler84 mentioned this last month:

I hear we are still getting a third land.

Can't say any more.

That would suggest a new full land is on the table. In the past, it seemed either a land themed to Monstropolis or to The Incredibles were the front runners. They may still be. It's also been hinted that attractions themed to Indiana Jones (and perhaps a land of some sort?) is possible. There's obviously the strong rumors of Guardians of the Galaxy being brought to DHS (replacing either ToT or RNR) so that might be part of some larger development.

My guess -- I can't say I've seen anyone say anything one way or the other -- is that any construction on Phase 3 won't even begin until after TSL is opened. So, we are talking probably late 2017/sometime in 2018 for that. I imagine they will want the capacity from those rides up and running before they close anything. It is likely that Phase 3 would either go in the Echo Lake area (where the Indy Stunt show and Backlot Express is and extending into the parking lot) or Animation Courtyard (perhaps closing the old Animation building and tearing it down to access backstage land in that vicinity).

It's likely we won't have an official word until D23 in summer 2017. At this point, they may very well not make a final decision on any plans until close to then -- which means even the insiders won't have a clue, as it will still be in flux.

JohnWD

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I'm at DHS today and saw no signs of progress. :(

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Around muppets as in behind it? As in reaching star tours?

Very roughly this is where I believe the lands will be, TSL in red, SWL in blue. Muppets will still be in between SWL and Star Tours. Some people have speculated that SWL might go out beyond the current edge of the park, but I don't think it will.

upload_2016-6-8_14-48-25.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom