Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
We've been hearing about this 'makeover' since 2012?
Backlot tour closed in 2014
Toy story play land opens in 2018/19

There has to be more to it. I don't get it.

Here is what I think caused the delay - Purchase of Star Wars. A lot of plans for the park where put on delay when that happened.

gmajew

Fact here is no work can be completed with out a plan and a blueprint approved by government.

The permits filed right now are for ground prep can be very very vague as they are just getting the pad ready.

The next round of permits will be the ones that are the most interesting as it will or should be for actual construction not just pad work.

Pad work does not need a full set to work off of if they have the basis of where building are going etc for any underground work... but it appears to date this is just to get pad ready and then they will worry about underground with actually construction permit...

dstrawn9889

cant really start on a pad without weight loading, since they are gonna have to drive pilings or sink REALLY deep footings for any large load points... cant do that without the full blueprint package complete... they wont know where to sink the pylons without them(not to mention that they would have to dig up the whole damn foundation pad to do it later)

dstrawn9889

now lets be real here... they will not tear down what it there until it is time to build again. Why you may ask? the money reason is one, but not the largest. if they go all Disneyland SWL on the area now, without plans ready and materials on site, they will have to clean the canals and pay the EPA for open water contamination. IT RAINS IN FL. enough so that uncovered soil buggers off. then once all the fines are paid, they have to truck in more soil to replace what ran off. this is not your backyard, where things are contained and out of the Govts' purview...

lazyboy97o

Fact here is no work can be completed with out a plan and a blueprint approved by government.

The permits filed right now are for ground prep can be very very vague as they are just getting the pad ready.

The next round of permits will be the ones that are the most interesting as it will or should be for actual construction not just pad work.

Pad work does not need a full set to work off of if they have the basis of where building are going etc for any underground work... but it appears to date this is just to get pad ready and then they will worry about underground with actually construction permit...
And which government is it approving permits? Reedy Creek.

cant really start on a pad without weight loading, since they are gonna have to drive pilings or sink REALLY deep footings for any large load points... cant do that without the full blueprint package complete... they wont know where to sink the pylons without them(not to mention that they would have to dig up the whole damn foundation pad to do it later)
It's a know flat ride and a roller coaster. It's not difficult to know these requirements. Shops and restrooms are even more simple. Those loads can all be figured out without having all of the "blueprints" done.

dstrawn9889

And which government is it approving permits? Reedy Creek.

It's a know flat ride and a roller coaster. It's not difficult to know these requirements. Shops and restrooms are even more simple. Those loads can all be figured out without having all of the "blueprints" done.
remember, this is essentially a filled in swamp, not solid ground, they need to know the Exact static load so they can set a proper foundation

dstrawn9889

and they obvs had a full set of prints for the load bearing structures... and knew exactly where everything was going and what was likely to be in them... when you dont know exactly what is in a building, how can you say what size it will be... and if you cannot properly size the building, how can you place anything else around it?

dstrawn9889

surveys are done all the time in this unstable area of the country... that doesn't necessarily mean it is for new construction, they could be looking at elevations to make sure nothing is sinking from sinkholes or the land subsiding. Hell they could have had something ready to go, and scrapped it for something else (like that never happens is Disney)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
surveys are done all the time in this unstable area of the country... that doesn't necessarily mean it is for new construction, they could be looking at elevations to make sure nothing is sinking from sinkholes or the land subsiding. Hell they could have had something ready to go, and scrapped it for something else (like that never happens is Disney)
Or they could have left it to stagnate. Imagine that.

lazyboy97o

and they obvs had a full set of prints for the load bearing structures... and knew exactly where everything was going and what was likely to be in them... when you dont know exactly what is in a building, how can you say what size it will be... and if you cannot properly size the building, how can you place anything else around it?
Full calculations and structural drawings is not the same as a full set for the entire building. Loads are determined by occupancy and related formulas, not counting out individual items.

dstrawn9889

Full calculations and structural drawings is not the same as a full set for the entire building. Loads are determined by occupancy and related formulas, not counting out individual items.
well if they were home safes, or the location intends to sell fireworks, a bank, or just a Jacuzzi dealer... that is what i mean by knowing what i likely to be in there... you would need higher strength concrete, a thicker pad, more rebar....

lazyboy97o

well if they were home safes, or the location intends to sell fireworks, a bank, or just a Jacuzzi dealer... that is what i mean by knowing what i likely to be in there... you would need higher strength concrete, a thicker pad, more rebar....
Programming is one of the earliest tasks completed but just look at something like a mall where the tennants are not known and change. Or the situations where show buildings have been reused.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Programming is one of the earliest tasks completed but just look at something like a mall where the remnants are not known and change. Or the situations where show buildings have been reused.
Nice try, but, not a good example. Nothing like one. Malls are built as a supported open structure where wall and fronts can be established where ever they want them at any time. It's just a box with changeable walls. The developer my decide on petitions or store fronts if they have no tenant to put in there, but, other then that the actual dimensions of the building design are known, engineered and built to exact specification. The store sizes are secondary and not considered while the design is drawn up and built unless a committed tenant has a specific requirement and that would have to happen before plans are drawn up. The walls (petitions) of any retail establishment are not part of the support configuration and therefore can be anyplace within the confines of the mall.

clemmo

Anyone actually think this will be open by 2018? I mean it should be open by 2017 looking at the detail of the project, but I have no faith that this will be open by 2018 the way this company has moved. I mean it took 2 years for a frozen overlay to an existing attraction...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Nice try, but, not a good example. Nothing like one. Malls are built as a supported open structure where wall and fronts can be established where ever they want them at any time. It's just a box with changeable walls. The developer my decide on petitions or store fronts if they have no tenant to put in there, but, other then that the actual dimensions of the building design are known, engineered and built to exact specification. The store sizes are secondary and not considered while the design is drawn up and built unless a committed tenant has a specific requirement and that would have to happen before plans are drawn up. The walls (petitions) of any retail establishment are not part of the support configuration and therefore can be anyplace within the confines of the mall.

For someone who wants to come across as knowing a lot about this subject, I would think you would at least know the difference between a partition and petition. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom