Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

MagicHappens1971

Yes and Yes. The BLT closed in september of 2014. The decision to move forward on that should have resulted in immediate construction afterward. This land is literally one outdoor bare bones coaster and a spinner ride. Therefore yes it is a damn shame they decided to not move a spec of dirt and instead close the attraction simply to save a buck or two in the meantime while they are still twiddling their fingers.

Totally agree I went on the BLT on the last day it was open, I was quite confused on my several trips thereafter that the facade and (clearly) the interior of the attraction was still there.

Next Big Thing

Yes and Yes. The BLT closed in september of 2014. The decision to move forward on that should have resulted in immediate construction afterward. This land is literally one outdoor bare bones coaster and a spinner ride. Therefore yes it is a damn shame they decided to not move a spec of dirt and instead close the attraction simply to save a buck or two in the meantime while they are still twiddling their fingers. 2 Years is still being generous a land of this caliber imo shouldn't take that long. Demo should have been done things should have gone vertical at this stage. Yet look at where we are.
When they closed the BLT, I highly doubt they 100% knew what was replacing it at that time. @marni1971?

Sped2424

Totally agree I went on the BLT on the last day it was open, I was quite confused on my several trips thereafter that the facade and (clearly) the interior of the attraction was still there.
It's still there now lol And we know what's going in that area. How did nothing happen from august of D23 till now! It's this kind of pace that just blows my mind.

MagicHappens1971

I was also wondering, on a thematic note, they're going to have redo the whole side facing TSMM, as well as the facade for TSMM, as well as create a facade for the soundstage where the third track is. Is there any idea of whether or not the entrance itself will be moving? They might as well at this point lol

Sped2424

I was also wondering, on a thematic note, they're going to have redo the whole side facing TSMM, as well as the facade for TSMM, as well as create a facade for the soundstage where the third track is. Is there any idea of whether or not the entrance itself will be moving? They might as well at this point lol
The entrance of the ride is moving to the other side of the building where the rest of Toystory land is going. I am not sure but I think someone mentioned the current pixar place area is going to become backstage given that when fireworks occur that street is a fallout zone and closed off.

dstrawn9889

I think you're right on that accord, but they could've still cleared the space? They knew something was going there
the money to move/remove and demo comes from the approved replacement budget, otherwise it would have be P&R accounts clearing it... i dont know about you, but i would rather them spend maintenance money on keeping what is open, open.(this budget thing is also why River Country still stands, and why PI stayed the way it was when it closed...)

Goofyernmost

There is no reason TSL shouldn't have been opening this summer/fall.
Now there's a person with reasonable expectations.
the money to move/remove and demo comes from the approved replacement budget, otherwise it would have be P&R accounts clearing it... i dont know about you, but i would rather them spend maintenance money on keeping what is open, open.(this budget thing is also why River Country still stands, and why PI stayed the way it was when it closed...)
There are a lot of reasons for that and I'm sure we will never hear what they are, but, it amazes me how simple people think that creating lands and areas are. Until they finalize they don't know what might be re-imagined to fit in with new plans. They still had to formulate and detail the plans to present to the board for approval. They have to design in detail and order the parts and that cannot be done until after it is approved. It is a much more complicated process than any of us realize. Yes, I'm sure that they knew that they were going to change things. Good grief, the backlot tour was pathetic and needed to shut down. The only thing on it that was even slightly interesting was Catastrophe Canyon. And that was the first thing that disappeared. They just closed LMA a month or so ago, yet we make it sound like they have known for years now just exactly what they were going to do. That they ordered all the specialty parts way back then and have held them in storage all that time, just intentionally dragging there feet just to tick off the customer. It almost seems like people think they can just run down to Home Depot and get everything they need for a themed land.

As for River Country... they have no need to clean out that area and it will remain that way until they decide that there is something else that they can put there. I believe PI had other plans but they fell through just about the same time that the economy fell through. What they did eventually do is much more impressive then the original plans.

I was thinking today that from the time Walt announced the Florida Project until MK actually opened, which in case you hadn't noticed did not include EPCOT, was almost 6 years. Subtract one because Walt passed away and you're still at 5 years from announcement to open. Things of that complexity do not just appear out of nowhere overnight. Should they have started earlier, I guess it wouldn't have hurt, but, there would still be a lag time involved no matter what they did. There is only so much pixie dust can do.

doctornick

Yes and Yes. The BLT closed in september of 2014.

Yep, this. Even if they didn't have firm plans on what would be going into the footprint in Fall 2014, there was no reason not to level everything and have land prep for the inevitable expansion on the space that would be occurring in the upcoming years. Same goes with all the plans for construction staging areas outside the park (the conveyor belt and access roads for equipment) -- it could have all been done a while ago.

Sped2424

Now there's a person with reasonable expectations.

There are a lot of reasons for that and I'm sure we will never hear what they are, but, it amazes me how simple people think that creating lands and areas are. Until they finalize they don't know what might be re-imagined to fit in with new plans. They still had to formulate and detail the plans to present to the board for approval. They have to design in detail and order the parts and that cannot be done until after it is approved. It is a much more complicated process than any of us realize. Yes, I'm sure that they knew that they were going to change things. Good grief, the backlot tour was pathetic and needed to shut down. The only thing on it that was even slightly interesting was Catastrophe Canyon. And that was the first thing that disappeared. They just closed LMA a month or so ago, yet we make it sound like they have known for years now just exactly what they were going to do. That they ordered all the specialty parts way back then and have held them in storage all that time, just intentionally dragging there feet just to tick off the customer. It almost seems like people think they can just run down to Home Depot and get everything they need for a themed land.

As for River Country... they have no need to clean out that area and it will remain that way until they decide that there is something else that they can put there. I believe PI had other plans but they fell through just about the same time that the economy fell through. What they did eventually do is much more impressive then the original plans.

I was thinking today that from the time Walt announced the Florida Project until MK actually opened, which in case you hadn't noticed did not include EPCOT, was almost 6 years. Subtract one because Walt passed away and you're still at 5 years from announcement to open. Things of that complexity do not just appear out of nowhere overnight. Should they have started earlier, I guess it wouldn't have hurt, but, there would still be a lag time involved no matter what they did. There is only so much pixie dust can do.
It amazes me how continuously incorrect you seem to be on these boards time after time, but hey at least you're consistent with it.
A video has been posted on YouTube of the 3rd track for those who are interested of seeing a walk/ride through of it. Pretty cool!

RIP to all that potential space for something new and substantial

djkidkaz

The entrance of the ride is moving to the other side of the building where the rest of Toystory land is going. I am not sure but I think someone mentioned the current pixar place area is going to become backstage given that when fireworks occur that street is a fallout zone and closed off.

Fireworks shouldn't have mattered since they'll be launching from across world drive soon.

Goofyernmost

It amazes me how continuously incorrect you seem to be on these boards time after time, but hey at least you're consistent with it.
I don't really care what you think, but, if you do know how it works please enlighten us. Just saying I'm wrong, heck, you may be correct, does not in any way constitute a solid rebuttal. If you know the truth I'd love to hear it. You seem pretty sure of yourself, so reply with factual content instead of insults. I'm going to assume that you must be the speech writer for a certain Tangerine haired individual who shall be left unnamed.

lazyboy97o

Disney almost never has projects fully designed before construction starts.
I don't really care what you think, but, if you do know how it works please enlighten us. Just saying I'm wrong, heck, you may be correct, does not in any way constitute a solid rebuttal. If you know the truth I'd love to hear it. You seem pretty sure of yourself, so reply with factual content instead of insults. I'm going to assume that you must be the speech writer for a certain Tangerine haired individual who shall be left unnamed.
1. Disney uses integrated delivery and fast track, not design-bid. So there is NEVER any waiting for all design to be done.
2. Custom scenic elements are the last pieces installed during construction. Everything else is standard materials.
3. With Nassal, ThemeWorks and others within driving distance custom work might as well be as easy as going to Home Depot.
4. The flat ride has already been engineered to meet more rigorous seismic standards.
5. Even custom roller coasters use standardized components for the track. Vekoma and their competition can, without additional assistance such that Disney would provide, have a custom layout to open in two years.

Sped2424

Tangerine Haired what now? lol I am just saying your thesis there made 0 sense. The only reason nothing has happened has 0 to do with design and everything to do with wanting to save as much money as possible before they are inevitably forced to spend some.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom