Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Disneyhead'71

I actually wonder. how much money does Universal save by using Projector and screen technology than pure full physical screens?
Still, the Diagon Alley and Gringotts queue were fantastic and hella long.
there are 10 high tech AAs in Gringott's. More than 7DMT along with a 6 story facade, 2.5 full blown pre-show scenes and a 60 foot fire breathing dragon.

I don't really think they saved much money by building Gringott's.

KingOfEpicocity

there are 10 high tech AAs in Gringott's. More than 7DMT along with a 6 story facade, 2.5 full blown pre-show scenes and a 60 foot fire breathing dragon.

I don't really think they saved much money by building Gringott's.

The AAs in gringotts are comparable to chuckie cheese. Go take a look at little mermaid and story time with belle for me. Which all include fully built scenes.

Disneyhead'71

The AAs in gringotts are comparable to chuckie cheese. Go take a look at little mermaid and story time with belle for me. Which all include fully built scenes.
Then the AAs in American Adventure, Spaceship Earth, GMR ('cepting the witch), and HoP ('cepting Obama) are surely Showtime Pizza quality!

And the bazillion Disney Store quality mechanical figures in LM over shadow the spectacular Ursala AA. Oh and how I wish Universal would build an amazingly, spectacular, totally mind blowing AA like the Yeti!

Oh wait! D'oh!!!!

KingOfEpicocity

Then the AAs in American Adventure, Spaceship Earth, GMR ('cepting the witch), and HoP ('cepting Obama) are surely Showtime Pizza quality!

And the bazillion Disney Store quality mechanical figures in LM over shadow the spectacular Ursala AA. Oh and how I wish Universal would build an amazingly, spectacular, totally mind blowing AA like the Yeti!

Oh wait! D'oh!!!!

It's pointless to argue. You obviously don't know how humans move. Given the Gringotts AAs barely even move. Spaceship earth has some brilliant fast moving marvels, meanwhile the gringotts fakesterpeices sit and move their mouths up and down.

Surely One good animatronic in the whole park? Wow what an achievement. So glad it's open so we can see how good it is!!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It's pointless to argue. You obviously don't know how humans move. Given the Gringotts AAs barely even move. Spaceship earth has some brilliant fast moving marvels, meanwhile the gringotts fakesterpeices sit and move their mouths up and down.

Surely One good animatronic in the whole park? Wow what an achievement. So glad it's open so we can see how good it is!!
Don't. Just don't.

Slowjack

I actually wonder. how much money does Universal save by using Projector and screen technology than pure full physical screens?
Still, the Diagon Alley and Gringotts queue were fantastic and hella long.
I've wondered if part of the reason Universal has gravitated towards screens is that, unlike Disney, they don't have "the blessing of size." Neither Universal park is all that big, and with Skull Island, Universal is building on what looks like their last piece of expansion room within the current park areas. Screens allow rides that "feel" big without taking up huge amounts of real estate. Compare Transformers (which I didn't know was two stories when I rode it) to Dinosaur. The latter's show building covers much more real estate (I'd say three times as much), but has to cloak much of the ride in darkness to give the illusion of depth to scenes (the Indiana Jones ride solves the problem in a different way, by having a large central chamber that is visible from several locations). Transformers feels big, even though it isn't.

For myself, I definitely prefer sets over screens whenever possible, but I can understand Universal's thinking. What I'd love is to see more rides that use screen to extend the depth of foreground sets with AAs. That's what I'm hoping to see on Pandora's Magical Mystery Boat Ride. Fingers crossed.

lazyboy97o

I've wondered if part of the reason Universal has gravitated towards screens is that, unlike Disney, they don't have "the blessing of size." Neither Universal park is all that big, and with Skull Island, Universal is building on what looks like their last piece of expansion room within the current park areas. Screens allow rides that "feel" big without taking up huge amounts of real estate. Compare Transformers (which I didn't know was two stories when I rode it) to Dinosaur. The latter's show building covers much more real estate (I'd say three times as much), but has to cloak much of the ride in darkness to give the illusion of depth to scenes (the Indiana Jones ride solves the problem in a different way, by having a large central chamber that is visible from several locations). Transformers feels big, even though it isn't.

For myself, I definitely prefer sets over screens whenever possible, but I can understand Universal's thinking. What I'd love is to see more rides that use screen to extend the depth of foreground sets with AAs. That's what I'm hoping to see on Pandora's Magical Mystery Boat Ride. Fingers crossed.
Even Disney uses screens to create the illusion of size. It's about the intended experience. Disney's closest analogue to Transformers: The Ride - 3D is Ratatouille: L'Aventure Totalement Toquée de Rémy and it isn't filled with multistory tall figures.

Mike S

Maybe because they work in a bank and they're sitting at their desks working? Btw, the first time you see Ariel she's also just sitting and doing simple movements. Ursula is the only advanced AA in that ride.

Jones14

Maybe because they work in a bank and they're sitting at their desks working? Btw, the first time you see Ariel she's also just sitting and doing simple movements. Ursula is the only advanced AA in that ride.

I believe that King is referring to the level of compliance. While the goblins are very impressive, there's a level of herky-jerkiness that is still noticeable. Ariel slips into the uncanny valley, but the goblins still look like (very, very impressive) robots. Universal has caught up to Disney in many ways, but they're not quite there (yet) in terms of fluidity.

KingOfEpicocity

I believe that King is referring to the level of compliance. While the goblins are very impressive, there's a level of herky-jerkiness that is still noticeable. Ariel slips into the uncanny valley, but the goblins still look like (very, very impressive) robots. Universal has caught up to Disney in many ways, but they're not quite there (yet) in terms of fluidity.

They have nice skin I will agree, they look very realistic in terms of being wax figures, but I've seen more dynamic AAs at my local Scheels

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I wonder is Disney still holds a patent on compliance?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Compliance as an idea cannot be patented, just a specific means of achieving it. And I'd say Garner Holt Productions has the skills (but other clients may not have the funds.)

Could Disney possibly have a deal with them where they will not do figures with compliance for other customers?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Compliance as an idea cannot be patented, just a specific means of achieving it. And I'd say Garner Holt Productions has the skills (but other clients may not have the funds.)

I found this quote from @whylightbulb

Compliance is very much in the software and Disney has made it very difficult to duplicate legally. They are making a big mistake in my opinion by allowing Garner to fabricate the A100s. That is in the works now and once they teach Garner they will be giving up a huge advantage. Contractually Garner won't be able to build them for anyone else but Disney should know very well how those types of legal issues can be worked around.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom