Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

KingOfEpicocity

I found this quote from @whylightbulb

Compliance is very much in the software and Disney has made it very difficult to duplicate legally. They are making a big mistake in my opinion by allowing Garner to fabricate the A100s. That is in the works now and once they teach Garner they will be giving up a huge advantage. Contractually Garner won't be able to build them for anyone else but Disney should know very well how those types of legal issues can be worked around.

Even if Garner builds their own A100s. A. Nobody would be able to afford it. And B. Disney would already innovate more. Just look at avatar.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Then why hasn't universal shown us any fully dynamic AAs? If I'm not mistaken, isn't Holt NOT doing the Kong Puppe- I mean AA?

I don't know the answer to that, but Comcast has significant financial resources if they wanted to use them. Per the quote I posted about, Garner may not be allowed to provide some of the Disney technologies to other companies.

We don't know anything about Kong at this point other then it will be an AA.

KingOfEpicocity

I don't know the answer to that, but Comcast has significant financial resources if they wanted to use them. Per the quote I posted about, Garner may not be allowed to provide some of the Disney technologies to other companies.

We don't know anything about Kong at this point other then it will be an AA.

Now I will agree. If i know Disney, I'm sure they have that sealed up. As for Kong, The last large scale AA they've made is the magical floating jello tounge Dino in Jurassic park. If I had any confidence they could make a good AA I would say it will be! And trust me, I want it to be.

lazyboy97o

Could Disney possibly have a deal with them where they will not do figures with compliance for other customers?
I found this quote from @whylightbulb

Compliance is very much in the software and Disney has made it very difficult to duplicate legally. They are making a big mistake in my opinion by allowing Garner to fabricate the A100s. That is in the works now and once they teach Garner they will be giving up a huge advantage. Contractually Garner won't be able to build them for anyone else but Disney should know very well how those types of legal issues can be worked around.
Patents would definitely be the big legal protection. It's just that patents protect a specific process and not a general idea. Develop and patent a bunch of means to doing something and you will better protect the idea. What @whylightbulb is/was worried about is that once you teach someone else a protected process they then can easily figure out ways around what is protected. There are a bunch of examples of this happening with ride systems. Arrow Development contracted out their European manufacturing to Vekoma and then Vekoma knew how to make roller coasters. Giovanola did manufacturing for Bolliger & Mabillard and then built a couple coasters with nearly identical track. Dynamic Attractions built the Soarin' ride vehicles and now offers their own flying theater. Oceaneering fixed the Amazing Adventure of Spider-Man ride vehicles and now sells the Evolution ride vehicles.

Last edited:

Mike S

Then why hasn't universal shown us any fully dynamic AAs? If I'm not mistaken, isn't Holt NOT doing the Kong Puppe- I mean AA?
Kong was built by the same people behind these, Creature Technology Company.

Please, find a way to say they're crap and nowhere close to Disney. I dare you.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm glad imagineers don't think like they have a budget

but without practical.. you can sit here spec'ing how you'll fly to the center of the universe to see our massive black hole.. and never get past your mom's car in the driveway.

Imagination must be combined with engineering - hence their name in the first place. If we just let them dream without any practical.. nothing would get done. Dream big.. then work hard to make it happen.

I think we are seeing the old 'cut the BOM' game going on. The designers always aim bigger than they even think they need... knowing they'll get knocked down.. so instead of aiming for 100% and getting cut to 75%.. you aim at 150%.. give them a 1/3 cut.. and end up at your intended 100%.

KingOfEpicocity

but without practical.. you can sit here spec'ing how you'll fly to the center of the universe to see our massive black hole.. and never get past your mom's car in the driveway.

Imagination must be combined with engineering - hence their name in the first place. If we just let them dream without any practical.. nothing would get done. Dream big.. then work hard to make it happen.

I think we are seeing the old 'cut the BOM' game going on. The designers always aim bigger than they even think they need... knowing they'll get knocked down.. so instead of aiming for 100% and getting cut to 75%.. you aim at 150%.. give them a 1/3 cut.. and end up at your intended 100%.

Still better than having a closed mind

flynnibus

Premium Member
Ricky-Gervais-Hysterical-Laughter.gif

LOL You sure don't write like one. Every time I read one of your posts it is as if I can almost hear the tween girl mouthing along to what she is typing, the smell of bubble gum in the air, and see unicorn and rainbow stickers covering a notebook that is filled with "I ♥ Justin Beiber 4-ever!" on every page. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
give it a rest already. just use the tools or have some self control

flynnibus

Premium Member
I've wondered if part of the reason Universal has gravitated towards screens is that, unlike Disney, they don't have "the blessing of size." Neither Universal park is all that big, and with Skull Island, Universal is building on what looks like their last piece of expansion room within the current park areas. Screens allow rides that "feel" big without taking up huge amounts of real estate. Compare Transformers (which I didn't know was two stories when I rode it) to Dinosaur. The latter's show building covers much more real estate (I'd say three times as much), but has to cloak much of the ride in darkness to give the illusion of depth to scenes (the Indiana Jones ride solves the problem in a different way, by having a large central chamber that is visible from several locations). Transformers feels big, even though it isn't.

For myself, I definitely prefer sets over screens whenever possible, but I can understand Universal's thinking. What I'd love is to see more rides that use screen to extend the depth of foreground sets with AAs. That's what I'm hoping to see on Pandora's Magical Mystery Boat Ride. Fingers crossed.

alot of it has to do with the IP/Content too... you just can't have that high intensity/pace with AA figures still. Imagine if Harry Potter was done like Peter Pan instead of the high intensity flying they chose..

flynnibus

Premium Member
Maybe because they work in a bank and they're sitting at their desks working? Btw, the first time you see Ariel she's also just sitting and doing simple movements. Ursula is the only advanced AA in that ride.

No, you have the bird.. which is very small and has lots of functions. You have advanced hair ariel too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom