Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Cesar R M

I see we have many threads on this forum that have been disrupted by a poster, only to make that poster the topic of conversation.....

So is anything new with this project? Toy Story Land, I mean.
nope, the person in question seems to repeat the same pattern everywhere.
The annoyance is.. some other members have the NEED to summon her...
Thus ruining yet another thread.

Cesar R M

it smacks of bullying and that should be something that we all try to not associate ourselves with.
IT goes both ways when the comments in question are designed to inflame, annoy and are by the book trolling.
Not need to pull that silly "bullying" excuse when you're doing it on purpose to attract such type of comments.
Its clear baiting.

For what it's costing and the time taken it should have its pathways paved with gold.
They can always pave the way using the distilled tears of fans who got their souls destroyed by the silly plans to convert TOT to GOTG.

Cesar R M

NFL was more like 400.

Diagon was circa 250, Transformers just over 80. I don't have a budget for Springfield.
I actually wonder. how much money does Universal save by using Projector and screen technology than pure full physical screens?
Still, the Diagon Alley and Gringotts queue were fantastic and hella long.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I actually wonder. how much money does Universal save by using Projector and screen technology than pure full physical screens?
Still, the Diagon Alley and Gringotts queue were fantastic and hella long.
You mean physical sets?

There's not a lot in it. Take Transformers. The CGI has to be modelled. Then rendered at 4K. Then each pair of not inexpensive projectors has to be installed. Then there's the cooling systems. Then alignment. Then the not inexpensive screens.

For Potter you've got the cast, the shoot equipment, the crew, the perfectly aligned chroma sets. And then the projection systems as above.

Then you've the physical sets all around the screens and Inbetween the show scenes.

I'm all for physical sets. But also for other methods of media when what's being presented could not realistically be reproduced physically.

Cesar R M

You mean physical sets?

There's not a lot in it. Take Transformers. The CGI has to be modelled. Then rendered at 4K. Then each pair of not inexpensive projectors has to be installed. Then there's the cooling systems. Then alignment. Then the not inexpensive screens.

For Potter you've got the cast, the shoot equipment, the crew, the perfectly aligned chroma sets. And then the projection systems as above.

Then you've the physical sets all around the screens and Inbetween the show scenes.

I'm all for physical sets. But also for other methods of media when what's being presented could not realistically be reproduced physically.
yes physical sets, sorry typo.

KingOfEpicocity

You mean physical sets?

I bet you it would be cheaper pay someone to animate Optimus prime than build a full sized AA. CG costs money, but not as much as it would cost to make it all

PorterRedkey

An A-100 costs about a million and a half. A scene full of them would cost a fortune. Just one, or some compliant limbs, not so much.

Have you heard anything about the price of the new Avatar AAs? If they really have 64-axis of motion for the face/head alone, I would think they would be quite a bit more expensive than the A-100s.

lazyboy97o

It seems clear that the aesthetic success of TSL will depend largely on whether or not it is truly immersive, i.e., everything is actually made to look as though it's made of toys.

We've been discussing the coaster a fair amount in this regard, e.g., whether the supports will clearly be themed as pieces of the coaster play set, or whether guests will simply see them unthemed coaster supports. It could be done well, and I have hope.

But what about the saucer attraction? What are we riding in that's going to persuasively come across as toys or toy pieces in Andy's backyard? And why would the green aliens from Pizza Planet be in Andy's backyard? And why on earth would the claw be in Andy's backyard?
A toy roller coaster would still look like a roller coaster. The experience will still be one of riding a roller coaster.

I bet you it would be cheaper pay someone to animate Optimus prime than build a full sized AA. CG costs money, but not as much as it would cost to make it all
Industrial Light and Magic is not some two bit effects house.

Goofyernmost

IT goes both ways when the comments in question are designed to inflame, annoy and are by the book trolling.
Not need to pull that silly "bullying" excuse when you're doing it on purpose to attract such type of comments.
Its clear baiting.
Then don't take the bait and then complain because the hook got caught in your lip. The fastest way to put out a flame is to deprive it of oxygen. Ignore it and it will go away. Show a reaction and it's here to stay.

Disneyhead'71

It's too late for that.

The cost overruns of Shanghai seem to be the main reason. They cut the non-essential stuff from Toy Story Land. Theming's non-essential, right?

Only one problem. Al's Toy Barn is human scale. The rest of the land is toy scale. If Disney wanted to make the Al's Toy Barn to scale they'd need a red light on it.

Nice sarcasm.

You know Hoover Dam well that we're not making it about ourselves when we criticize your posts. Many people have observed your behavior and described it as trolling. I wouldn't go that far.

I agree with you there. TSL is definitely going to be "cute," but not in the way that you're expecting. Budget cuts have taken much of the theming and charm out of the land.

I'm fully aware I'm part of the "them" you speak of. I don't really ignore anybody because it's much more fun to look at different opinions or even troll posts than universal agreement.

Agree. So about that Toy Story Land?
If you look at the old concept art, you'll see that the Al's Toy Barn depicted was the toy playset version. There is a giant "plastic" handle on top.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom