Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Goofyernmost

The piece de resistance: '67 Tomorrowland.
TLPC01.jpg
Just as a needless comment on that picture. Those people-mover cars are pretty much exactly the same design as the ones that were at Expo 67 in Montreal. Man they went a lot of places all over the fair grounds and even right through the United States Pavilion. It was very popular and always had a long line. I don't remember now if they stopped at the stations or had revolving sidewalks, but, I probably spent more time on those then any other thing at the fair. Must have been a forecast of the future for me. I love the WDW People-mover and I didn't even get a jolt of memory about Expo until I saw that picture.

Cesar R M

I agree in concept, but in practice I'm like - good, a place I never will need to go and helps suck people in (even if it's to standing in line for these cycle rides).

That said - I think it's absolutely ridiculous that Toy Story is getting more attention. If they needed to do Pixar, fine - but there are so many other Pixar films and Toy Story is already well represented at the parks.
Yeeah, makes me scratchmy head..
Instead of trying to make a real pixar land.. they just throw Toy Story again.

I mean, theres more than just Toy Story and Nemo!

Wheres wall e? they even had the darn animatronic that moved around like Push!
Wheres the incredibles? they are just being tossed into a silly "dance party" at tomorrowland...
Its strange that only the first pixar movies got attractions(Nemo, Bugs life, toy story) .. now theres barely any new ones other than m&G or toy story stuff.

Mike S

Yeeah, makes me scratchmy head..
Instead of trying to make a real pixar land.. they just throw Toy Story again.

I mean, theres more than just Toy Story and Nemo!

Wheres wall e? they even had the darn animatronic that moved around like Push!
Wheres the incredibles? they are just being tossed into a silly "dance party" at tomorrowland...
Its strange that only the first pixar movies got attractions(Nemo, Bugs life, toy story) .. now theres barely any new ones other than m&G or toy story stuff.
Don't forget Monsters Inc. and Cars. After that, pretty much nothing except M&G's and Ratatouille in France.

jrogue

Is it weird that the thing I'm most excited for in this land is the string light decoration? I wonder are those lights just going to be replicas and not actual lights, or will that be the lighting for the area?

hpyhnt 1000

Disney is missing an opportunity to showcase a vast amount of characters with a Pixar Land. Just using Toy Story makes you say, "That's been done before". UP, The Incredibles and so on would make it unique from other parks.

Yes, yes they are. Even if TSL ended up being exactly like the original concept art, it would still be a lazy addition that lacked creativity.

That fact the budget and quality have now been (apparently) slashed is just salt in the wound.

Phicinfan

Yes, yes they are. Even if TSL ended up being exactly like the original concept art, it would still be a lazy addition that lacked creativity.

That fact the budget and quality have now been (apparently) slashed is just salt in the wound.
I think we need to stop looking at this in a box, and look at the big picture...

Before the Shanghai budget issues, and also maybe the overuns on Avatar, this was to be a 3-4 phase expansion, and I believe it was reported by @marni1971 or others that other Pixar titles were involved. Yes, this particular expansion is limited in IP scope, but if plans were to expand in Phase 3 with Incridibles or Monsters Inc or some such, it explains the narrow focus. Even if Phase 3 and or 4 are now off the table, there is no way the budget would allow any other Pixar additions now to TSL.

Not saying this is good, just seeing what i think happened. I am hoping even if phase 3 just becomes ride additions...we may get the Monster's door coaster, or some Incredibles ride as part of those limited additions

Brian Swan

but Monsters Inc also didnt get a ride :(
Neither Up!
Brave at least got a nice M&G and a very detailed float in FOF
Monsters Inc. DOES have a ride in DCA. They gutted everything but the ride system form the truly terrible Superstar Limo and created what is probably the most enjoyable dark ride (other than Roger Rabbit) in DLR. Sure I'd love to see something brand new, but if budget is really the issue, a clone of this relatively low-tech ride would certainly fill a hole in the DHS landscape.

Mike S

Monsters Inc. DOES have a ride in DCA. They gutted everything but the ride system form the truly terrible Superstar Limo and created what is probably the most enjoyable dark ride (other than Roger Rabbit) in DLR. Sure I'd love to see something brand new, but if budget is really the issue, a clone of this relatively low-tech ride would certainly fill a hole in the DHS landscape.
Actually some of the AA's in Monsters Inc. were reskinned from Superstar Limo, mostly the CDA agents. Was that in one of your videos @marni1971 or am I confusing you for someone else?

Goofyernmost

tokyo doesnt count :p
Neither does Anaheim if you live on the East Coast or Europe. I understand that "some" people do travel to California, but, percentage wise it's not very many. Good attractions need to be everywhere, not confined to one park. No one has yet given me a good reason why that would be a problem. Maybe there isn't one. :)

Mike S

Neither does Anaheim if you live on the East Coast or Europe. I understand that "some" people do travel to California, but, percentage wise it's not very many. Good attractions need to be everywhere, not confined to one park. No one has yet given me a good reason why that would be a problem. Maybe there isn't one. :)
Well if there isn't an appropriate area for a great ride in another park that's a good reason not to bring it over. One good example being Kilimanjaro Safari. Where the heck would you put it in any park outside of Animal Kingdom?

Cesar R M

gutted and redone counts as "building attraction" ?

doctornick

Yes. When we were riding it last month in DCA, I remember thinking that DHS could really use a ride or two like that just to round out the park's offerings. If they are spending hundreds of millions of dollars reinventing the park, they should be able to allot a small amount of that budget (and land) to build some simple all ages dark rides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom