Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
Even just having piles of stuff is not inherently good design. The far bigger issue is the baseless, unrealistic collective fantasy that was created.
Sounds like you just want another debate. Did I say piles of stuff? They had a better design in the original art. That simple

Kman101

My disappointment, I won't call it negativity as there is still hope, stems from a combination of seemingly changed artwork (Disney's conceptual art doesn't change without reason) and the time it's taken for us to see any progress in clearing out backstage so they can build. I can't help but feel that had they wanted to wow and amaze verses giving us lip service and pulling this together at the last moment, that whole process would have gone much faster.

Yep. We should have seen ground cleared long ago when the Backlot tour closed. Even if it sat for just a few months, but we're in 2016 and while yes walls are up and things have finally come down, they should have long been started on this. We should have been preparing for Toy Story Land next year (heck this year, but then we should have had the Monsters Coaster up and going by 2013), IMHO, and Star Wars in 2018. Not 2018 for Toy Story Land and 2019 for Star Wars Land. It's because they want to stagger their big construction projections (because they can). It shouldn't matter that Pandora is slated for 2017 or that Disney Springs is slated for this year.

Both new lands are going into areas where they should have been able to start immediately.

G00fyDad

I'll admit that I haven't read this entire thread. It just seemed (to me) that this was all stemming from that cartoon concept video. If you or other insiders have confirmed that the land is getting budget slashes then I missed it and I will be just as equally upset over it as others appear to be. I was really hoping this land would be something to amaze people.

G00fyDad

LOL. I love when people start harping on it being "negativity".

I'm not a negative person in the slightest. Last I checked we were allowed to say what we feel. You don't have to like it but constantly being called out as "negative" (and vice versa with the "pixie duster" mantra) gets old. When I can't contribute to a thread I don't post. So to just come on here and say "the negativity is old" isn't contributing to this thread. JMO. It's your opinion, of course and we're all entitled to it. (not trying to be a jerk GoofyDad and you weren't probably directing anything towards me but ...)

Anyway .... yes, it is based on concept art. I'm not basing anything off of that Slinky dog video. Was that even a new video or was it the same one they showed 9 months ago? (I'm off to re-watch them because I was really sick this week so I might have not paid as close attention).

I have every right to be disappointed. I was looking forward to an expanded Toy Story Land that had a Woody's area. I was really looking on the bright side with this land as much as I could. I'm sure I'll be just fine walking around it when it opens but it's just a bummer we always lose out.

Did I tell you to not be disappointed? No. Go ahead and be disappointed. ;). I am still holding out that it is a concept video/art that is constantly changing or simply not giving a "complete" picture of exactly what is going in every single spot.

lazyboy97o

I'll admit that I haven't read this entire thread. It just seemed (to me) that this was all stemming from that cartoon concept video. If you or other insiders have confirmed that the land is getting budget slashes then I missed it and I will be just as equally upset over it as others appear to be. I was really hoping this land would be something to amaze people.
A concept video would my just be random stuff pulled out of nowhere. It has a design basis.

G00fyDad

A concept video would my just be random stuff pulled out of nowhere. It has a design basis.

I understand, but a concept video/art is going to change. It is also not going to be 100% accurate of the final result. It is more of a "could be" thing. The art that showed walkways UNDER the SlinkyDog coaster always bothered me because (I may be wrong here) I didn't think the insurance company Disney uses would allow that to happen. There have been several artistic representations of this land so far. I am just not sure why everyone is so upset that their idea of what this land should be is not happening. It may be a sucky land, or it could be amazing. From what I can tell people just seem to be making assumptions based on concept art and calling that gospel.

lazyboy97o

I understand, but a concept video/art is going to change. It is also not going to be 100% accurate of the final result. It is more of a "could be" thing. The art that showed walkways UNDER the SlinkyDog coaster always bothered me because (I may be wrong here) I didn't think the insurance company Disney uses would allow that to happen. There have been several artistic representations of this land so far. I am just not sure why everyone is so upset that their idea of what this land should be is not happening. It may be a sucky land, or it could be amazing. From what I can tell people just seem to be making assumptions based on concept art and calling that gospel.
The "could be" aspect of concept design is highly over stated and a land that should have construction starting soon should be past that stage of design.

lazyboy97o

I get it. I agree. Our family is still scratching its collective head over why they haven't started construction before now and turned it up to 11.
I'm not really questioning the start of construction. If anything it could be a signal that Disney will not be fast tracking this project (essentially starting construction before design is complete). That is not necessarily a bad change as it is a contributing factor in Disney's high costs.

Kman101

Did I tell you to not be disappointed? No. Go ahead and be disappointed. ;). I am still holding out that it is a concept video/art that is constantly changing or simply not giving a "complete" picture of exactly what is going in every single spot.

LOL, no and I'm sorry if I was aggressive in anyway, I just get fired up over the few who constantly throw out that negativity line.

We're just debating what they give us, and it is a discussion board, so it seems like people are surprised it's being discussed. I agree it's not always a complete picture and many of us jump to unnecessary conclusions and it gets frustrating to read that, I get that, but it's not always as simple as "being negative".

But a part of that land was clearly cut, as of right now, and of course that's going to not be liked. Why should it be? Anywho ... lol

Mike S

I'm surprised they didn't add more family friendly rides like a carousel and spinner rides based on the TS characters.
I would've loved something based on the Battlesaurs. I get this was supposed to be a family area but even with that it falls short. This easily could've been DHS' Fantasyland (or Pixar Place!!!!). Now it's just StoryBook Circus with even more barebones theming.
Another mistake.

I remember when rumors first started, back in the day, we heard about a toy carousel and a Bullseye/Woody ride based on Mater's and the "Buzz ride" (probably The Claw) would have been like the new Luigi's ride. I wish we'd gotten all of that instead of a dueling Alien Swirling Saucers (the name's growing on me as is Slinky Dog Dash but I don't think they're the most impressive of names). They clearly combined the idea of the two into the dueling Mater's clone.
Luigi's actually looks pretty boring. Without the elaborate dark ride surrounding it trackless tech doesn't garner much excitement.

Last edited:

Kman101

I agree about the walkway. Concept art. I don't think a lot of that design would have worked in Orlando. It's why we can't have elevated walkways, etc. LOL

I would've loved something based on the Battlesaurs. I get this was supposed to be a family area but even with that it falls short. This easily could've been DHS's Fantasyland (or Pixar Place!!!!). Now it's just StoryBook Circus with even more barebones theming.

Luigi's actually looks pretty boring. Without the elaborate dark ride surrounding it trackless tech doesn't garner much excitement.

It does look a bit boring, but Luigi was probably one of my favorite parts about CARS (which I rewatched recently) so I think I'll enjoy it enough, but I was just more or less expressing a want for different types of rides and a variety of them. It could have worked better for the Alien Swirling Saucers or as a Bullseye/Woody ride.

MonkeyHead

People always trot this whole "concept art is never accurate" thing about in regards to Disney constantly... Funny how nearly every Universal final product looks nearly identical to its released concept art.

Go back and look. It's true. But the moment things start changing and getting downgraded in art at Disney we hear "it's not supposed to be accurate."

G00fyDad

People always trot this whole "concept art is never accurate" thing about in regards to Disney constantly... Funny how nearly every Universal final product looks nearly identical to its released concept art.

Go back and look. It's true. But the moment things start changing and getting downgraded in art at Disney we hear "it's not supposed to be accurate."

Speak for yourself thank you. I have said from the beginning that the concept art was not a true representation of what was to come. However, I was told earlier that in this case it may be and that there really were budget cuts. Please do not put words in my mouth or make assumptions about me based on one post. I am not a child who makes irrational justifications for my actions. ;)

Cesar R M

LOL. I love when people start harping on it being "negativity".

I'm not a negative person in the slightest. Last I checked we were allowed to say what we feel. You don't have to like it but constantly being called out as "negative" (and vice versa with the "pixie duster" mantra) gets old. When I can't contribute to a thread I don't post. So to just come on here and say "the negativity is old" isn't contributing to this thread. JMO. It's your opinion, of course and we're all entitled to it. (not trying to be a jerk GoofyDad and you weren't probably directing anything towards me but ...)

Anyway .... yes, it is based on concept art. I'm not basing anything off of that Slinky dog video. Was that even a new video or was it the same one they showed 9 months ago? (I'm off to re-watch them because I was really sick this week so I might have not paid as close attention).

I have every right to be disappointed. I was looking forward to an expanded Toy Story Land that had a Woody's area. I was really looking on the bright side with this land as much as I could. I'm sure I'll be just fine walking around it when it opens but it's just a bummer we always lose out.
Dont you sometimes wish Billy Mays was the head of WDI and Disney Parks and Resorts?
So he can shout .. BUT WAIT.. THERES MORE!!! and impressing us like the old Disney (or like some of the recent things before they got slashed)?
Now we always get someone saying BUT WAIT.. THERES A TON OF THINGS CUT AND DUMBED DOWN!!!

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Yep. We should have seen ground cleared long ago when the Backlot tour closed. Even if it sat for just a few months, but we're in 2016 and while yes walls are up and things have finally come down, they should have long been started on this. We should have been preparing for Toy Story Land next year (heck this year, but then we should have had the Monsters Coaster up and going by 2013), IMHO, and Star Wars in 2018. Not 2018 for Toy Story Land and 2019 for Star Wars Land. It's because they want to stagger their big construction projections (because they can). It shouldn't matter that Pandora is slated for 2017 or that Disney Springs is slated for this year.

Both new lands are going into areas where they should have been able to start immediately.
It would be hilarious to find that they took so long.. because management had stored the original blueprints of the park somewhere they couldnt find at first.
Thus they had no idea where they could cut, break, open without affecting the services.
I mean, they took like AGES to start de assembling Catastrophe Canyon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom