Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Kate F

Does anyone else think that this land should have more than just three rides? I wouldn't be so concerned about the quality of the rides we're getting if we were getting more of them. If they added a few simple kiddie rides alongside the main attractions of the land, I think that would make the land more worth the wait. They just seem to be doing the bare minimum with this one.

Yes, both of those would be good additions. If they don't want to give us a new E-ticket with this land at all, they might as well fill up the land with more C and D tickets like these. I'm sure they have enough room for them.

I'm just disappointed that Disney expects us to wait so long for a couple of nice, but not amazing, family attractions. I know that they expect SWL to be the one that amazes, but they should be putting just as much effort into this one, even if the actual rides aren't as thrilling or spectacular.

I don't usually believe that quantity makes up for lack of quality. I don't like the idea of more Toy Story attractions either, but since the theming is pretty much set in stone at this point, and the land is focused around kid rides, I don't think it would hurt them too much to add a few more smaller rides (or wishfully bigger ones) along with the ones they have already announced.

I would love for them to add another E-ticket attraction and want the rides to be as top-notch as possible. But because most of us believe that this is not going to be Disney's best work, I think they should at least try to make the most out of the land and have more than just two new OK attractions to offer us, especially considering how long it is probably going to take them.

I have to say, I think it would be pretty depressing if they were unable to get the land open by 2018.

I've tried so hard to be positive about TSL, but I just can't find anything to be excited about, and I am always a bit baffled every time I see someone say not to judge it until it's completely built. I understand where they are coming from, we can't actually make a full judgment until we see it all firsthand, but the concept alone leaves much to be desired. I admit, I'm pretty worn out on Toy Story as a whole at this point, so I may be a bit biased when it comes to the choice of theme, but I just don't think the IP lends itself to an elaborately themed land. I'm sure it will be better than Toy Story Playland, but I still don't know how anyone can expect anything amazing.

Yes, the park desperately needs family rides and this land will provide that, but it seems like pretty much everyone knows that the theming isn't going to be anywhere as impressive as SWL or Avatar, and they are okay with that just because it's a family land. I think they are just viewing the land as a necessary filler.

I also expect that it will be fun for the whole family. I wish we were getting more rides and I would prefer a different theme, but overall, it seems like it will be a nice and needed addition to the park. I just hope they don't cheap out on it.

When I say that I hope they don't cheap out, I'm referring to the way the land will look and the budget cuts that might occur, given Disney's recent track record.

With bigger, complex projects like Avatar and SWL, I can understand Disney taking their time with them. A moderately themed family land with two relatively simple new attractions and a couple of meet-n-greets? Ehh...I really don't know how anyone can defend their slow pace on this one.

Also, I hate when people make the excuse that Universal needs to work fast, and that because WDW is the most visited resort in the world, they get to take their sweet time with everything. Being at the top shouldn't mean they are allowed to just stop trying.

Heres why I am upset that they haven't started working on this land yet (and I may be going on a bit of a tangent):

My first trip to WDW was in 2005, and we saw Everest being built as well as several commercials for the ride. Everyone in my family was excited and we were all in agreement that it was something we definitely needed to return for. After Everest, there hasn't been anything that we felt we just had to go back for, despite taking multiple trips over the years. The past few years, the main reason we've been coming back is because of the constant stream of new exciting additions at Universal. We've been much more impressed by them as of late and we don't currently have any plans to go back to Disney for a while. To be fair though, we are fans of thrills and I understand Disney isn't focused on adding many of those at the moment, but our main problem is that the parks are kind of stale now, which I know they are trying to fix.

Anyway, I'm not really excited about TSL at all, the coaster might be fun but that's all I got at the moment. The theme, the low quantity of rides and the lack of any new E-tickets (not all E-tickets need to be thrilling) really doesn't give me anything to be excited about to begin with, but the fact that they haven't even started with this pretty simple project kind of infuriates me. I get that the land is supposed to be for families, and I'm sure kids will love it, which is great, but it's just kind of depressing to see that it takes Disney so much time and so much money to build such simple things nowadays. I honestly wish they would just get it done and over with so they can focus on the more ambitious projects.
Don't have much to add regarding the new concept art, other than I am incredibly disappointed, but I still hold true to all of this.

wdwgreek

Incredibly disappointed, I can handle exposed Pylons, but the new concept art makes this look like a generic unthemed and short roller coaster. Barnstormer 2.0. wait in line for an hour for a minute and a half long generic experience? Why does Disney not learn that going for the cheap does not make a good attraction? ( I put my bet on the fact that they know no matter how cheap we will still pay) The alien ride looks promising enough.

full

What if Toy Story Land has been moved to the former SOA and LMA area? I have flipped the concept art image upside down and placed it in that area.

You could enter the land by walking down the already existing Pixar Place alley, it would keep Muppets intact, and be more closely connected to the projected space for Star Wars. The walkway on the far left could then go into Phase 3 which was backstage and the originally speculated space for TSL. Just a thought.

wdizneew

The only reason I'm not too terribly upset about the changes is because we're not getting another Toy Story Playland clone from Walt Disney Studios Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland. At least we're getting a full circuit roller coaster vs the RC racer "coaster" in those other parks.
tsland03.jpg

Also, can we talk more about why the concept art now shows a Star Wars looking land right next to Toy Story Land? I thought SW was going in the location of Indy/Echo lake? If SW is also going into Streets of America, I'm not sure I would like having Muppet's Courtyard sit right in between SWL and Star Tours.....

Seabasealpha1

full

What if Toy Story Land has been moved to the former SOA and LMA area? I have flipped the concept art image upside down and placed it in that area.

You could enter the land by walking down the already existing Pixar Place alley, it would keep Muppets intact, and be more closely connected to the projected space for Star Wars. The walkway on the far left could then go into Phase 3 which was backstage and the originally speculated space for TSL. Just a thought.

I thought of this too...of course I'm really just hoping that the concept art we're seeing on the construction walls is really just a cheap rendering... ;)

wdwgreek

full

Maybe, but by all accounts Star wars land is supposed to occupy the land behind the current star tours, but you do bring up a great point!
The only reason I'm not too terribly upset about the changes is because we're not getting another Toy Story Playland clone from Walt Disney Studios Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland. At least we're getting a full circuit roller coaster vs the RC racer "coaster" in those other parks.
TSLBirdView-002.jpg

Also, can we talk more about why the concept art now shows a Star Wars looking land right next to Toy Story Land? I thought SW was going in the location of Indy/Echo lake? If SW is also going into Streets of America, I'm not sure I would like having Muppet's Courtyard sit right in between SWL and Star Tours.....

Yes! Those threes look very star wars land esque? I wonder if we have been placing star wars land in the wrong place? Anyone know what those tree rock looking structures are supposed to be located?

Maybe, but by all accounts Star wars land is supposed to occupy the land behind the current star tours, but you do bring up a great point!

Yes! Those threes look very star wars land esque? I wonder if we have been placing star wars land in the wrong place? Anyone know what those tree rock looking structures are supposed to be located?
This would put the new land behind Star Tours. It is supposed to be 14 acres that might expand out into the parking lot, or at least beyond the Park's existing boundaries. My thought was that there would simply be a pathway behind Muppets connecting Star Wars and TSL.

CJR

I think if they had to make a cut, they probably cut the stuff people cared about the least. I'm not saying that some people weren't excited for the roller coaster, but out of all the announcements about DHS, people weren't really talking too much about TSL. I doubt it'll look bad, as it'll still add much needed green space to the park. I'd prefer the the announced version, of course, but if something had to give, I'm glad it wasn't SWL (at least, yet). Plus, they could always add and improve TSL later on. It wouldn't be too hard to do.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So the concept art for TSL appears to show Star Wars land connected. Do you know if that is accurate or is it just filler? And if it is accurate, do you know what other areas potential new lands could be going? Also, are 50's Primetime and Sc-fi still on the chopping block?
As told to me, 50s is safe and SWL was not going in this side of the park. However I still can't 100% confirm the latter.

sedati

If the rockwork trenches are lost, that would be a cut- but wouldn't changing the first lift to a launch be significantly more expensive than a slow chain lift? I feel the sweeping arch shown in the new art is a more exciting element than a slow rise and steep drop. Perhaps the original lift had too many sightline issues as you'd be up high for a long and sustained amount of time.

MississippiBelle

Anywho...I dunno...looks like they're going to depend more on landscaping to make it look more "backyard-y" like the lawn needs cut?

I'll be interested to see how the final product compares to the initial concept art. To me, it kind of seems like they are going from "the land of Andy's imagination" to "part of Andy's backyard/room - bring your own imagination" I think that theme could still be fun, if executed correctly. I get the feeling that they announced the initial concept as some sort of peace maker for the cutbacks in all of the parks and the emptiness of DHS until construction is completed. Now they are rolling out the "real" concept bit by bit. I still have faith that it will still be a fun land when all is said and done in terms of theme and ride quality. It would be crazy to spend the money to build a bland coaster in a relatively bland land, so I can't see that happening.

ToTBellHop

If the rockwork trenches are lost, that would be a cut- but wouldn't changing the first lift to a launch be significantly more expensive than a slow chain lift? I feel the sweeping arch shown in the new art is a more exciting element than a slow rise and steep drop. Perhaps the original lift had too many sightline issues as you'd be up high for a long and sustained amount of time.
The coaster? Yes. The project? No. A coaster like this may have just gone from $10 million to $13 or $14 million to build. LSM launches are pricey although the plan all along may have been to have an LSM lift hill (like California Screamin'), not a chain lift. That would lead to a largely negligible price change on the coaster track. The theming, with the trenches, could have easily cost (WDI) a further $90 million to complete. They've probably cut that by something like 50%. What was a $100 million ride (I know that's absurd, and yet...) is probably now $60 million. Maybe they needed money for Guardians of the Terror.

As for the restroom building leaving, I assume that means a building over in the Woody's Round-Up village that was originally going to be something else will now be toilets. You need toilets in any land.

To answer a question from awhile back--the new launch should increase capacity. Coasters have block sections and I would assume a coaster train will need to have cleared the 2nd launch before a 2nd train can begin the 1st launch. Since the 2nd train will now reach top speed much more quickly, they have probably shortened the interval between trains departing by 5 or 10 seconds. That increases capacity by perhaps 15%.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom