Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

wdwgreek

These cuts came from the highest level of P&R. Even Star Wars Land is getting a trim. I am curious as to how bad off SDL is. I knew there were "issues", but I am getting the impression these "issues" are much worse than I was thinking.
What a shame. How can they honestly look at Star Wars, which just made fistloads of money and think we should go cheap on this? What issues were they having? Can you share some of the issues in at least general terms? Thanks in advance

Brian Swan

Just saw the new concept art, So the entrance and Al's toybarn were cut? If so, Im going to be mad. It looked like a great land and now it just looks meh, I shouldnt be suprised.
I'm hoping that the other buildings shown in the original are just "cut off" in the new concept art and are not actually dropped from the project. But I have to agree that the changes to the Slinky Dog are disheartening.

PhilharMagician

Well, Kong has some awesome rockwork. :facepalm:

If I had never seen the earlier artwork in August, I would never have known the difference. However now having the comparison it just shows how much cost cutting happens in these projects. Thankfully we were not under this management when Splash, Thunder and DHS's ToT were being built. I am thankful that FLE at least was given as much detail as it has.

Daveeeeed

The land before was never great, but would've been fantastic to walk through a greatly themed "capacity land", but the new concept art looks horrid. It is truly now a glorified Toy Story Playland which absolutely sucked in Paris. I hate to be negative, so I'll hope that there'll be maybe a Monsters Inc. land for phase 3, or that they'll make Toy Story Land nicer. It will be inset testing to see how this plays out. Let's wait and see.

Daveeeeed

It looks like Star Wars land will be on the top left, if so, my thoughts on where Star Wars land would go makes more sense now, I figured it would stretch from LMA to Star tours, and be a deep land. If it does turn out to be like that my theory would be correct. :)

Daveeeeed

Well, Kong has some awesome rockwork. :facepalm:

If I had never seen the earlier artwork in August, I would never have known the difference. However now having the comparison it just shows how much cost cutting happens in these projects. Thankfully we were not under this management when Splash, Thunder and DHS's ToT were being built. I am thankful that FLE at least was given as much detail as it has.
This is good news for Universal.

Brian Swan

Do you get the penguin connection in Saving Mr. Banks?
Yes, we get it. We're not idiots.
full

What if Toy Story Land has been moved to the former SOA and LMA area? I have flipped the concept art image upside down and placed it in that area.

You could enter the land by walking down the already existing Pixar Place alley, it would keep Muppets intact, and be more closely connected to the projected space for Star Wars. The walkway on the far left could then go into Phase 3 which was backstage and the originally speculated space for TSL. Just a thought.
And this idea connects to TSMM how?

Kate F

I just can't even imagine what rides like ToT, Splash, and Thunder would be like if they were built today, and it would pain me to even think about it. I just don't understand. What's the excuse this time around? This is such a simple project, having only two new, lightly-themed family attractions, not to mention the fact that despite the small attraction count, it is taking up so much space. However, apparently today's Disney can't even go through with something of this sort without cutting some corners. Also, they're seriously just now getting started with the groundwork? You'd think considering how low DHS is on rides, they'd want to get this up as soon as possible. I can't really say that I'm all that surprised with any of this, but it justs hurts knowing what Disney is truly capable of, yet they keep lowering the bar for themselves. I'm not even really angry at them, I'm more embarrassed for them than anything else.

Last edited:

Brad Bishop

Yes. And the new concept looks cheaper. And finished products usually look worse than even the concept. This is why the new art is disappointing--they are already cheapening the product before they've even cleared the land!

With the way the Slinkydog Coaster is laid out, it looks a lot to me like 2DMT #2. Kind of "more of the same" rather than something new, interesting, and innovative.

Perhaps better put: You don't have to build a super high coaster (Six Flags and Cedar Fair) to build a really well-themed good/fun coaster (Big Thunder, Space Mountain, or Everest). What Slinky-Dog looks like to me is, "Hey, we did 7DMT.. Let's do something like that again!," and while 7DMT was well themed, it left you thinking, "That was it?" You don't get that from Space Mountain, Big Thunder, or Everest. You don't get it from Splash Mountain (granted not a coaster but the point is that it's a very full ride - you're not disappointed getting off).

Slinky-Dog kind of reminds me of a similar kind of thing that 7DMT is but with less theming and not much more in the way of track/ride.

No Name

Hmm. Well the style of the new art is different (less appealing, in my opinion). So some things could just be artist interpretation. But I notice quite a few small other changes, some that can't be the artist. The bridge, for example. How was the other bridge going to work anyway? They would've needed nets on both sides of the bridge, or above the track, to prevent people from throwing objects onto the riders. Also, that small building to the left of the one that had the decorated roof is now gone. And the building extension that I believe is the exit to TSMM appears far smaller. Regardless of the percieved cuts, it makes me think that the project is not as far along as most had hoped or expected.

We also don't get to see the bottom area of the land, with the entrance and those few buildings. I assume they would've been for meet and greets, shops, and maybe a food place. Maybe even a mini show. And it's totally possible that they weren't cut, but interesting that the art convientantly cuts off at that point. Maybe that part is still being decided on.

The track is a bit shorter. It looks like the part after the second launch doesn't go back as far either. Again, maybe artist interpretation. I do believe the trenches are no longer a part of this, but getting rid of the lift hill isn't too bad, in my opinion. I think that, in the future, some nice things could be added in one of both launch areas. A show scene, outdoor or indoor, could probably be added. Just some very wishful and forward thinking. Removal of scenery is in no way a positive thing.

My summary of this is that the destroyer of all things good, our friend Chappie, said "hey guys, we can't have all those meet and greets, street entertainment, decorations, all the stuff that'll make the land well received, because I am trying to help the bottom line (but in the end, will draw less people to the park and therefore make profits drop." I think a lot of what's being cut will be operational, day-to-day stuff such as characters walking around, a mini show, and little stuff like that. I'm sure many of the cuts are not clear from the art alone.

A book should be written on Paul Pressler and DCA. And Chappie should read that book. Or he can ruin his career in the exact same way, if that's what he wants to do.

Last edited:

MGMBoy

The thing that grabs my attention on the new artwork is on the far left. I know there has already been discussion regarding the structures that look kind of like the edge of Star Wars but what about the tunnel that looks like it goes below and into that area as well as the small offshoot trail that runs along the left edge of Slinky. I have a theory that the tunnel is going to be connection between the two new lands and will be somewhere around the area between Writer's Stop & The Muppet/Pizza Planet bathrooms. If they take that approach then they could have the walkway from Muppet Courtyard feed into the same tunnel and act as the scene transition. If my theory is correct then the small pathway near Slinky could be connecting up to the area right by Muppet exit/Mama Melrose. I know that would require a little sharper curving of the Toy Story area but it would make sense and allow the rest of the Star Wars area to stretch through the Indy/Echo Lake areas. Thoughts?

Edit: After looking at a little more. I would think the perfect place to put the tunnel would be between where the Osborne tree used to go and Youse Guys. That way the old entry from Muppet Courtyard could be converted into another tunnel to join up with the one in the picture and it would allow a little area for taller separation theming.

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

These cuts came from the highest level of P&R. Even Star Wars Land is getting a trim. I am curious as to how bad off SDL is. I knew there were "issues", but I am getting the impression these "issues" are much worse than I was thinking.
Interesting. @marni1971 just posted yesterday that SWL was safe from cuts. Is there anything you can talk about?

Disneyhead'71

These cuts were in the works from the day Bruce Vaughn was let go. That is one reason it has taken so long to get started. They were pretty much cutting while they were revealing the art in August. I am sure they wished D23 was a month later.

And I noticed that they cut the big shovel and extra track pieces that were sitting around. And the folded billboard at the end.

Disneyhead'71

Interesting. @marni1971 just posted yesterday that SWL was safe from cuts. Is there anything you can talk about?
I believe that Martin said that the content of SWL will pretty much be built. Meaning that we will still be getting the announced attractions. But the sharp pencil boys are going throughout the plans now and cutting the icing. So, Martin is correct that the cake remains the same, the icing on it will be less ornate.

thumbnail-2.jpg

VS

14-beautiful-christmas-cake.preview.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The thing that grabs my attention on the new artwork is on the far left. I know there has already been discussion regarding the structures that look kind of like the edge of Star Wars but what about the tunnel that looks like it goes below and into that area as well as the small offshoot trail that runs along the left edge of Slinky. I have a theory that the tunnel is going to be connection between the two new lands and will be somewhere around the area between Writer's Stop & The Muppet/Pizza Planet bathrooms. If they take that approach then they could have the walkway from Muppet Courtyard feed into the same tunnel and act as the scene transition. If my theory is correct then the small pathway near Slinky could be connecting up to the area right by Muppet exit/Mama Melrose. I know that would require a little sharper curving of the Toy Story area but it would make sense and allow the rest of the Star Wars area to stretch through the Indy/Echo Lake areas. Thoughts?

Edit: After looking at a little more. I would think the perfect place to put the tunnel would be between where the Osborne tree used to go and Youse Guys. That way the old entry from Muppet Courtyard could be converted into another tunnel to join up with the one in the picture and it would allow a little area for taller separation theming.

That tunnel is no where near Writer's shop, it's more over towards where Catastrophe Canyon was.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom