Toy Story and Soarin Rumors

Mike S

Totally different conversations... expanding TSMM is like buying steak for dinner, and adding a new attraction is like buying a house. Completely different. It has minimal engineering costs, and investment. Building a new ride all together is a long drawn out process, that is very expensive.
Exactly my point, it's cheap. Thanks for playing.

flyerjab

[QUOTE="flyerjab, post: 6295338, member: 91341"
I always have to remember that when thinking the way Disney does, anything that is related to logistics, strategy, or planning, eventually ends up being executed at 1/3 the speed of, say, a project at a nearby competitor.

A thread just isn't a thread without a Universal is better, faster, and beating Disney comment... thanks.[/QUOTE]

Hey, you're welcome. If you look at most of my posts, you would know that I meant that as a joke.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I look at this two ways. First this park does need additional rides, but even if you added more rides to the park, just as many people would want to ride Toy Story and Soarin. So I do not think adding additions will reduce wait times on this two very popular rides. The only thing that will reduce the wait times is more capacity. So I would love to see both of these happen.

ParentsOf4

They are spending a ton of money in Florida.
Please examine Disney's 10Q and quarterly reports.

Domestic P&R capex is half what it was 2 years ago.

As a percentage of P&R revenue, domestic capex is at a post 9/11 level, a time when WDW was closing hotels, cancelling fireworks, and laying off employees.

Compared to previous years, today's reinvestment back into WDW is downright miserly.

dadddio

"Screw Star Wars Land, screw Disco Yeti, screw Frozen E-ticket. I want an additional track for Toy Story Midway Mania!!!!" ..... Said no one, EVER
Gosh. I think lots of people might choose to put off repairing the yeti if it meant that TSMM had a 1/3 faster line. Many (most?) people don't even know that the Yeti is broken, after all.

Last edited:

dadddio

Exactly. It doesn't even need one track, let alone three. You could play the entire video game sitting in front of a single screen. There's no reason to move the vehicle from scene to scene. It's not like they tried hard on that one and had the vehicles go through themed areas like Andy's bedroom or Pizza Planet...it just moves from video screen to video screen.
I know. It's horrible. That's why no one ever wants to ride it.

dadddio

I look at this two ways. First this park does need additional rides, but even if you added more rides to the park, just as many people would want to ride Toy Story and Soarin. So I do not think adding additions will reduce wait times on this two very popular rides. The only thing that will reduce the wait times is more capacity. So I would love to see both of these happen.
Agreed. Additional rides are going to bring additional people into the park. Those people aren't going to just want to ride the new ride, they're also going to want to ride TSMM/Soarin'.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

I agree, particularly with a new version Soarin' on the way eventually. These two rides have been around long enough that it's safe to say we are past the "it's the new ride" cause of long lines. Desire to ride isn't going to go down significantly, so adding capacity is the way to reduce the wait and increase guest satisfaction.

doctornick

I think this is mostly true. The rides are popular and even long wait times do not deter people from riding them. Increasing the capacity is a guest-friendly thing to do.

But if TDO were to build other rides in those parks, it would probably decrease demand somewhat. At least some portion of the folks waiting in line are doing so because they are in the park and would rather wait 60 minutes for Soarin' that do an alternative attraction. And with TSMM, if you have young children, it might be the most important (only) thing in the park your kids want to do. If alternative rides existed, some people ride ride them and forgo the wait; this is particularly true for people who are riding multiple times who might opt to ride once only and then move on rather than re-ride if more alternative options exist.

Captain Neo

Of course, I'd never hold you to that time frame, just curious. I'm visiting in November and would love to get one last untouched ride through SeaVenture
Maelstrom+1987+2.jpg

whoa that place looks just like the entrance to Maelstrom

xstech25

Seeing people complain about adding capacity to rides that always have ridiculously long lines really shows the mentality of some people. Somebody said "The reason Soarin' never has a long wait at DCA is because there is more stuff to do." Soarin' gets long lines at DCA all the time, go on a weekend and its common for the line to be 60-90.

The fact that you think the park needs more rides has nothing to do with this: these are extremely popular and marketable rides that people see on the Discovery/Travel Channel and people are going to want to ride when they go to WDW. The only problem I have with these projects is that they took so long (10 years of angry customers before actually doing something to fix it).

Last edited:

Mike S

Seeing people complain about adding capacity to rides that always have ridiculously long lines really shows the mentality of some people. Somebody said "The reason Soarin' never has a long wait at DCA is because there is more stuff to do." Soarin' gets long lines at DCA all the time, go on a weekend and its common for the line to be 60-90.

The fact that you think the park needs more rides has nothing to do with this: these are extremely popular and marketable rides that people see on the Discovery/Travel Channel and are going to want to ride when they go to WDW. The only problem I have with these projects is that they took so long (10 years of angry customers before actually doing something to fix it).
Soarin' would make sense to expand capacity. Toy Story however would be taking over prime real estate for a new ride that would be a much better use of that space.

cw1982

The fact that you think the park needs more rides has nothing to do with this: these are extremely popular and marketable rides that people see on the Discovery/Travel Channel and people are going to want to ride when they go to WDW. The only problem I have with these projects is that they took so long (10 years of angry customers before actually doing something to fix it).

What @Mike S said.

Besides, if there were more attractions to help spread the crowd, the line wouldn't get so long as often. Sure there would be days when it still happens, but the problem is that there are only two rides at Epcot that typically build that kind of a wait time while everything else is easily less than a 30 minute wait.

Adding capacity to a ride might help some, but it's like putting a band aid over a cut that needs stitches. The real solution has to involve more, or the park will still have capacity issues. At Epcot, Soarin absolutely needs a third theater, but Epcot also needs more rides (and no, I'm not talking about the Maelstrom overlay, because no matter what one's position is on that ride, the overlay doesn't add another ride).

HS absolutely has a dire need for more attractions. Mike hit the nail on the head when he said that adding capacity to TSMM is a bad idea if it sacrifices a potential area for another attraction.

cw1982

Why would it be much better use for that space? There is lots of space in the park for new rides, they can add capacity to Toy Story Mania and still add new rides...

That park needs all the help it can get. If Disney adds more rides, they won't have the capacity issues for that one as consistently as they do now, so they wouldn't need to turn around and spend money on adding on to TSMM as well.

Besides, if they make it so that people get in and out of that one quicker and then don't give them anything else to do, people might be less likely to eat on property if they're not staying for the whole day, since they'll finish their plans at that park earlier and not feel the urgency to buy food that they do if they've been waiting in a long line ;) Since this is TDO we're talking about, and they're not likely to do both (at least not in a timely manner), my vote is for the option that gives guests more choices.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom