Toy Story and Soarin Rumors

RSoxNo1

The TSM expansion for the 3rd track is officially happening, been on the books for some time now. Expect prep work for Sound Stage 1 to take place in the next few months based on the current schedule
I just did a quick look through your previous posts. Are you a cast member? What is your connection to the information?

MarkTwain

I'd agree with you IF this was being done as a general "plussing" of the attraction and in conjunction with the opening of new attractions. From a cost-benefit analysis I'd have to assume an update to Universe of Energy or a new Imagination ride would be better than adding capacity to a ride that has been operating since 2005.

I'd agree with that. The optimistic part of me wants to believe this small project (by comparison) wouldn't throw other projects out of the pipeline, but we know how Disney operates...

RSoxNo1

Bringing this quote over to this thread where it may be relevant:
Ohhhhhhhhh.

First I've heard anything about it.

All I know is that some executive has that area reserved for a project starting in October....
I said it earlier in the thread and I'll say it again now - I would not be surprised if the reason why a 3rd theater and 3rd track have potentially been approved is because they were rolled into the Green Light Factory that is the Next Gen budget.

Back when the Fastpass+ project was in it's infancy (known as XPass), a third theater for Soarin' was suggested. This was back in March of 2012, first mentioned by Jim Hill.

PhotoDave219

Bringing this quote over to this thread where it may be relevant:

I said it earlier in the thread and I'll say it again now - I would not be surprised if the reason why a 3rd theater and 3rd track have potentially been approved is because they were rolled into the Green Light Factory that is the Next Gen budget.

Back when the Fastpass+ project was in it's infancy (known as XPass), a third theater for Soarin' was suggested. This was back in March of 2012, first mentioned by Jim Hill.

Well both of those rides have ridiculous capacity issues…

I'm still not convinced that toy story would be able to easily add a third track.

DisUniversal

"Screw Star Wars Land, screw Disco Yeti, screw Frozen E-ticket. I want an additional track for Toy Story Midway Mania!!!!" ..... Said no one, EVER
Exactly. It doesn't even need one track, let alone three. You could play the entire video game sitting in front of a single screen. There's no reason to move the vehicle from scene to scene. It's not like they tried hard on that one and had the vehicles go through themed areas like Andy's bedroom or Pizza Planet...it just moves from video screen to video screen.

ParentsOf4

"Screw Star Wars Land, screw Disco Yeti, screw Frozen E-ticket. I want an additional track for Toy Story Midway Mania!!!!" ..... Said no one, EVER
I've been clamoring for a third Soarin' theater and a second Toy Story Mania track for some time.

However, I respectfully disagree with your entire premise that it's an either/or proposition.

Disney's domestic P&R capital investment is so low right now that Disney could build a third Soarin' theater and a second Toy Story Mania track and Star Wars Land and fix Disco Yeti and add a Frozen E-ticket and still be investing at a rate that's lower than when Michael Eisner was CEO.

Bob Iger is just a cheap CEO (the only 3 letter acronym I'll use) who has no idea how to run WDW.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

Well both of those rides have ridiculous capacity issues…

I'm still not convinced that toy story would be able to easily add a third track.

Exactly. It doesn't even need one track, let alone three. You could play the entire video game sitting in front of a single screen. There's no reason to move the vehicle from scene to scene. It's not like they tried hard on that one and had the vehicles go through themed areas like Andy's bedroom or Pizza Planet...it just moves from video screen to video screen.

There are two tracks currently. We looked at it earlier in this thread (@Rob562 posted it)
toy_story_mania_possibilities.jpg

Soundstage 1 is to the left of this, with the dark green area being the queue. It should be easy to reconfigure the queue for an additional track (or two) on the left.

I've been clamoring for a third Soarin' theater and a second Toy Story Mania track for some time.

However, I respectfully disagree with your entire premise that it's an either/or proposition.

Disney's domestic P&R capital investment is so low right now that Disney could build a third Soarin' theater and a second Toy Story Mania track and Star Wars Land and fix Disco Yeti and add a Frozen E-ticket and still be investing at a rate that's lower than when Michael Eisner was CEO.

Bob Iger is just a cheap CEO (the only 3 letter acronym I'll use) who has no idea how to run WDW.

No doubt this is true. They could also update Little Mermaid and Big Thunder as well.

RSoxNo1

And the only reason there are capacity issues is the woeful lack of attractions…forget the third theater and third track, add new attractions…
Agreed, but it's not like a 3rd track and 3rd theater wouldn't help. Of course, over at Epcot they are likely creating a new problem with a Frozen attraction likely to have a low capacity.

mickhyperion

You beat me to it. There is zero way to expand into Soundstage 1 without totally redoing the attraction.

Here's the layout:
toy_story_mania_possibilities.jpg

Soundstage 1 is to the *left* of all this. The only time the attraction gets anywhere near it is the final section of the outer track.

And the original thread that's from:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/toy-story-mania-layout.159467/page-2

-Rob

Wow, amazing to see this color coded version of the track layout I made seven years ago still being dragged out and linked to. Funny also to see the bits that are wrong.

boufa

They are spending a ton of money in Florida. Might not be what we want it spent on, but they are spending the money. New Fantasyland, Avatar, other AK expansions/upgrades, AoA, DVC, Disney Springs, Hub Re-do and a million other things currently blocked by walls and scrims (and about a 90+% chance of a Star Wars Land)

I agree that had I controlled the wallet, I might have chosen different projects, but that doesn't mean it isn't being spent. New attractions are sexy, they are fun, but increasing capacity and allowing more access to more people is a huge deal. Right now Disney seems focused on capacity issues (bigger buses, hub redo, added dock at TTC, FP+ and some other test programs). Not very pretty, but needed. Imagine a Soarin' upgrade with a new film (also currently an extremely likely reality). How often do you go to soarin'? On an average trip to WDW I go to epcot twice...But I only go to soarin once (the line is too long, and I use my other FP on TestTrack). I am certain that a new film would make me go twice, or more. Now multiply that by the numbers of people that go to Epcot... the lines would be even more outrageous than they are now.

ajbidwell

They are spending a ton of money in Florida. Might not be what we want it spent on, but they are spending the money. New Fantasyland, Avatar, other AK expansions/upgrades, AoA, DVC, Disney Springs, Hub Re-do and a million other things currently blocked by walls and scrims (and about a 90+% chance of a Star Wars Land)

I agree that had I controlled the wallet, I might have chosen different projects, but that doesn't mean it isn't being spent. New attractions are sexy, they are fun, but increasing capacity and allowing more access to more people is a huge deal. Right now Disney seems focused on capacity issues (bigger buses, hub redo, added dock at TTC, FP+ and some other test programs). Not very pretty, but needed. Imagine a Soarin' upgrade with a new film (also currently an extremely likely reality). How often do you go to soarin'? On an average trip to WDW I go to epcot twice...But I only go to soarin once (the line is too long, and I use my other FP on TestTrack). I am certain that a new film would make me go twice, or more. Now multiply that by the numbers of people that go to Epcot... the lines would be even more outrageous than they are now.

Adding on to this, the additional track/screen make a lot of sense in the big picture. Soarin' is likely getting a new film that will drive the already high demand up and Epcot probably has to wait for both DAK and HS to get their expansions before any work would begin on new attractions. A Star Wars expansion at HS it would possibly cause the closure of an attraction, again putting additional strain on an already popular ride. Putting a new track in would help keep wait times reasonable during the 2-3 years it would take to do the expansion.

Of course we all want more investment in completely new experiences, but both of these are logical moves.

flyerjab

Adding on to this, the additional track/screen make a lot of sense in the big picture. Soarin' is likely getting a new film that will drive the already high demand up and Epcot probably has to wait for both DAK and HS to get their expansions before any work would begin on new attractions. A Star Wars expansion at HS it would possibly cause the closure of an attraction, again putting additional strain on an already popular ride. Putting a new track in would help keep wait times reasonable during the 2-3 years it would take to do the expansion.

Of course we all want more investment in completely new experiences, but both of these are logical moves.

Never thought about TSMM expansion like that before. It could very well be seen as a capacity move to be done before serious work is started in that park. And by serious work I mean additional attractions closing before any expansion work would commence 2 to 3 years from now.

I always have to remember that when thinking the way Disney does, anything that is related to logistics, strategy, or planning, eventually ends up being executed at 1/3 the speed of, say, a project at a nearby competitor.

boufa

How about we get a new ride in that space while we wait for Star Wars rather than another track for TSMM? Completely impossible I know :rolleyes:

Totally different conversations... expanding TSMM is like buying steak for dinner, and adding a new attraction is like buying a house. Completely different. It has minimal engineering costs, and investment. Building a new ride all together is a long drawn out process, that is very expensive.

boufa

[QUOTE="flyerjab, post: 6295338, member: 91341"
I always have to remember that when thinking the way Disney does, anything that is related to logistics, strategy, or planning, eventually ends up being executed at 1/3 the speed of, say, a project at a nearby competitor.[/QUOTE]

A thread just isn't a thread without a Universal is better, faster, and beating Disney comment... thanks.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The site that originally posted this rumor has posted some more information...

"I also noted early last month that there would be a third track added to Toy Story Midway Mania. While no other blogs other than Screamscape have really picked up on this, the truth is that development on that track addition is further along than I really thought it would be. Some have thought this to be impossible given the track design. One new insight that I have is that in inserting this new track, the area dedicated to guests with mobility challenges will be moved to a new location."

http://disneyatwork.com/2014/08/big-walt-disney-world-attraction-changes-ahead/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom