Top 5 Most Overrated Attractions

SirGoofy

Originally posted by andre85
I could be wrong, but from my understanding, Rock 'N' Roller Coaster was an original attraction when it came out, as in it was the first to have that track layout.

Even though it has been duplicated since, whoopdy-doo. It's the theming I go for, not just the ride, and I get what I want in spades.

RnR is a great ride, but its theming is horrible. Cardboard cut outs with a black light just doesnt cut it for a Disney ride.

Testtrack321

Interesting, about half of these rides where announced, built, and opened with all of this internet hoopla, especially M:S and Test Track.... anyway, here's my list.

1.) Country Bear- lame. Sorry Grizz, but not only is there no plot or tie in to Frontierland, but the songs, AAs, and whole exprence is lackluster. Just move the Frontierland Shootin' Arcade into here and you have one kick-butt show! :lol:

2.) Kali- Grizzly River Run, better, hands down. Ride is short, pointless, and the whole story is lost.

3.) Small World- If they made it half as long and atleast made it nicer it would be gone from this list, but oh well...

4.) Tomorrowland Speedway- even with no hype, this ride still is overrated. It's existance alone is like Superstar Limo, it lowers people's IQ.

5.) Beauty & The Beast Stage Show- Wow, a poorly done version of an ok movie! They keep this, yet get rid of Hunchback, go figure.

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by grandmath
The centrifuge is the tool to tell the story right, not the aim of the ride. Point is, you don't feel it is spinning. I could also say: what is the point of going up and down really fast on TOT? Going around is boring, but it simulates speed and G forces, and therefore a lift off 100000000x better than a RRC launch, and for that it is exciting.

You go upside down on RRC but to me, MS is much more engaging and disorienting.

Actually, TOT was about to make my list...the ONLY parts I liked about TOT was stopping to see the ghosts and going through the 'Twilight Zone' room. If it didn't have those elements in there, it would be completely pointless.

btw, what exactly IS the story told on MS? I've never been on it (which I'm sure I'll get blasted for that since I put it on my list) but from what I gather all there is is Gary Sinise doing the pre-show, then you get in the pod, watch a computer animated video of going to Mars while feeling like your blasting off in a rocket, and pushing buttons when your told to. But if disorientation is the feeling they're going for, then heck! I could do that for free! All I have to do is spin around for a few minutes.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding like a bit of a smart@ss, but this thread is nothing but people's opinion on the most overratted attractions. I gave my opinion and I get the vibe that some people are trying to say I'm wrong. Whether or not that was peoples' intentions, that's just how I'm recieveing it. It's great if you really like M:S, but I have different views. Just remember that these are people's opinions. There's been several opinions on this thread that i don't agree with at all, and that's ok. I don't expect you to agree with mine. Just know that it's my opinion and nothing more.

dae_woods

5) Maelstrom - When the boring post show is longer than the ride, that sucks. I'm just glad that you get to walk through it before it starts.

4) El Rio Del Tiempo - images of mexicans on tv screens can be seen in a theater rather than wasting a boat ride on it.

3) Indy Speedway - I hate to say it but it is true. Living 10 minutes from the actual 500 track makes this ride a huge dissapointment.

2) Small World - Boring.

1) The Enchanted Tiki Birds - What is up with this? It has been "UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT" for like 4 years now. I think now that have to change the show to be after the actual takeover by Zazu and Iago. Change it.

dxwwf3

Original Poster
Originally posted by Dizknee_Phreek
Actually, TOT was about to make my list...the ONLY parts I liked about TOT was stopping to see the ghosts and going through the 'Twilight Zone' room. If it didn't have those elements in there, it would be completely pointless.

btw, what exactly IS the story told on MS? I've never been on it (which I'm sure I'll get blasted for that since I put it on my list) but from what I gather all there is is Gary Sinise doing the pre-show, then you get in the pod, watch a computer animated video of going to Mars while feeling like your blasting off in a rocket, and pushing buttons when your told to. But if disorientation is the feeling they're going for, then heck! I could do that for free! All I have to do is spin around for a few minutes.

Well you pretty much listed everything in the ToT ride except for the drops there :animwink:

And I guess I need to add a new rule here. You actually have to have ridden the attraction to say it is overrated :brick: . There is NO way you can say an attraction is overrated if you've never even been on it! While Mission Space is not my all time favorite attraction and I would still rather have Horizons, M:S is STILL a wonderful thrill ride and is something to be proud of (if you worked on it). M:S is something you have to experience because you aren't going to get that type of feeling from "spinning around for a few minutes". I hate to blast you here, but you really did ask for it (Literally) :lol:

imagineer99

Originally posted by andre85
I could be wrong, but from my understanding, Rock 'N' Roller Coaster was an original attraction when it came out, as in it was the first to have that track layout.

Even though it has been duplicated since, whoopdy-doo. It's the theming I go for, not just the ride, and I get what I want in spades.

Disney was the first to use that EXACT track design. However, it by no means the first coaster of its kind.

Expo_Seeker40

1. Test Track [Even after riding it, I was still singing "It's Fun To Be Free".]

2. Mission Space: [I learned more about barff bags, and was slightly amused by the take off.

3. Spaceship Earth [No wonder AT&T lost all hope, the ride needs some serious help to bring back it's charm.]

4. Ellen's Energy Adventure :snore: [The original was better.]

5. The Backlot Tour :cry: [The original was better.]

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by dxwwf3
Well you pretty much listed everything in the ToT ride except for the drops there :animwink:

exactly...the parts before the drops are what makes the attraction worthwhile, imo.

And I guess I need to add a new rule here. You actually have to have ridden the attraction to say it is overrated :brick: . There is NO way you can say an attraction is overrated if you've never even been on it! While Mission Space is not my all time favorite attraction and I would still rather have Horizons, M:S is STILL a wonderful thrill ride and is something to be proud of (if you worked on it). M:S is something you have to experience because you aren't going to get that type of feeling from "spinning around for a few minutes". I hate to blast you here, but you really did ask for it (Literally) :lol:

I was in no way saying that M:S wasn't a good ride, or a waste of time (for thrill seekers I'm sure it's great). I dunno...I still don't see the point of it because no one has ever said what exactly the story is behind it. I still stand by my belief that it's overratted. And, according to some of the other lists on this thread, I'm not the only one.
And I didn't 'literally' ask you to blast me...I just said I figured it was going to happen. ;)

*edit* There's such a thing as being overhyped...so maybe that's what I think about when I think of M:S. Not so much overrated, as overhyped.

awallaceunc

Discounting what I haven't ridden, and again in no particular order...

1. Festival of the Lion King... it's ok, but does no justice to the movie. To herald it as WDW's best film-to-stage adaptation is an insult to BATB in MGM.

2. The Country Bear Jamboree... it's Chucky-Cheese without the pizza

3. The Living Seas... is there even anything to do here? I mean, don't get me wrong, I enjoy a ride on the Hydrolater as much as the next guy, but I can't see this as anything but a diversion, at best. Then again, I'm just not a fish person

4. Alien Encounter... my own expectations are probably at fault here, but it wasn't as scary as everyone told me, not even close

5. Donald's Boat :lol:

-Aaron

dxwwf3

Original Poster
Originally posted by Dizknee_Phreek
I was in no way saying that M:S wasn't a good ride, or a waste of time (for thrill seekers I'm sure it's great). I dunno...I still don't see the point of it because no one has ever said what exactly the story is behind it. I still stand by my belief that it's overratted. And, according to some of the other lists on this thread, I'm not the only one.
And I didn't 'literally' ask you to blast me...I just said I figured it was going to happen. ;)

*edit* There's such a thing as being overhyped...so maybe that's what I think about when I think of M:S. Not so much overrated, as overhyped.

Well you gotta ride M:S and if you feel the same way that's fine. I personally love it (Even though I agree that it was overhyped, but very few things live up to my expectations).

The story behind it is basically you go into a space training center where you are preparing to go on a mission to mars in the X2 Rockets. There's more to it than that but AGAIN you'll just have to see it for yourself. It's more of an experience than a "thrill ride" that we are used to. I personally feel that it is quite tame compared to what the warnings would have you believe, but it is still one of the best thrills in WDW.

brisem

1) Winnie the Pooh
2) Honey I strunk the Audience
3)El Rio Del Tempo
4) Muppets 4-D
5) Ellen's Energy Adventure

andre85

Originally posted by imagineer99
Disney was the first to use that EXACT track design. However, it by no means the first coaster of its kind.

I didn't claim it was. I don't think there have been many coasters that can claim the title of being completely original, as every coaster is merely an offshoot of the same basic technology.

Merlin

Account Suspended
It seems a lot of people are misinterpreting the point of this thread. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we're not listing attractions that we simply don't like. Rather, we're listing ones that we believe to be "overrated" (which means that whether we LIKE the attraction or not is immaterial, rather we're rating the attractions based on how they stack up to their hype).

Having said that, here are mine:

Alien Encounter: Hyped in a major way by Disney and continues to be hyped by Disney fans more than any defunct attraction (except possibly Horizons). This attraction was a major dud and a complete waste of space. Since it took place almost entirely in the dark, it seemed pointless to hold it in that location.

Soarin': (I apologize if we were supposed to only list WDW attractions). This attraction is enjoyable. But it blows me away whenever I read about people describing it as "amazing" and referring to it as their "all time favorite".

Horizons: It was a fun attraction. But I was just as excited to see this one shut down as I was to see Mission to Mars close. It had become really hoaky and laughable.

Fantasmic (at MGM): Anyone who is impressed by this show needs to see the Disneyland version.

It's a Small World: I just don't get it. Never have.

Bill

Account Suspended
Well, in that case:

1. Mission: SPACE
2. Mad Tea Party
3. DINO-RAMA
4. Playhouse Disney- Live on Stage
5: Fantasmic!

CDS Disney

I enjoy the ride but Test Track is the most over rated. Driving in RI is exactly the same. 75 mph on the highway (you want a thrill drive 95 to the Thurber’s ave curve). Stop and go traffic slamming on breaks. Come time for Brown and URI graduation you have to avoid all the out of staters that can't drive.

brentley2

3. Dinosaur...when I think about what this ride could have been, it upsets me.

I have heard many people say this...I missed out on inside info when this ride was being developed...what was the original plan for this ride? It's pretty intense as far as I am concerned, but then I am not wild about spinning around in complete darkness, and then finding a reptile threatening you.
But then, I have an aversion to reptiles anyway...:eek:

nikechic

5. Dino-Rama...how does that fit in to the rest of the park. I have watched Travel Channel and the Imagineers trying to explain its purpose only makes me hate it more.

4. Living Seas....please please do something with it

3. Star Tours--shakey, jerky, and does anyone else think the Air Conditioning shuts off in the middle.

2. Tea Party-- Spin me round and round, watch me puke in Fantasyland

1. Body Wars--It's like Star Tours only we are traveling through the human body which would make me queezy whether we were moving or not. The last time I went on it I passed out and my best friend threw up on my other friend's shoe. What a fun adventure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom