Tony Baxter hints at the future!

Oddysey

While I believe MS is is a good attraction, I will give you the typical Epcot nut response of "I would prefer an updated version of Horizons".

MS is perfect for vacationers who do not get to DW often, but being a passholder the past 6 years, it loses its luster very quickly. I may ride this once a year and only because my wife enjoys it. Horizons had more replay value, and is an attraction I would likely ride every trip to epcot.

I have nothing against thrill rides as TT is my favorite attraction at Epcot. In fact, it has nothing to do with nostalgia because I prefer TT over WoM. It's just that spinning around in a confined space is only fun one or two times before you realize you are just spinning in a confined space watching the same video. Not to mention the odd feeling afterwards.

Of course, this is only my opinion and others will view this differently.

Buried20KLeague

I was on the original R&D team for Indy at WDI. The cool thing is we originally mocked up the ride system as an AGV-based prototype. Funny story about one of the first proof of concepts. Lucas, Eisner and Wells were there and looking forward to riding it. We had it set up at the Te Hunga building all programmed and ready for a spin. They boarded the car and we started it up. It was going along well in its figure 8 pattern for a while until the vehicle's guidance receiver went out. The E stop bus is supposed to activate in that situation but it didn't. The vehicle left its safe path and started heading toward a wall at full speed. We were frantically trying to figure out how to stop it before we killed all three of them. Thankfully two of our guys were close enough to the path that they were able to run with the car and reach over to the E Stop button.

To make a long story a bit shorter, the car stopped ubruptly and their reaction was like 3 teenagers that just got off an exhilerating thrill ride. They loved it and bought off on it for further development. They had no idea that they were about to be seriously injured. That was the day we decided not to go with the wireless system for that attraction. :D

I just wanna say I'm glad you post here. :wave:

Also...

HOLY COW - RECORD FOR LONGEST REBIRTH OF A THREAD AFTER A 5 YEAR HIATUS.

(Not including food and wine altercation :lookaroun)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
You know what is great or all of us....

That Disney did not have that mindset in the early 1950's...
if so there would never have been a Disneyland and we wouldnt be on here right now.

food for thought.

if you build it, they will come

Agreed. However, there is a heck of a lot that don't succeed and financially collapse and close. Walt Disney was a one off.

RobGraves

the problem for GM is that they did NOT work to innovate for a new world, they did NOT spend money and take a risk on changing themselves to adapt... and they lost out to the companies that did. GM is the perfect example of the mindset of "oh we dont need anything new, lets keep giving people the same thing, even if its mediocre it is good enough." Worked out well for them though.... right?

That said Honda should sponsor.

CaptainMichael

the problem for GM is that they did NOT work to innovate for a new world, they did NOT spend money and take a risk on changing themselves to adapt... and they lost out to the companies that did. GM is the perfect example of the mindset of "oh we dont need anything new, lets keep giving people the same thing, even if its mediocre it is good enough." Worked out well for them though.... right?

Anb by the time they realized this, it was too late. GM was actually starting to build quality vehicles again.

HMF

That said Honda should sponsor.
We need to create a DOM logo for GM.:animwink:

DisneyDellsDude

Mission Space is not just a plain old centrifuge like some here have said.
If our annual fair had Mission Space type attractions, I don't I'd be traveling to WDW that often.:animwink:

gsimpson

GM had sparks of imagination but...

Throughout the years GM has had some very good ideas and some very bright managers, but just like Wall Street loved Mike E they loved any manager at GM who was into the low cost status quo. I have the fortune to live in one of the few areas of the country (Phoenix Arizona) where GM provided a FULL ELECTRIC vehicle. I had it for 5 years and, like most EV-1 owners, had to be threatened with legal action to give it up. During the 5 years I owned it I put 3 or perhaps 4 tanks of gas in my conventional car. I was completely convinced that I would never have to buy another fossil fuel car again. Since GM forced me to give up the EV-1 and closed down the Olds division (I owned 11 new Oldmobiles in my life) I can't forsee my ever buying any product from them, no matter how much of my tax money goes to them. The car out ran most sports cars (0-80 < 7 seconds), got 120 miles to a charge, and was dirt cheap to operate. But Wall Street wanted instant return on investment so they (along with the administration) forced California to get rid of the law that required all car companies to product ZEVs (zero emission vehicles) and Wagner IMMEDIATLY killed the EV-1, which was on its 2nd generation and about to come out with its 3rd gen. Of course Wall Street celebrated because Escalades brought in much higher margins (sound familiar??). This all happened in the mid to late 90s, quite a few years before the Prius and other cars. GM had a HUGE edge but squandered it for short term margins, just what Wall Street demanded, again... sound familiar? Now of course we are supposed to be happy that our tax dollars are going to Wall Street and GM. Oh well. Sorry for the off topic rant, I just hate the fact that we were many years ahead of everyone and threw it away.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
But what was the problem? Poor Management.

Makes me scared, to be honest.:dazzle:

Thats just one of a whole laundry list of problems. GM and the other car companies were so rich and fat up through the 70's that they had no thought of good business practices and spent like drunken sailors.

They gave the union everything it wanted to the point where today the profit from a car sale goes almost totally to paying salaries, benefits and retirement. No way to recover from that.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Thats just one of a whole laundry list of problems. GM and the other car companies were so rich and fat up through the 70's that they had no thought of good business practices and spent like drunken sailors.

They gave the union everything it wanted to the point where today the profit from a car sale goes almost totally to paying salaries, benefits and retirement. No way to recover from that.
For the first time in my life, I am actually interested to see how the decisions pan out with the new "management" that is in place as of yesterday (at least appointed). Im rooting for them.

EPCOT Explorer

Oh, agreed. In the end though, it's really a shame.

EPCOT Explorer

The biggest shame is that we could all be driving vehicles with the zero-emission engines described above right now...instead we're being held hostage by oil companies with deep pockets. $$$ talks.

Feel the Flow...Here we go! It's the Universe of Energy...

:lookaroun :lol:
Eh, give it a decade or two...

RobGraves

but now we also have a nicely brainwashed society of people who believe that electric cars are wimpy and they are only manly and american if they have the biggest gas guzzling SUV on the market.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom