News Tomorrowland love

Lil Copter Cap

Hopefully they add some landscaping during the process, a couple new flower planters or shrubs would be a nice addition to break up what is currently a concrete jungle.
I couldn't place why I felt weird about this visually (regardless of the piecemeal updates we are seeing) and I think you just hit the nail on the head for me. The concrete to greenery ratio as soon as you pass the hub threshold feels wrong.

ppete1975

IS it safe to say that Magic Kingdoms refresh of Tomorrowland (removing the towers etc) is the east coast version of disneyland removing the people mover.
A mistake they regret but cant go back now.

note2001

TBH, I don't think I ever noticed the cog designs on the walkways. There were always too many people walking on them.
I'd love if some of the fiberoptic elements EPCOT Future World had were created here.

I don’t like the rocks either.
I liked the rocks in more natural hues. This "hey look, I'm a purple donkey" bit on elements that should be just accepted as nature needs to stop. Disney knows how to make a location look enticing with just lighting.

Skywise

TBH, I don't think I ever noticed the cog designs on the walkways. There were always too many people walking on them.
I'd love if some of the fiberoptic elements EPCOT Future World had were created here.
Agreed - fiber optic lighting on the ground as well as underglow RGB lighting under the people mover track would add a lot. - thats "the future" right now (and would also fit in with the Tron ride)

As it stands, Tomorrowland is always the place that appeals to my heart but is actually one of the last lands I like to walk around in and experience.

ppete1975

I liked the rocks in more natural hues. This "hey look, I'm a purple donkey" bit on elements that should be just accepted as nature needs to stop. Disney knows how to make a location look enticing with just lighting.
maybe i just dont understand the "story" behind them?? Are we on another planet? I thought tomorrowland was earth (once again why are they painted like that then?)... and weve seen in every movie about the future that if we go to the bleak minimalist look.. rocks are the first thing to go.. along with trees. And who is lazy enough to build a city and not dynamite the rocks. What city in 2021 left jagged rocks in the middle of their city (unless its in a park)?
Id rather go pure future industrial or go to a future blends with nature view.

ppete1975

Agreed - fiber optic lighting on the ground as well as underglow RGB lighting under the people mover track would add a lot. - thats "the future" right now (and would also fit in the Tron ride)

As it stands, Tomorrowland is always the place that appeals to my heart but is actually one of the last lands I like to walk around in and experience.
its cool at night from the astro orbiter or people mover.. outside of that i dont even notice the architecture, which is sad compared to everything else disney.

I wouldnt even mind seeing led ribbon boards or ad boards for fictitious companies (maybe they talk to you... hey you in the yellow hat buy some Astro juice) or use the magic band.. (hey richard have you been to mars lately)
and then on the ribbon leds have fictitious news or even ride times, or disney history

Bocabear

I remember when the rock painting started someone on the forums kept saying there was special digital mapping on the silver rocks that would make them come alive at night... Well that was a lie and they just look terrible. WHY is there NO integration of the TRON architecture anywhere else in Tomorrowland... Seems to me some sort of Tron Canopy detail would make a better entrance to Tomorrowland than those ridiculous rocks and the stupid purple wall.

kevlightyear

maybe i just dont understand the "story" behind them?? Are we on another planet? I thought tomorrowland was earth (once again why are they painted like that then?)... and weve seen in every movie about the future that if we go to the bleak minimalist look.. rocks are the first thing to go.. along with trees. And who is lazy enough to build a city and not dynamite the rocks. What city in 2021 left jagged rocks in the middle of their city (unless its in a park)?
Id rather go pure future industrial or go to a future blends with nature view.
I think in this imaginary world it would make sense that future peoples would leave the rocks and build around them. It's more environmentally friendly (and futuristic) to work with nature than against it.

But why do they only exist at the entrance and no where else in the land? I'd say either scrap them (my preference) or lean in and make them a feature throughout. Including more trees or other natural features should be a part of that as well.

MrPromey

its cool at night from the astro orbiter or people mover.. outside of that i dont even notice the architecture, which is sad compared to everything else disney.

I wouldnt even mind seeing led ribbon boards or ad boards for fictitious companies (maybe they talk to you... hey you in the yellow hat buy some Astro juice) or use the magic band.. (hey richard have you been to mars lately)
and then on the ribbon leds have fictitious news or even ride times, or disney history

Love this idea (sort of a take on stuff they've gone with in movies like Blade Runner, 5th Element, etc.) but the reality is, it wouldn't age well because Disney wouldn't be bothered to update any of it. Seeing all that stuff for the first time would be awesome. Seeing it all exactly the same 15 years later on your 15+ plus visit back but with parts not working correctly anymore wouldn't be.

If they could be bothered to keep up with the maintenance and design it so that the content could be easily updated and start out with a large basic catalog of stuff so it wasn't an instant and obvious loop and then swapping some of it out from time-to-time (maybe annually) so it didn't immediately go stale with people knowing it all before it's even said or seen, it would be great, though!

None of this would be hard or expensive. Even I could probably get something working with an updatable interface using a few arduino boards and I'm sure they could have their existing bloggers pump out enough Disney-approved content during down time to keep it going indefinitely... but they won't. :confused:

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom