News Tomorrowland love

Missing20K

Oh, small steps absolutely. But let's not sell kids on falsehoods...we need to encourage them to seek the truth, not believe whatever is thrown at them.
What falsehood? Electric cars have, unequivocally, a better carbon footprint than a gasoline or diesel vehicle. Well to wheel carbon emissions are far, far less for electric cars than conventional.

Electric Car Myth Buster — Well-To-Wheel Emissions

Otherwise, yes, children today need to learn how to research and think critically moreso than ever before.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

What falsehood? Electric cars have, unequivocally, a better carbon footprint than a gasoline or diesel vehicle. Wheel to wheel carbon emissions are far, far less for electric cars than conventional.

Electric Car Myth Buster — Well-To-Wheel Emissions

Otherwise, yes, children today need to learn how to research and think critically moreso than ever before.
The falsehood that electric cars are more green than they really are. Carbon emissions may be far less than conventional, but what about the environmental effects of BUILDING the electric cars? That's why I asked about the black sludge lake in China.

trainplane3

I'm not a fan of what the Electrek site said: "get them into all electric cars while they're young"...aren't the batteries for electric cars contributors to that lake of black sludge in China? Even if they aren't, almost everything I've read says that "green" cars aren't as green as people like to think.
Every piece of tech we buy is a contributor to that lake, not only cars. If there's anything to feel guilty about then it's buying a new phone every other year, a new computer, etc.

The only reason why I dread electric cars is the death of manuals and no more "fun" noises coming out of cars. They may be faster (acceleration wise right now) but some of the joy of driving is going to die off.

ImperfectPixie

Every piece of tech we buy is a contributor to that lake, not only cars. If there's anything to feel guilty about then it's buying a new phone every other year, a new computer, etc.

The only reason why I dread electric cars is the death of manuals and no more "fun" noises coming out of cars. They may be faster (acceleration wise right now) but some of the joy of driving is going to die off.
Oh, I'm well aware of that. We only buy new tech when we absolutely have to (I upgraded from an iPhone 5c not too long ago and made sure the new one had enough storage so I won't need another upgrade for a long time, and we pass down older models in our family whenever possible...we're still running a couple of iPad 2s). This all goes back to what I said earlier - we're going to get to a point where we're going to have to force companies to absorb some of the costs of cleaning up after their production messes and their packaging/consumer products.

I'm right there with ya on the cars...I'm hoping I can still snag something with some guts once my truck is done. (Yep, I'll be the mom with tattoos driving a muscle car.) I'm currently driving a 2002 F150 that still gets decent gas mileage (for a truck) and passes inspections...and I'll drive it until the wheels fall off.

ImperfectPixie

Shall I assume you didn't read the article I linked?
Sorry...was trying to get my boys ready to go out. I did give it a quick read just now though, and I hope what they say is true...it would have been nice if they linked to some sources - which is another part of the problem...there are too many sites/businesses out there touting "green" and "natural" that have ulterior motives, just like the car manufacturers and gas companies.

trainplane3

Oh, I'm well aware of that. We only buy new tech when we absolutely have to (I upgraded from an iPhone 5c not too long ago and made sure the new one had enough storage so I won't need another upgrade for a long time, and we pass down older models in our family whenever possible...we're still running a couple of iPad 2s). This all goes back to what I said earlier - we're going to get to a point where we're going to have to force companies to absorb some of the costs of cleaning up after their production messes and their packaging/consumer products.

I'm right there with ya on the cars...I'm hoping I can still snag something with some guts once my truck is done. (Yep, I'll be the mom with tattoos driving a muscle car.) I'm currently driving a 2002 F150 that still gets decent gas mileage (for a truck) and passes inspections...and I'll drive it until the wheels fall off.
I'm beyond guilty of contributing to it. I'm a techie so I need the latest and greatest of nearly everything.

Sadly nothing will change until some cracks the whip on it and I'm sure China will be one of the last to enforce it regardless of how many articles come out about how "green" they're going. I agree though, something needs done regardless.

I'm running about in a 2009 HHR (good commuter/hauler) and a 2017 Focus RS. The salesperson tried upselling me on the fact it has "auto stop-start". Dude, its a 350hp Focus that takes premium and gets maybe 25mpg. I think that's the last thing I care about. It's also good about making me forget it shuts off, causing me to stall so it's the first button I press when starting it.

I do think that's enough of the "keep earth green" stuff for this thread. How about a brighter, more beautiful TL coming at the end of...one of these days?

ImperfectPixie

I'm beyond guilty of contributing to it. I'm a techie so I need the latest and greatest of nearly everything.

Sadly nothing will change until some cracks the whip on it and I'm sure China will be one of the last to enforce it regardless of how many articles come out about how "green" they're going. I agree though, something needs done regardless.

I'm running about in a 2009 HHR (good commuter/hauler) and a 2017 Focus RS. The salesperson tried upselling me on the fact it has "auto stop-start". Dude, its a 350hp Focus that takes premium and gets maybe 25mpg. I think that's the last thing I care about. It's also good about making me forget it shuts off, causing me to stall so it's the first button I press when starting it.

I do think that's enough of the "keep earth green" stuff for this thread. How about a brighter, more beautiful TL coming at the end of...one of these days?
Honestly, I've liked everything I've seen so far except for that area with the weird red shapes. I do think they need to simplify things though - those images someone posted recently were a too bare, but still gorgeous with the lighting (which is one of my favorite things about Tomorrowland).

WDW862

Sorry...was trying to get my boys ready to go out. I did give it a quick read just now though, and I hope what they say is true...it would have been nice if they linked to some sources - which is another part of the problem...there are too many sites/businesses out there touting "green" and "natural" that have ulterior motives, just like the car manufacturers and gas companies.

Replacing a gasoline car with an electric car is much better for the environment. But only if you replace the gasoline car at the end of its life. Replacing a perfectly good gasoline car for an electric car is worse for the environment.

ImperfectPixie

Replacing a gasoline car with an electric car is much better for the environment. But only if you replace the gasoline car at the end of its life. Replacing a perfectly good gasoline car for an electric car is worse for the environment.
Absolutely. I really dislike that society has become so eager to just "throw it out and get a new one".

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
What falsehood? Electric cars have, unequivocally, a better carbon footprint than a gasoline or diesel vehicle. Well to wheel carbon emissions are far, far less for electric cars than conventional.
Does that include the self-immolating versions...?

HiJe

Uh, no, I don't. 😜 Comes across as obnoxious and unstable to me -- never felt like there was a there there with him... lots of fantasies but as of yet not a sustainable business model it seems. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I have mixed feelings on the guy too, but he did start PayPal and is worth 20 billion. 40th richest person in the world. Just saying, he's had some stable business models.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom