News Tomorrowland love

jt04

The difference is Everest is still safe to run as long as the Yeti doesn't move. Further degradation of the ride structure won't happen. In SM the rails are getting worn so there will come a point ( if we're already not there - another discussion) that says they will have to rebuild sooner or later as long as we want to keep operating SM.

My bet is they will go with a single track. The tech has really evolved the last 5 years or so as seen with slinky dog and 7D mine train.

Tron will definitely skew less family accessible due to height requirements of the system. I expect Space Mountain to become more like slinky/mine train. Very family friendly but also fun for older guests.

And with much better visual effects than is now the case. Or was possible several years ago. IMO.

Timothy_Q

My bet is they will go with a single track. The tech has really evolved the last 5 years or so as seen with slinky dog and 7D mine train.

Tron will definitely skew less family accessible due to height requirements of the system. I expect Space Mountain to become more like slinky/mine train. Very family friendly but also fun for older guests.

And with much better visual effects than is now the case. Or was possible several years ago. IMO.
Do you ever say anything that isn’t complete nonsense

Kman101

The difference is Everest is still safe to run as long as the Yeti doesn't move. Further degradation of the ride structure won't happen. In SM the rails are getting worn so there will come a point ( if we're already not there - another discussion) that says they will have to rebuild sooner or later as long as we want to keep operating SM.

Oh I know. I was just pointing out that Tron opening doesn't mean SM will have any sort of refurb. Just like folks thinking Avatar Land adding capacity to the park.

Of course you are right and there is a safety issue regarding SM that they can't keep ignoring. Different circumstances for both, of course, the only point I was trying to make was that one doesn't necessarily mean the other goes down, though it should. I don't think we've yet to hear that is even in the plans. But I hope it is.

And I think the Everest thing was more fan wishing and hopeful dreaming than reality. Like you said, different circumstances should mean SM goes down after Tron, but I doubt that was their line of thinking in adding TRON. I'm sure it probably factored into it, but do they think that far or deeply?

jt04

And the existing one is double track. No reason to change that and cut capacity in half.

As it's been said, the cancelled rebuilt project was gonna keep the exact same layout

With new launch tech and larger capacity ride vehicles I think they could come close to matching current capacity with a single track. Slinky dog is incredibly efficient.

Brad Bishop

What you're describing is a completely different ride.

It is, but if you have to replace the track, anyway, it starts to make sense.

Billboards with: "Space Mountain: Now with a new track"
- aren't going to bring anyone in. In fact, the way I initially read what jt04 wrote was, "Shut down one of the two tracks in SM," which I could totally see them doing to save on costs. Space Mountain isn't new and doesn't have the lines it did in the 1970s.

However, if you're going to gut the entire thing now you have this empty shell of a building built for a coaster AND you have technology 40 years from when you started which could fit... AND it's a dark ride so you don't have to spend money on props. You can advertise that on billboards as, "The NEW Space Mountain," or "Space Mountain: v2.0," or something else. That lets you get a "new ride" for cheap but it's based on it being absolutely, 100% necessary to replace the existing track AND wanting to buy something more than a sturdy wild mouse duplicate.

I could actually see them doing that. I'm not saying they will, but it'd make more sense than just replacing the track with an exact duplicate and advertising, "Space Mountain: More of the same!"

Timothy_Q

It is, but if you have to replace the track, anyway, it starts to make sense.

Billboards with: "Space Mountain: Now with a new track"
- aren't going to bring anyone in. In fact, the way I initially read what jt04 wrote was, "Shut down one of the two tracks in SM," which I could totally see them doing to save on costs. Space Mountain isn't new and doesn't have the lines it did in the 1970s.

However, if you're going to gut the entire thing now you have this empty shell of a building built for a coaster AND you have technology 40 years from when you started which could fit... AND it's a dark ride so you don't have to spend money on props. You can advertise that on billboards as, "The NEW Space Mountain," or "Space Mountain: v2.0," or something else. That lets you get a "new ride" for cheap but it's based on it being absolutely, 100% necessary to replace the existing track AND wanting to buy something more than a sturdy wild mouse duplicate.

I could actually see them doing that. I'm not saying they will, but it'd make more sense than just replacing the track with an exact duplicate and advertising, "Space Mountain: More of the same!"
Sure it's a fun idea for armchair imagineering.

Not to be presented as the next logical thing Disney is planning. As JT always does

Brad Bishop

After seeing some of the reports of the random pastel paint, I'm wondering if @marni1971 knows what the end goal is here. Seemed like there was optimism towards Tomorrowland, but this seems kind of random and unorganized.

I think the reality for the Tomorrowland makeover is going to be:
  • Tron
  • Paint
  • Stitch's Empty Building

Even the 1994 revamp was never completed and this has been going on for 2 years now and, so far, we've gotten the Purple Wall out of it (and Stitch's Empty Building).

I actually think Epcot's Future World remake is going to end up much the same:
  • new entrance (no more grieving at the tombstones) - planters with nice flowers and a working fountain
  • GotG over in Ellen's Old Adventure
  • Some more shuffling of the festivals so that they can fit more in. I could even see them doing a "Non-festival Festival" where the excitement is that there are no kiosks to walk around.

...and that's where it'll sort of fizzle out. 2021 will come and go and once it's gone there's no reason to revamp the parks any longer for another 20 years. You'll get an odd, IP-based attraction (because non-IP based attractions can no longer be built) and that'll be it.

Really look at what realistically could be done in the next 1.5ish years. That's what they're working on now and flowers and paint. They're not going to be working on much during the 18months of the 50th and won't have a reason to start on anything after because the 50th will be in their rear-view mirror so there's no reason to start something else.

Purduevian

I do kind of wonder what if they used the sameish layout but had the coasters be double the width (2 across). Seems like an extremely cheap and easy way to increase MK capacity.

Movielover

I do kind of wonder what if they used the sameish layout but had the coasters be double the width (2 across). Seems like an extremely cheap and easy way to increase MK capacity.

Its a nifty idea but you might run into some problems with clearance between the riders and structure.

trainplane3

Looking at this new picture from @wdwmagic, it seems like we're getting another pattern on the building.
Tomorrowland_Full_34999.jpg

Random question: Those "metal" TTA supports at the entrance to the land are going to get changed back to the original retro white ones, right @marni1971?

180º

Remember that the Tomorrowland movie came out in 2011 so as a movie it was in the works by 2009. Some backend thinking probably along the lines of "we should hold off the refurb a of Space Mtn bit and wrap it into the eventual Tomorrow Land redo" that never happened when the movie tanked.
Interesting point, but you’re way off on Tomorrowland’s release year, which was 2015. I’m not so sure it was in the works in 2009.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom