• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Tomorrowland love

Janir

You know, I wonder if TomorrowLand didn't get the love it needed when the movie bombed out, thus robbing Disney (Iger) of a movie IP to redo the land around. Now they just don't know what to do since its harder to move some IP in there that doesn't just become Toy Story - Space Rangers & Tron Land.
Another failing of only resorting to IP for attractions and not getting bold with something new.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Advertisement
You know, I wonder if TomorrowLand didn't get the love it needed when the movie bombed out, thus robbing Disney (Iger) of a movie IP to redo the land around. Now they just don't know what to do since its harder to move some IP in there that doesn't just become Toy Story - Space Rangers & Tron Land.
Another failing of only resorting to IP for attractions and not getting bold with something new.
Blindly bashing IP qua IP is silly. If something fits aesthetically and thematically, there's nothing wrong it.

Monsters, Inc.... doesn't really fit in Tomorrowland. TRON, on the other hand, is exactly perfect.

Janir

Blindly bashing IP qua IP is silly. If something fits aesthetically and thematically, there's nothing wrong it.

Monsters, Inc.... doesn't really fit in Tomorrowland. TRON, on the other hand, is exactly perfect.
I'm not bashing IP in general. In fact I completely agree with you of the IP fits, us it! Heck make some more IP and make ti fit works for me as well. I wouldn't mind seeing them try something new that WASN'T established IP movie/TV, just something new and different. If it became IP, that would be awesome. (Pirates as example)
I totally understand how that is in today's world a very pricey objective, but so was DLR in general.

Kman101

I'd just like to hear actual plans (I'm impatient; and yes I know D23 is coming). They seem to just close things (Stitch) and then fumble trying to figure out what to put there, and then they paint a lot of things. But what's the rhyme and reason? Do they have an ACTUAL plan? That's been one of my biggest problems. It all feels thrown together at times. Like, what's the goal with the orange creamsicle and white on the restrooms? Not complaining, but it all just feels so random (even if it's not). Anyone else feeling this way?

Other parks get their plans laid out. We're left kind of guessing what's going on.

trainplane3

I love Space Mountain the way it is- especially the lift section with the old school props and lighting, and am glad it hasn't changed. To me, it feels more realistic than the obviously CGI ceiling in the loading area and the pixelated screens in the queue.
The thing is, the coaster itself is nearing the end of its lifetime and should've been rebuilt back in 2009. I'm all for the retro stylization of it but replace the tracks, supports, and trains. The props should stay (and were supposed to back when it was supposed to happen) and the addition of a in-car soundtrack would've been added instead of the Crappy-o-phonic sound system that works when it feels like it right now.

I find it funny how the one major change to the queue was reverted recently. All of that work to just dump it in the end.

I love the aesthetic of WDW's SM, but it needs love because right now it looks (and rides) bad. Hilariously enough, the version they ran at Halloween without any lighting was more enjoyable because there wasn't any light-bleed anywhere and they just had some random song blaring over the speakers. You couldn't see the flaws with it anymore.

something something track welding fixes on a regular basis too

Epcot82Guy

Private Lee Lemon invites you into the test chamber. Zap Branningan has to leave to get some very sensual paperwork as a highly annoyed bending unit is left at the controls. The test subject, Philip J. Fry, is told not to bring metal into the test tube. Asking if a fork is made of metal, the tube accidentally intercepts Lrr of Omicron Persei 8 who threatens the audience. He and Lee Lemon (now out of disguise) fight in the dark until Dr. Farnsworth is able to fling Lrr back into space with his new and improved Fing-Longer. At the show closes, Bender (made entirely of metal), enters the tube which closes just before he explodes with a "Bite My Shiny Metal..."

Hermes then demands you leave to drive maximum efficiency in show operations - as the true bureaucrat he is.

MattFrees71

The thing is, the coaster itself is nearing the end of its lifetime and should've been rebuilt back in 2009. I'm all for the retro stylization of it but replace the tracks, supports, and trains. The props should stay (and were supposed to back when it was supposed to happen) and the addition of a in-car soundtrack would've been added instead of the Crappy-o-phonic sound system that works when it feels like it right now.

I find it funny how the one major change to the queue was reverted recently. All of that work to just dump it in the end.

I love the aesthetic of WDW's SM, but it needs love because right now it looks (and rides) bad. Hilariously enough, the version they ran at Halloween without any lighting was more enjoyable because there wasn't any light-bleed anywhere and they just had some random song blaring over the speakers. You couldn't see the flaws with it anymore.

When I went on it recently, I was thinking to myself at how well they utilized all the space for the track- I don't think it can be configured much better than it is. I'm enjoying it the way it is as much as I can now. I recognize that I may be in the minority of people who like the retro 70's space feel it still has. I hope it doesn't get majorly altered anytime soon (and am happy that as far as I've seen no such indication has been made).

Epcot82Guy

When I went on it recently, I was thinking to myself at how well they utilized all the space for the track- I don't think it can be configured much better than it is. I'm enjoying it the way it is as much as I can now. I recognize that I may be in the minority of people who like the retro 70's space feel it still has. I hope it doesn't get majorly altered anytime soon (and am happy that as far as I've seen no such indication has been made).
I'm there with you. I can be an admitted coaster snob for roughness, but I really appreciate the WDW Space Mountain. I really like the ambient soundtrack, since it doesn't "give away" the ride. You feel a bit more out of control. I'm all for a rebuild, but I wish it was a rebuild of the current track with a similar feel to its current state vs. changing the ride. Especially with a similar ride going next door with an on-ride sound track.

Janir

I wonder if Disney Parkas is pushing off the SM rebuild until AFTER Tron is done. To take its 'place' in attractions for a while?

trainplane3

Again, the plan wasn't to change the layout but to only replace what was there with the same exact layout. It's less of a "change because we can" and more of a "let's avoid another DL Big Thunder Mountain situation". The coaster is trimmed to all hell at this point .

If the original plan happened you would have exactly the same coaster plus on board soundtrack and working effects, the aesthetic would be the same as well (the great 70s scifi/space feel). Everything else would've been exactly the same as you just rode.

Remember, DL's SM closed unexpectedly due to an unexpected failure that morning. WDWs SM is running on bandaids at this point.

raymusiccity

Again, the plan wasn't to change the layout but to only replace what was there with the same exact layout. It's less of a "change because we can" and more of a "let's avoid another DL Big Thunder Mountain situation". The coaster is trimmed to all hell at this point .

If the original plan happened you would have exactly the same coaster plus on board soundtrack and working effects, the aesthetic would be the same as well (the great 70s scifi/space feel). Everything else would've been exactly the same as you just rode.

Remember, DL's SM closed unexpectedly due to an unexpected failure that morning. WDWs SM is running on bandaids at this point.
With the pile of cash Disney is sitting on, let's go big or go home !! It's time to dust off the original plans and bring Space Mountain up to it's intended glory!

Top Bottom