News Tomorrowland love

gustaftp

I know this is a crazy idea, but what if they turned the speedway into a flying car ride? The cars wouldn’t actually fly of course, it would be a simulated flight, and part dark ride too, through Tomorrowland. The big twist would be that the simulation portion would have real-time footage (with backup stock footage pending issues) to make the effect more convincing. And if they could also get the cars to appear digitally to guests...man that would be an amazing effect for the land!
As a kid, the Speedway and Autopia were really special to me because I got to DRIVE A REAL CAR! That is a momentous event to a child. Could the ride use new vehicles and new theming? Most definitely. But I don't think there is a compelling reason to get rid of it.

Brer Oswald

Wait... what kind of ride hardware are we talking about here? And does this use the existing speedway footprint?
Ride hardware that doesn’t yet exist. It’s BlueSky, and far down the line. As for the footprint, maybe the load and some of the ride could take place on the current Speedway footprint, but I’d envision it could travel through the land by Tunnel.
Six flying car spinners.
:hilarious:

Brer Oswald

As a kid, the Speedway and Autopia were really special to me because I got to DRIVE A REAL CAR! That is a momentous event to a child. Could the ride use new vehicles and new theming? Most definitely. But I don't think there is a compelling reason to get rid of it.
The premise is still there, but why can’t it be completely changed to wow parents and kids alike. When Autopia opened, it still had some futuristic ideas. Although the concept of the land seems to be going back to retro future, everything in Tomorrowland still should feature unrealistic and unique ideas. What’s the one thing from retro future that’s missing? FLYING CARS! ;)

_caleb

What’s the one thing from retro future that’s missing? FLYING CARS! ;)
I was going to say jetpacks.
fa30a236d44c528c53383ff373e84d17--retro-disney-jetpack.jpg

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
Disney should get Tesla to sponsor the Speedway and upgrade the cars to electric with Tron Style glowing lights on the side. Upgrade the landscaping with a few show scenes. Boom! Quiet, less pollution, and awesome at nighttime.

I'm taking the less is less Disney approach...

brihow

I might be in the minority - but other than the Carousel of Progress, I don't like the new painted patterns. I think they look busy and remind me of the expression "Putting lipstick on a pig". Looks like a cheap way to try to revamp TL when in reality it needs a total makeover.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Magnets probably ain't happin'n. Too expensive and too dangerous for persons with pacemakers and whatnots. Air works, but it's noisy. I guess a more practical design would just make the vehicle look suspended using a smaller elevated undercarriage and using the vehicle's body design to hide the mechanics. A cross between an EMV and LPS would be ideal. But the same could be achieved with a slotcar-like system.

Last edited:

_caleb

Magnets probably ain't happin'n. Too expensive and too dangerous for persons with pacemakers and whatnots. Air works, but it's noisy. I guess a more practical design would just make the vehicle look suspended using a smaller elevated undercarriage and using the vehicle's body design to hide the mechanics. A cross between an EMV and LPS would be ideal. But the same could be achieved with a slotcar-like system.
Great idea. A slot car system would be a good way to achieve the effect!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Disney should get Tesla to sponsor the Speedway and upgrade the cars to electric with Tron Style glowing lights on the side. Upgrade the landscaping with a few show scenes. Boom! Quiet, less pollution, and awesome at nighttime.

I'm taking the less is less Disney approach...
The speedway is already over crowded most of the time as a ride that mostly appeals just to kids. Make it too good and it would be a capacity nightmare. And beyond adding more tracks which I don't believe there's room for, it's almost impossible to raise capacity because the slow down happens at load/unload.

This is a ride system that is just virtually impossible to make work in a modern theme park. It needs to be updated to fit thematically/visually with tomorrowland. And electric cars would be good for noise/smell. But going as far as show scenes and lighting effects will just make the waits worse than they already are

Timothy_Q

I might be in the minority - but other than the Carousel of Progress, I don't like the new painted patterns. I think they look busy and remind me of the expression "Putting lipstick on a pig". Looks like a cheap way to try to revamp TL when in reality it needs a total makeover.
Agreed.

Especially since the 3 different paint jobs we’ve seen so far feel totally disconnected from each other

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom