News Tomorrowland love

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
This thread started off 4 years ago saying that there was a push to get the land fixed up and working again, when did it change from that to half ripping out 94 elements to the mess we have now?

Based on photos within this thread... I'd assume about 2ish years ago things went sideways and again a few months ago due to Covid.

Now it's just a scramble to finish what they started. Truly sad. Even what they did accomplish seems rather pointless. Although the real kicker here is that I'm sure they probably paid about 3-4x what they should have considering the end result is mostly white paint and reworked supports that look only marginally better than Tomorrowland's previous aesthetic. Best intentions and all. Maybe in another 10 years we'll get those attraction refreshes and a more coherent, unified refresh.

(a bit salty about this one but it's not done yet I guess)

I will give a spec of hope though: WDI has been picking up some of their half-done projects (the castle was their project before the pandemic), so hopefully they will do the same with this

Let's hope.

Last edited:

castlecake2.0

Based on photos within this thread... I'd assume about 2ish years ago things went sideways and again a few months ago due to Covid.

Now it's just a scramble to finish what they started. Truly sad. Even what they did accomplish seems rather pointless. Although the real kicker here is that I'm sure they probably paid about 3-4x what they should have considering the end result is mostly white paint and reworked supports that look only marginally better than Tomorrowland's previous aesthetic. Best intentions and all. Maybe in another 10 years we'll get those attraction refreshes and a more coherent, unified refresh.

Let's hope.
I totally agree with you, pointless is the best way to describe it, the 94 version may not have been everyones favourite, but I wish they would have spent the last 4 years getting that version up to standard rather then rip half it out and cover the other half in white paint.

CaptainAmerica

Let's hope.
How long had Disneyland's Tomorrowland been an absolute disaster?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Would love to hear your ideal tomorrowland vision for Disneyland. Would you keep the subs?
Of course. New attraction in the carousel building. Take back the M2M building for an attraction. Reopen the QSR where the SM entrance now is. Re route the SM entrance through the old Starcade (imagine there being room already for an up ramp) move the Orbitron back upstairs. Work on the traffic patterns.

And put something meaningful and original on the Peoplemover track.

rct247

They really had an amazing opportunity to turn Tomorrowland '94, the futuristic alien city that never was, into a digital city focusing on the internet, video games, computers, and virtual reality. Properties like Tron, Wreck-It Ralph, and even Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin would all fit. Cyberspace Mountain, anyone? Many of the '94 elements could still have remained to a degree with updated painting and lighting. Disney's response to Nintendoland.

But, they didn't hire me...

Last edited:

JoeCamel

They really had an amazing opportunity to turn Tomorrowland '94, the futuristic alien city that never was, into a digital city focusing on the internet, video games, computers, and virtual reality. Properties like Tron, Wreck-It Ralph, and even Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin would all fit. Cyberspace Mountain, anyone? Many of the '94 elements could still have remained to a degree with updated painting and lighting. Disney's response to Nintendoland.

But, they didn't hire me...
They deferred all that to Epcot and let the MK sit

_caleb

The “futuristic city” theme only works if there’s a consistent storyline and all the rides roughly fit that story. IP ruins it.

Rather than one coherent theme for the entire land, it would make sense to do a mixture, like Adventureland or Frontierland does. This way, updates would be sectional (rather than land-wide), and they’d have a lot more flexibility rather than having to strictly adhere to a single ascetic. Of course, doing it this way would make the transitions much more important.

Also, why doesn’t Tomorrowland have unique, “futuristic” food options. In Disney’s best vision of the future, we all eat pizza, hot dogs, and french fries?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom