News Tomorrowland love

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Now we need an IP theme for Space Mountain (maybe based on The Black Hole*) and we can consider Tomorrowland as fully transitioned to Futuristic Movie IP Land.

*"Anything that crosses its border enters a universe of the complete unknown. A story of robots and humanoids, human genius and madness, and a spectacular descent into nature's ultimate mystery – The Black Hole. "

UNCgolf

Now we need an IP theme for Space Mountain (maybe based on The Black Hole*) and we can consider Tomorrowland as fully transitioned to Futuristic Movie IP Land.

*"Anything that crosses its border enters a universe of the complete unknown. A story of robots and humanoids, human genius and madness, and a spectacular descent into nature's ultimate mystery – The Black Hole. "

Buzz Lightyear is a pretty big stretch for that theme too.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Tommorowland needs a new direction. Shift it's attractions and themes to focus on all things "time travel, interdimensional travel, planetary travel" a thesis of science fiction exploration of new worlds, past and future destinations and the experiences to be had visiting them. I think Disney needs to develop Tomorrowland as a Sci-Fi Terminal.

And maybe they can revisit A.E. and Timekeeper. As for an aesthetic, I think a take on Valve's Portal game visuals would be a good starting point with a little WALL-E thrown in for good measure.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Tommorowland needs a new direction. Shift it's attractions and themes to focus on all things "time travel, interdimensional travel, planetary travel" a thesis of science fiction exploration of new worlds, past and future destinations and the experiences to be had visiting them. I think Disney needs to develop Tomorrowland as a Sci-Fi Terminal.

And maybe they can revisit A.E. and Timekeeper. As for an aesthetic, I think a take on Valve's Portal game visuals would be a good starting point with a little WALL-E thrown in for good measure.
WALL-E would fit in the Two Holes of Stitch.

Bocabear

I remember crazy lines for AE...and I remember thinking it was amazing and a lot of fun... as did everyone else I saw coming out of it years ago. There were warning signs EVERYWHERE!...even in the extended outdoor queue which they really needed because it was so popular... Seems like it was a few years down the road before people started ignoring the signs and taking their toddlers in...
It would have been a beautiful fit in DHS.
Ay this point I am OK with Buzz Lightyear, but really think MILF should be in DHS. Completely wrong theming for Tomorrowland ...cute show though...just somewhere else.

Rich Brownn

I hope they learned their lesson with both of these attractions. The Timekeeper was Circle-Vision 360° show that required guests to stand. As a result, the show had very low attendance. Guests don't enjoy standing for shows. But certainly The Timekeeper was far and away better than MILF. But even CoP is better than MILF. I can only think of one attraction that is worse than MILF. That would be CBJ.

Alien Encounter was good but the warnings were poor. I thought it rather funny to see countless children traumatized by that show as they exited screaming with tears of terror in their eyes. Then the moms would darn near pull their child's arm out of its socket as they quickly dragged their screaming youngster to guest relations to complain. Those were the days.
There were warning signs every 5 feet in the queue warning of darkness, noises, terrifying sounds etc. If mommy wanted to believe :It's disney, it won't be that scary" no sign is going to stop them. Had i been in any other park (even Disneyland) it would have been a hit. But our MK has the "kiddie park" reputation.

Bocabear

I hope they learned their lesson with both of these attractions. The Timekeeper was Circle-Vision 360° show that required guests to stand. As a result, the show had very low attendance. Guests don't enjoy standing for shows. But certainly The Timekeeper was far and away better than MILF. But even CoP is better than MILF. I can only think of one attraction that is worse than MILF. That would be CBJ.

Alien Encounter was good but the warnings were poor. I thought it rather funny to see countless children traumatized by that show as they exited screaming with tears of terror in their eyes. Then the moms would darn near pull their child's arm out of its socket as they quickly dragged their screaming youngster to guest relations to complain. Those were the days.
TimeKeeper went into the old Circle Visioon Standing theater...Just like the one in China at EPCOT. It was standing because it was 360 and you had to turn around to get the full experience. It was also a great attraction and was packed for many many years... The Monsanto sponsored 360 attraction was also a wonder in it's day and had a huge attendance until it got old and stale... I don't believe that it was a bad attraction due to the standing factor./..and I am not sure how you could do a 360 experience in a sit down theater...Fact is, TimeKeeper was a great show...It was great in Disneyland Paris and the English version was as well... I wish they could bring some version of it back.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
There were warning signs every 5 feet in the queue warning of darkness, noises, terrifying sounds etc. If mommy wanted to believe :It's disney, it won't be that scary" no sign is going to stop them. Had i been in any other park (even Disneyland) it would have been a hit. But our MK has the "kiddie park" reputation.

Only because every 8-10 years or so they insist on doubling down on that promise.

Tomorrowland has the potential to be more grown-up, more adult/teen focused with the introduction of TRON. If there was a time to bring A.E. back (and Timekeeper too!) this would be the time to do it - as part of a rebirth of Tomorrowland. But it's all wishful thinking. MK will never be able to shed it's kiddie park identity under current management.

Last edited:

Jones14

On the subject of terrified children, I’ve seen (and traveled with) freaked out kids in line for everything from Tower of Terror to Dumbo. To a certain extent, the responsibility is on parents to pre-screen what they think is appropriate for their kids to experience, and to prepare them accordingly.

If the attraction says it’s a rollercoaster, and your kid doesn’t like rollercoasters, don’t go to Guest Relations to complain that the rollercoaster was too scary for them.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
On the subject of terrified children, I’ve seen (and traveled with) freaked out kids in line for everything from Tower of Terror to Dumbo. To a certain extent, the responsibility is on parents to pre-screen what they think is appropriate for their kids to experience, and to prepare them accordingly.

If the attraction says it’s a rollercoaster, and your kid doesn’t like rollercoasters, don’t go to Guest Relations to complain that the rollercoaster was too scary for them.
My kids FREAKED OUT at the Ariel meet and greet at 3 and 1. That was the only thing that scared them. I took my 3YO on Dinosaur (not recommended, in hindsight) and it didn't rattle him 1/20th as much as Ariel did. Tears for 10 minutes.

_caleb

I may have asked this a while back, but did all of the PeopleMover track support cladding work get done? What about any other minor refresh stuff they were doing?

Phil12

I just want to point out this statement as untrue, have you seen Pinocchio? You know the movie the company’s anthem comes from, yeah Pleasure Island is the definition of nightmare juice.

There are other examples (Snow White Runs into the woods, Mufasa falls, Bambi’s mom, etc) but Pleasure Island is the Gold Standard.
The worst thing about Pinocchio, is that he lusted after the life of an actor. So yeah, I see your point!

MrConbon

Kennedy had veto power for better or worse and that is what is needed.

George Lucas famously had a stamp he used to approve concepts as they evolved through the developmental process. He obviously couldn't handle everything involved in the movies personally but he could manage the process with that stamp.

WDI needs somebody who 'gets it' to wield such a stamp. Joe or Tony are two possibilities for example. Though I'm sure there are many. WDI needs such a leadership position. It need not stifle creativity but the process needs a more disciplined framework and visionary. The line got broken at some point. IMO.

P.S. Uni has thrown in the towel at IoA but what they are doing will work with today's audiences. At least short term. Interestingly Epic Universe seems to be returning to established rules that are proven over time. Walt would be intrigued by E.U. I think.
Uni has thrown in the towel at IOA? What is Hagrid’s and the Jurassic Park coaster?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom