News Tomorrowland love

Animaniac93-98

I'm still wondering if it's supposed to turn blue in the future. That's one thing @marni1971 mentioned like 2 years ago that I haven't forgotten for some reason. It could work with a spire covered TL.

That is the plan, but it's style and shape does not match the rest of the land. Like we've seen with the roof fins, just painting the '94 elements white or blue doesn't really make them blend with the rest of the land.

It's silly to put in 60-70% of the effort to bring back the original design, and then just stop there.

trainplane3

That is the plan, but it's style and shape does not match the rest of the land. Like we've seen with the roof fins, just painting the '94 elements white or blue doesn't really make them blend with the rest of the land.

It's silly to put in 60-70% of the effort to bring back the original design, and then just stop there.
Oh I'm not disagreeing. I'm glad it's turning back into a nice TL but I really want them to do it right, none of this half-donkey'd stuff.

And 10000% on the Star Jets.

Donaldfan1934

The fins are the only shade in all the parks!
Yeah, because it’s not like there’s another structure Disney can redirect that provides shade. Oh, wait...
6EF5AE7B-36BC-4571-8EEE-F49A3C6F91F3.jpeg

The Empress Lilly

We have "new" supports by MiLF!
Before:
July
zf5fdQf.jpg

October:
tOus0sk.jpg

After:
tomorrowland-decor-construction-peoplemover-magic-kingdom-01252020-07-1.jpg

And additional ones being worked on around the land!
tomorrowland-decor-construction-peoplemover-magic-kingdom-01252020-17-1.jpg

Now about gettings those under-track supports to be less...metal
Hey thank you for the pics! We're all dorks here who love this stuff.

The PeopleMover is really just a steel Meccano playset with some concrete cladding. It only looks like a brutalist concrete jungle edifice - of that briefly lived brave utopia of the late sixties, early seventies that was reviled for its dehumanising effect for decades afterwards and which we now would die for TL to look like again. :D

The metal track supports should be able to just get a cover at feasible cost. Any sticky plaster with a white coat of paint will do, methinks?

spa114653LARGE.jpg

PREMiERdrum

Hey thank you for the pics! We're all dorks here who love this stuff.

The PeopleMover is really just a steel Meccano playset with some concrete cladding. It only looks like a brutalist concrete jungle edifice - of that briefly lived brave utopia of the late sixties, early seventies that was reviled for its dehumanising effect for decades afterwards and which we now would die for TL to look like again. :D

The metal track supports should be able to just get a cover at feasible cost. Any sticky plaster with a white coat of paint will do, methinks?

spa114653LARGE.jpg

Oh dear.

Nothing about Tomorrowland's original Googie-inspired design is anywhere close to Brutalist.

The Empress Lilly

Oh dear.

Nothing about Tomorrowland's original Googie-inspired design is anywhere close to Brutalist.
Not really. Googie was over by the early to mid sixties. TL 71/75 is space age, mid century modern, brutalism with a human face, fantasy futurism, whatever one wishes to call it. Googie is more specific, more precise than just mid century modern. The 50s Prime Time sign is WDW's erm, 'prime' Googie example. DL TL had a lot of Googie influences.

Frivolous 50s Googie vs. the stern 70s Tomorrowland:

wdw_1977_11.jpg
1_V5vrlnYa3LGQNsI4jhP_GA.jpeg.jpg

PREMiERdrum

Not really. Googie was over by the early to mid sixties. TL 71/75 is space age, mid century modern, brutalism with a human face, fantasy futurism, whatever one wishes to call it. Googie is more specific, more precise than just mid century modern. The 50s Prime Time sign is WDW's erm, 'prime' Googie example. DL TL had a lot of Googie influences.

Frivolous 50s Googie vs. the stern 70s Tomorrowland:

As we drift off topic...

Nothing in Tomorrowland represents the over-scaled, heavy concrete, geometric forces that embody Brutalism. Even the former entrance spires - despite their mass - have far too much of a soft taper and opposing organic curves to really fit into the brutalist style.

Tomorrowland's pre-1994 architecture is squarely Googie / space age modern, with supportive shapes conveying motion and planar surfaces avoiding harsh lines and 90-degree angles.

Tall and concrete =/= Brutalist.

britain

I give you... Boston City Hall, AKA Brutalism!

1580163924254.png

The difference between the 50's Googie architecture and the 70's space age architecture is found in the connective tissue. There's more organic smoothing out of the edges in the 70's forms. More whimsical knobbery in the 50's. But they are more akin to a single aesthetic that evolved over time than two competing aesthetics.

Last edited:

PREMiERdrum

I give you... Boston City Hall, AKA Brutalism!

View attachment 444612

Thank you!

Brutalism - especially in America - became quite popular for civic architecture and power centers (business HQs)... with the strong, overpowering scale and fortress-like appearances representing the muscle and might of the tenants. TL's scale manages to stay quite human and organic, with ornamental architecture suggesting motion and agility.

britain

Well we shall have to disagree. :)

Is the classic TWA JFK Terminal an example of googie? If yes, then I could say so is WDW's classic Tomorrowland.

1580166120602.png

But if googie is more the domain of bowling alley signage and rollerskate drive-ins, then no.

Last edited:

Magicart87

HOUSE ☪F MAGIC Member
Premium Member
Is the classic TWA JFK Terminal an example of googie? If yes, then I could say so is WDW's classic Tomorrowland.

View attachment 444615

But if googie is more the domain of bowling alleys signage and rollerskate drive-ins, then no.

Ah yes, Googie by way of Google aka Neo Futuristic.

This is Tomorrowland or what it should be, IMO. WDI should strive for Neo-Futuristic designs with subtle Googie adornments and accents. For a fun transitional area possibly go full-on Googie (like The Jetsons) nearer to Fantasyland.

And then there's TRON, an outlier attraction that could either work to bridge the themes together or dilute any chances of achieving a unified aesthetic if WDI forks it up. Although, I'm actually hopeful WDI can pull it off given that TRON's hanger roof is somewhat Neo-Futuristic in design. They're getting closer to a unified aesthetic but Tomorrowland is STILL all over the place.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom