• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Tomorrowland love

HonorableMention

On r/Defunctland a "study guide" for alien encounter was posted and it confirms that the light effect is in fact a cast member.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Defunctland/comments/aeim38 I mean, not that there was much debate about it, but it's nice to have a confirmation.
That poster also has the guides for Timekeeper, Horizons, and a few others. It’s been a while but they said they’d be posting them in the future, so be on the lookout

Zootopia Dude

Advertisement
So with Wreck-It Ralph looking to be one of the main three IP's in the new Play Pavilion, I guess that officially kills off WiR taking over Stitch?

Monorail_Red_77

Gone for good or temporary?
I personally lean to gone for good but they could modify it to fit new the new direction of TL.
I say it’s gone for good.
Here’s my pic from Feb 9th.
They have changed the concrete to match the surrounding concrete and installed an electrical access box. For a while it was just a black spot or cover.

And here is the phone booth area. It too has an electrical box installed with permanent looking black cement. Possible to tie in with the black semi-circle at the bottom of the pic. My guess is that it is gone permanently as well.

Last edited:

DisneyExpert

I say it’s gone for good.
Here’s my pic from Feb 9th.
They have changed the concrete to match the surrounding concrete and installed an electrical access box. For a while it was just a black spot or cover.

View attachment 351796

And here is the phone booth area. It too has an electrical box installed with permanent looking black cement. Possible to tie in with the black semi-circle at the bottom of the pic. My guess is that it is gone permanently as well.
View attachment 351797
RIP Tomorrowland '94. A part of me is a little sad to see the old placemaking go because Tomorrowland ops was my first role at the resort over a decade ago (Stitch, TTA, and Astro at first). I had a lot of fun working all over that space port and will miss quite a lot about it, but I really can't wait to see what's in store.

marni1971

WDW History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Last edited:

FullSailDan

Given it seems to be isolated, I suspect it’s from all the foliage removal next door. It’s north west facing, so this time of year gets no sun to dry it out and is quite sheltered from the prevailing winds and rain.
Exactly, this is totally normal in FL, our grey stucco house gets green dust all over it when we cut the lawn during the spring. Sadly all the rain just makes it stickier, and does not wash it off. We have to do a quick power wash a few times a year to keep it clean.

FerretAfros

Reminds me of brown space mountain at disneyland.
It reminds me of white Space Mountain at Disneyland, which, despite being covered in a special non-stick material to make it easy to wash down, they can never seem to keep clean.

It doesn't help that it rains so infrequently and so lightly in southern California that most storms just make the dirt more apparent, rather than give it a real cleaning. As much praise as DLR often gets for maintenance, this has been a well-known issue for years

I was one of the few that actually liked Bronze Space Mountain.
Me too. I can understand why such a drastic change wasn't as popular with everybody, but I appreciate that they were taking a risk with something new and different, and it looked great with the land as a whole, which added new "weenies" that were intended to dominate the view instead. For all of TL98's problems, they did a good job stretching the budget as far as it would go to make the most impact. It's quite a different design philosophy than the constantly self-referential and ludicrously expensive designs we get today.

tirian

It reminds me of white Space Mountain at Disneyland, which, despite being covered in a special non-stick material to make it easy to wash down, they can never seem to keep clean.

It doesn't help that it rains so infrequently and so lightly in southern California that most storms just make the dirt more apparent, rather than give it a real cleaning. As much praise as DLR often gets for maintenance, this has been a well-known issue for years

Me too. I can understand why such a drastic change wasn't as popular with everybody, but I appreciate that they were taking a risk with something new and different, and it looked great with the land as a whole, which added new "weenies" that were intended to dominate the view instead. For all of TL98's problems, they did a good job stretching the budget as far as it would go to make the most impact. It's quite a different design philosophy than the constantly self-referential and ludicrously expensive designs we get today.
Although I disagree about the nasty brown mountain, you’re right about the “self-referential and ludicrously expensive designs.”

This IS on topic, and I realize it might not be a popular opinion. Please bear with me.

I love the theme parks and much of the company’s creative output, but the Internet has fed an unhealthy obsession with Disney lifestyling; and it feels too slick now that the company has picked it up too.

When fans held their own Dapper Days and created their own DisneyBound outfits, those felt like genuine, nostalgic nods to the parks and their history.

Fast forward a few years, and the company itself produces countless special edition ears and dresses; WDI designs Insta-ready photo opps (including the stupid Purple Wall); and merch puts out an entire line of purple clothing and purple cupcakes to capitalize on the Purple Wall obsession. They’ve taken cute fan initiatives and turned them into cash grabs.

Now to tie this together: Tomorrowland is being renovated to look like the 1960s. I like the aesthetic, but why not do something new? Why are our two choices retro or steampunk? Why couldn’t the MK’s 1994 sci-fi vision get updated, especially since in the late ‘90s, it was second only to Paris? Is it a weird form of self-worship, a return to a past that represents the established Brand instead of continuing to innovate? It reminds me of the topiaries Disney plans to permanently install at the Epcot entrance. Don’t they realize SSE and Epcot itself are already just as “Disney” as a Donald Duck topiary?

When we long-time fans decry the lower standards at the parks, or when we talk about how great Horizons, Journey into Imagination, and Alien Encounter were, we’re asking for a return to high creative standards and storytelling. We’re not asking to seal WDW in a time capsule.

And the TL updates feel like a fan-service time capsule rather than a vision of the future. It’s a weird, self-feeding cycle of nostalgia instead of Tomorrow.

Last edited:
Top Bottom