Tom Staggs Confirms Project of "NextGen" Nature

Wilt Dasney

I didn't see this mentioned yet:

For those guests who are really pushed for time, Disney will soon let you reserve "virtual vacations."

You book a virtual hotel room, reserve times and dates for the rides, character interactions, and meals you'd like to virtually experience, then e-mail photos of yourself and family members.

A week or so after your virtual vacation, you'll receive a CD in the mail with high-resolution photos of your family enjoying all your favorite experiences, with time and date stamps to show that you made it to each spot on time...all with no need to actually leave home and deal with the inconveniences of being in the parks.

Disney expects this will perfectly match the busy lifestyle of the modern American family...offering a vacation experience that doesn't require you to miss karate lessons, waste time in airports, or wake up and decide what to do each day.

Of course, since this system will not require guests to actually be on Disney property to experience, all virtual vacations will feature 5% off hotel, food, and park admission. (8% if you book more than 10 virtual nights on property!)

Lee

Adventurer
Eh...I'm not really a fan.

I don't mind the potential attraction implementations (like having Pooh in the ride speak to your kid by name) or hotel enhancements (characters popping up in the mirror or tv to say goodnight). That stuff is pretty cool.

But anything that leads to more regimentaion or requiring more scheduling...no thanks. (But then this is coming from a semi-local, anti-scheduler who wants to abolish the evil dining plan and cut the restaurant reservation window down to 48hrs or less.:shrug:)

GrumpyFan

This really isn't new news, to me at least, but it is pretty interesting to hear them talking about it. I uncovered a patent application last year that Disney filed that has quite a bit more detail. You can see the details here.

Don't get too excited here, but according to some of the details in the patent application, they are looking at implementing this in a tiered fashion where guests staying at a Deluxe resort might get higher priority in scheduling reservations, or perhaps more reservations in a given day than guests staying at a Moderate or Value. As for day guests and those who prefer not to schedule, they could (should) leave enough buffer in the system to allow for walk ups. In essence, this is just Fastpass 3.0 or whatever version we're up to now.

My own take on it is that based on the level of guest you are, which is based on your resort, you will be allowed x number of reservations per day. So, if you were staying in a Deluxe resort, you might be allowed to make up to 6 reservations, if you were at a Moderate you might be allowed 4 and if you were at a Value, 2. Obviously, the number would change based on park, due to the fact that Animal Kingdom doesn't have near as many attractions. Also, I could see the number being higher or lower depending on season and crowd levels. I don't see them doing this for all attractions, just the ones that currently have Fastpass, and perhaps a few more added that don't currently have it.

spaceghost

I don't think Disney should be pandering to this type of person, but that's exactly what they are doing with these 'interactive' queues.

While I agree with you on principle, the problem is that the number of people that are "this type of person" is only going to get larger. I am 35 years old. I live in somewhat rural Maine - not really high-tech HQ - and most of my peers would be guilty of doing this. Certainly as ages go younger, this gets more and more prevalent. Unfortunately, not pandering to a group of people that make up a significantly growing portion of your potential customer base is bad business.

Magenta Panther

If you get the sit-down dining plan and don't make plans months in advance, it may be difficult for you to get your money's worth out of the plan. It might be better to do a plan that has counter-service for breakfast and lunches (and I think it comes with a snack or two) and then take your chances finding somewhere good to eat dinner.

The days of "walking in" and getting a table are basically gone, I'm afraid. At least for any decent restaurant anywhere near dinnertime. :(

That sounds like very good advice. I'll take it into consideration. Thanks! :wave:

GrumpyFan

Yes, thanks to that evil, vile dining plan.:fork:

I don't think you can place all the blame on the dining plan. The crowd levels at WDW have continued to increase over the years, people have to eat, and there are just so many options available. Perhaps its time they build more restaurants and attractions to consume some of the masses of people.

aladdin2007

Yes, thanks to that evil, vile dining plan.:fork:

True, its ruined menus, prices, certain reserve times..Brown Derby for example (my personal fav) but 30 bucks and up for lunch, lunch!!!!!!!! please!!!! Dinner okay I could understand, but its shameless greed now.

spaceghost

A couple things I wanted to bring up for those people worrying about your vacations being too structured:

1. Do we think that this means Disney would add FP to attractions that currently do not have it or need it? I can't imagine Disney is going to start scheduling FPs for the treehouse or IASW.

2. Assuming the answer to #1 is "no," there are only a limited number of attractions in each park that have FP available, and for the most part, these are the attractions we are all running to to ride or get a FP for first thing in the morning. Point being, unless you are visiting in a low season, we are pretty much planning our trips around seeing these specific attractions anyway, aren't we?

3. If you are going in low season, then this shouldn't really matter anyway. Standby waits are still going to be low.

4. Assuming that this just would get you into the FP line, it shouldn't have any real impact on standby times from what they are now anyway, as long as the current operations standards for FP to standby ratios are kept consistent. Assuming that Disney does not increase the overall number of FPs available in a day, then the number of people able to use FP should not change. Its just going to cut into the number of FPs that are issued that day at the park.

That's my $.02 anyway. We'll see how it actually turns out (eventually).

I can't really wrap my head around how this would work. You would reserve a time to be at a ride - how in the world would I know that before leave my house?! Could rides sell out months in advance? Seems really complicated...does anyone have thoughts on specifics?

I agree, I don't really want to have my entire vacation mapped out. What about the people who just like to wing it and see what happens?

GrumpyFan

1. Do we think that this means Disney would add FP to attractions that currently do not have it or need it? I can't imagine Disney is going to start scheduling FPs for the treehouse or IASW.

I kind of doubt it. As you pointed out, some attractions just don't make sense.

2. Assuming the answer to #1 is "no," there are only a limited number of attractions in each park that have FP available, and for the most part, these are the attractions we are all running to to ride or get a FP for first thing in the morning. Point being, unless you are visiting in a low season, we are pretty much planning our trips around seeing these specific attractions anyway, aren't we?

Indeed. However, under this new plan, you won't have to hustle off to get a Fastpass, you will have already gotten it before arriving at the park.

3. If you are going in low season, then this shouldn't really matter anyway. Standby waits are still going to be low.

Agreed.

4. Assuming that this just would get you into the FP line, it shouldn't have any real impact on standby times from what they are now anyway, as long as the current operations standards for FP to standby ratios are kept consistent. Assuming that Disney does not increase the overall number of FPs available in a day, then the number of people able to use FP should not change. Its just going to cut into the number of FPs that are issued that day at the park.

My guess is that this will more or less replace the current Fastpass system.

flavious27

This really isn't new news, to me at least, but it is pretty interesting to hear them talking about it. I uncovered a patent application last year that Disney filed that has quite a bit more detail. You can see the details here.

Based on some of the details in the patent application, they are looking at implementing this in a tiered fashion where guests staying at a Deluxe resort would get higher priority in scheduling reservations, or perhaps more reservations in a given day than guests staying at a Moderate or Value. As for day guests and those who prefer not to schedule, they could (should) leave enough buffer in the system to allow for walk ups. In essence, this is just Fastpass 3.0 or whatever version we're up to now.

My own take on it is that based on what level of guest you are, which is based on your resort, you will be allowed x number of reservations per day. So, if you were staying in a Deluxe resort, you might be allowed to make up to 6 reservations, if you were at a Moderate you might be allowed 4 and if you were at a Value, 2. Obviously, the number would change based on park, due to the fact that Animal Kingdom doesn't have near as many attractions. Also, I could see the number being higher or lower depending on season and crowd levels. I don't see them doing this for all attractions, just the ones that currently have Fastpass, and perhaps a few more added that don't currently have it.

a tiered fp system will create problems along with making the system more complex.

GrumpyFan

a tiered fp system will create problems along with making the system more complex.

Problems such as?

This is something guests are asking for, almost demanding. It's that extra something they almost expect because they're paying more. Mind you, it doesn't mean that guests staying in lesser resorts or day visitors are excluded, it just means that the higher tiered visitors get first priority or a greater selection in their reservation choices. Don't get too excited about this yet, though. I have the feeling it is going to go thru several iterations of testing before it's rolled out everywhere.

rct247

I am incredibly excited to see what NextGen all includes, how it is implemented, and how it all pans out. Fastpass was a game changer in theme parks. Look at the depth of it, how it was implemented, how competitors copied it, and how it paned out for better and for worse. NextGen will be the same way.

The thing that I am really curious with NextGen and the Fantasyland Expansion is how Magic Kingdom is going to handle the increase in visitors. Crowds seem to get worse and worse. The people of 2011 are not the same people of 1971. Strollers, ECVs, wheelchairs, and obesity has changed a lot of things. Fantasyland will be doubled, but that still doesn't answer how Main Street USA and the Hub are going to handle the influx of crowds for parades and fireworks. I'm really wondering if NextGen will have a play in that.

Having worked at Disney World, you do see all types of tourists. NextGen does seemed to be aimed at the planner, but as people are pointing out, how will that affect those who don't plan? How will it affect all the world tourists too? The U.S. may be used to this technology, but what about other countries?

There are the tourists who carry around their Unofficial Disney Guide Bibles with their SUV Hummer strollers packed with snacks and extra pairs of clothes and extra pairs of extra pairs just in case. They spend the big bucks at Pirates League and Bibbity Boppity Botique and push and shove to make sure their children get their magical moments all while dad video tapes every second and mom is planning what they will be doing at 4:25pm two days from now. But there are also tourists who will walk into Epcot and think that is Disney World and wonder why they can't find the castle. There are tourists who will not visit any attraction that is described as a show because all they want is rides. There are tourists who think they can find a spot for the parade 3 minutes before it starts. There are tourists who ask where the Fastpass machines are for the TTA Peoplemover, and finally there are tourists who visit Hollywood Studios expecting fireworks only to find Fantasmic isn't showing that night. How will NextGen affect them? They honestly haven't taken the time or seem to care that their lack of knowledge about Disney World could hinder what they get out of their vacation.

Then there will be the tourists that use the system but they use it terribly. These are the tourists that visit Hollywood Studios, get a Fastpass for Tower of Terror that has a 20 minute wait, then visit RnRC and can't get a Fastpass when it has a 45 minute wait, not to mention that by the time they get over to Toy Story Midway Mania later in their day, the Fastpasses will all be gone there.

We will see how it all goes. I'm still really excited to see just what technology will be able to do for a theme park experience.

flavious27

Problems such as?

This is something guests are asking for, almost demanding. It's that extra something they almost expect because they're paying more. Mind you, it doesn't mean that guests staying in lesser resorts or day visitors are excluded, it just means that the higher tiered visitors get first priority or a greater selection in their reservation choices. Don't get too excited about this yet, though. I have the feeling it is going to go thru several iterations of testing before it's rolled out everywhere.

Everyone is paying the same when they enter the parks, the only place that the price of a hotel room matters is back at a hotel.

GrumpyFan

Everyone is paying the same when they enter the parks, the only place that the price of a hotel room matters is back at a hotel.

Except that those paying more for their hotel room expect a little more. As stated in the patent application,
A goal of this invention is to improve the desired functionality needed to derive increased guest satisfaction, additional revenue opportunities and resort differentiation

That last part there also implies that they're looking at ways to sell this and increase revenue.

cheezbat

I'm with many of you on here...some ideas sound great...some, terrible. I for one am a spur of the moment type person, and I only go one day at a time...since I live less than an hour away, I go when I can. I don't have the time in my life to plan out a whole trip to WDW and where I'm going to eat, what i want to ride, etc. To me this aspect of it just sound ridiculous.

I for one say spend HALF of that billion plus into adding MORE ATTRACTIONS! After all, the reason they're having to do all this planning is because of all the people who visit...the more attractions and restaurants, the LESS waiting and frustrated people!

WDW1974

Sigh...

Apparently I do have something to add.

You always did, jake ... you always did ...

You know I actually missed some of the folks here during my time away ... quite a few ... but not all!:wave:

That said, I do appreciate you reading me closely. Gotta be on my best Disney-bashing tippy-toes when trying to slip some hate past you.

That said, to be fair (not that I have to). You say:

It appears you have done pretty much nothing but bash it.

I guess I wasn't entirely clear. My bad. What I should have said was that while I think it is a tremendous waste of money that will likely make some things better for some folks, but generally diminish the magic for all that parts of it are very cool and intriguing to me.

But TDO is still evil and Iger is out of touch with much of his business.

Thanks. I feel you've helped me distill my feelings much better now.:D:drevil::king:

AEfx

Personally, I don't get the griping about planning. I'm one of those weird ones who thinks planning a trip is part of the fun, but I do see that many other people don't. It's sort of how some people think driving at WDW ruins their vacation - I much prefer my own vehicle, even when staying on property, because I can get to the park entrance in much more comfort (and less germs) operating my own vehicle, and usually get there much more quickly as well. Different strokes, I guess.

That said, I guess I'm alone but I'd much rather them spend 1B on 5-10 new E-tickets than what sounds like a lot of "gee neat" usless stuff. Sure, a few things are cool - a character saying your name, or the next-gen character costumes, etc. But 90% of this sounds good on paper but will likely fizzle out, and the best of it is just minor plusses, nothing major.

For 1B, they could get a lot more bang for their buck - but since they are hell bent on making everything "interactive" instead we'll get trinkets instead of something substantial.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom