Tom Staggs Confirms Project of "NextGen" Nature

Jrn14

I agree this is just too much. The disney parks are big very big and I don't like to backtrack there is so much to see without racing all around the world trying to make kept appointments and stressing about wether you have enough time to go to the bathroom or take a picture. I mean I like fastpass, but if i'm there at an offtime I only utilize it for the big timers (Sorin, TSM) and that usually means me or another member of the group takes everyone's tickets run ahead and gets them then returns to the group so we can enjoy the park at our leisure.

I can't see this making the guest experience more enjoyable just seems it will make it more frustrating to the average guest and I don't see how it would be financially smart if guests are too worried about making appointments to linger and buy that t-shirt or grab that impulse popcorn.

I however do applaud the next gen stuff as far as waiting in line is concerned. I like the changes to the Space Mountain, Soarin, Pooh lines. I think that there should be more stuff like that introduced to the world then this OCD Planning crap...

just my two cents...

ryanduggers

What's next - having to schedule your disney transportion between parks 6 months in advance?

I don't know about other people, but I have to adhere to schedules the rest of my life, why would I want to continue that on vacation? That is what vacations are for, to get away from normal life for a few days.

We do not do free dining because of this. We like to do whatever seems good at that minute, not be held to a schedule.

We only plan one table service per trip, the rest of the time we do counter service.

stitch2008

I still don't understand what all the fuss is about with "reserving times" for attractions. From the sound of it, you don't have to do this if you dont want to. There is still going to be normal fastpass and stand by. I'd imagine you could make these reservations days in advance rather then months. Maybe even the day you visit the park if you wanted to. Plus I imagine there is going to be limits on the times you can reserve and how many of these reservations you can make in advance. And besides, who really would plan THAT far in advance. I imagine the normal resort guest would book maybe 2 or 3 of these reserved ride times and just go with the flow the rest of the day. And if you want to make changes, it could be easy. Before you leave for your stay at the resort, you could cancel a ride reservation online. And I believe in the parks, you can make dinning reservations at guest services or something. Why can't they have a location where you can go and make changes to a ride or character reservation? Or better yet, why not do it through a cell phone? If I'm not mistaken, the Disney Dream has cell phones in the state rooms for guests to use. Perhaps they could have an app for making or canceling these reservations.

capsshield

I think waiting to find out how the programing works is huge.

For instance you might say "I would like to start the day in adventureland" and the system generates a fast pass for all the attractions in that land spread out over a 2-3 hour period, or even a time period you select, but it locks you out of a fastpass for any next land for 2-3 hours. you can still go and stand in normal lines in those other lands, or you can shop eat and drink if you have time left over, which of course you will.

You pick the lands and the computer generates a window of times providing you with the shortest waits possible, the flexibility to explore that land, and you get to ride everything in that land you want to ride at least once during that period. Want to ride a ride twice use the old fast pass system later in the day and leave that period unplanned.

The computer may even tell you that you need 4 hours for tomorrow land and 3 for adventure land during August and shorten the time needed on off peak periods.

I have been to the parks at times where I waited less than 5 minutes a ride and really enjoyed myself. I wish everyone could experience the park like that, having time to shop, eat and drink, and see the shows enhances the experience.

The reason people are playing with their phones while in line is because they are bored.

Disney is tackling this problem from two directions. Try to shorten the waiting experience and make the waiting experience entertaining.

I would rather stand in the shortest line possible with something to distract me from feeling tired, bored, and overloaded from the smells of sweaty unwashed tourists, or moldy clothes, then have a thousand strangers bump and push me while I bask in their body odor. I for one would use my extra time to spend my money in the stores while eating and drinking and taking in the full experience the parks offer.

As for the people that fail to take advantage of the extra perks, too bad. Disney goes above and beyond to educate people on its fast pass programs, and other perks. I can't believe anyone going to the parks is dumb enough to not figure it out by the time they leave.

As for local residents feeling cheated, I feel cheated because I have to wait months and years to get the opportunity to go. Local residents will have to do what everyone else does, plan in advance.

Personally I hope they tie this stuff into staying on property and or for yearly pass holders. Hurt the competition where it hurts, get the tourists to stay and play at Disney for as long as you can and keep them so happy that they don't miss going to the competitors parks. This will force the competitors to do things to drive in tourists, which will force Disney to build more attractions and enhancements. No doubt that this is part of the Potter killer strategy.

GrumpyFan

What's next - having to schedule your disney transportion between parks 6 months in advance?

I don't know about other people, but I have to adhere to schedules the rest of my life, why would I want to continue that on vacation? That is what vacations are for, to get away from normal life for a few days.

We do not do free dining because of this. We like to do whatever seems good at that minute, not be held to a schedule.

We only plan one table service per trip, the rest of the time we do counter service.

There's nothing now, or even in this plan that mandates guests use it. I can't see the standby line going away. This is just another option for guests who want to plan their time while there. So, if you don't like to do this much planning, then don't.

Oddysey

The part of my nature that leans toward obsessive/compulsive is not liking the whole "make reservations for attractions before leaving your home." It is already impossible to get dining reservations at certain establishments (Canada). Imagine deciding to take a spur of the moment trip only to learn all the reservations for your favorite rides have been taken for the entire weekend.

That couldn't happen could it?

But if I told my family that not only did I have it planned out as to which parks on which days and what restaurants at what times, but also what attractions at what times, they would probably revolt! :lol:

I am not sure that is how the system would work, and I have to reserve judgment until it is implemented. However, if it does turn out this way, I certainly will have no reason to ever renew my annual pass. I dont even attempt to make dining reservations anymore, and if rides go in that same direction, my love affair with the parks would come to an end.

Pioneer Hall

It seems to me that a lot of people are getting worked up about this without any reason yet. He gave the most vague details he could in an effort to build excitement. It isn't worth getting upset and jumping to conclusions about not being able to ride something because of a small piece of news. Disney has some smart people dealing with these things, I am confident that they won't do anything that would truly impact anyone's vacation in a negative way.

tizzo

I still don't understand what all the fuss is about with "reserving times" for attractions. From the sound of it, you don't have to do this if you dont want to.

The concern is, what happens to those who don't use it if too many people do? I cited in another post my experience as a Universal passholder when they still had express pass machines in the parks. The passes for all practical purposes were not available to guests who didn't buy them, and eventually they did away with them altogether except for hotel guests and those who paid a premium on their tickets.

ryanduggers

This whole thing seems like it was thought up by one of those people who wear those "borg" devices, or who are burried in their smartphones all the time....

People like that walk around and expect YOU to get out of THEIR way because they are talking on the phone. Heaven help us if they have a stoller too...

People that would use this are like the "smug" episode of South Park.

this would just empower them more....

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
The reason people are playing with their phones while in line is because they are bored.

Disney is tackling this problem from two directions. Try to shorten the waiting experience and make the waiting experience entertaining.

I would rather stand in the shortest line possible with something to distract me from feeling tired, bored, and overloaded from the smells of sweaty unwashed tourists, or moldy clothes, then have a thousand strangers bump and push me while I bask in their body odor. I for one would use my extra time to spend my money in the stores while eating and drinking and taking in the full experience the parks offer..

I agree with you here. The interactive lines with things to do are a great idea, and will benefit everybody, not just planners. And, lo and behold, that's the part we're seeing implementation of already. Pooh, then HM, and more to follow, I'm sure. Of course there is money in it for Disney, but only in the form of more satisfied guests.

As to the phones, I would bet that some of these lines will integrate with phones. Think of a Kim Possible-type thing that uses YOUR smartphone, not a special one. A Pal Mickey kind of thing on your iPhone. Disney already has a deal with Gowalla for "check-in"s from your mobile phone. I suspect other opportunities will arise for similar things.

Personally I hope they tie this stuff into staying on property and or for yearly pass holders. Hurt the competition where it hurts, get the tourists to stay and play at Disney for as long as you can and keep them so happy that they don't miss going to the competitors parks. This will force the competitors to do things to drive in tourists, which will force Disney to build more attractions and enhancements. No doubt that this is part of the Potter killer strategy.

This, I hope not. I don't mind allowing those staying on-property a few additional perks, but the larger the difference in the park experience for those staying on-site as compared to those staying off-site, the more WDW starts to feel like class warfare, and the more the locals get shafted. I don't mind EMH, because there the on-property folks aren't getting special perks while the off-property folks have to watch, but extra fastpasses, more availability of dining ressies, etc., would, I think, start to create different classes of visitors real quick. Same reason I hate the "pay extra for fastpasses" options at other parks.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
The concern is, what happens to those who don't use it if too many people do? I cited in another post my experience as a Universal passholder when they still had express pass machines in the parks. The passes for all practical purposes were not available to guests who didn't buy them, and eventually they did away with them altogether except for hotel guests and those who paid a premium on their tickets.

This is the incredibly delicate balancing act that Disney must figure out. One place where it already plays out this way is at World of Color. To get a good viewing spot, you need to either buy a meal package or get to DCA early in the AM to get a fastpass. Arrive the afternoon without prepurchasing a meal package, and you're watching from the side or behind trees. Not so good. If the show stays this popular, Disney may need to alter the way viewing spots are handed out.

mtlott

The new Fastpass may be linked to your staying at a Disney Resort. The Fastpass may use a Geo tag to tell the Fastpass set up where you are at any given time. If you are not in the park on time. It may tell you that your fast pass in going to moved to next person. All fastpass will most likely be limited to no more then 20% of the ride line for any hour. This fastpass will fit right in with paperless park tickets.

parkgoer

my understanding is this is geared toward people with the internet (obviously) You don't necessarily have to do it at "home" since most people have smart phones today. You could do it on your phone it the hotel room. I guess if you're live in orlando this would be great. I hope they move forward with this!

Sometimes I want to go to a park for just one ride. If I get a fast pass I have to wait around for 2 hours. If this Nextgen were in effect, I could just get a time from my house then go and not have to waste time until it's time to ride.

flavious27

Except that those paying more for their hotel room expect a little more. As stated in the patent application,
A goal of this invention is to improve the desired functionality needed to derive increased guest satisfaction, additional revenue opportunities and resort differentiation

That last part there also implies that they're looking at ways to sell this and increase revenue.

And that is why there are going to be angry guests, there are already people that don't like FP now because it reduces the walk up capacity. A tiered system like this will drastically increase the wait times.

If people at GF want to see what the extra cost per night goes towards, they should spend a night at pop.

Bolna

I am wondering wether this might sound great for a lot of people, but will actually reduce their ability to enjoy their vacation. I think even now many infrequent visitors and especially first timers might even plan their trip with a lot of research. But really, how well can you plan the details of a place you don't know very well? So these guests might think how wonderful that they can reserve these times, but then once they are there, they figure out that things just don't go well together. So actually doing everything they have planned makes an already quite exhausting vacation even more stress.

Also, I think it might also set extremely high expectations which than cannot be met. People will think that their trip is "ruined" because they did not get that coveted TSM reservation which everyone tells them that they must get at 7am the day the 6 months reservation window opens...

twinnstar

Holy hell, this thread is making pages faster than i can read them!

I'm of the opinion that Im skeptical, but I'll wait to hear more about it.

Im not a local, so I only visit once every 3 years, usually, and when I do i really really LOVE things like reserving dining in advance. Then at least I know I will get to eat where I want! I dont over do it...if I go for a week, I make about 3 reservations, and leave the rest to chance.

The idea of being able to reserve shows and stuff, might be cool. But rides?! I agree with everyone, how will I know I want to be on Splash Mountain at 11am on Friday? It could be cool maybe if you have this one ride you love and you know you always have to wait on a long line...but....personally, I've never had an issue with fastpass! Why isnt that good enough? Hmph.

I am excited for all the other interactive stuff though. I love it! Actually maybe none of this will effect me at all - cause I might just wanna wait on all the standby lines to see the cool stuff! (well...maybe once.)

twinnstar

Another thought...

Maybe you will only be able to reserve a specific # of rides per trip. Or maybe the window is VERY small, unlike Fast Pass, so that if you dont make it, your spot opens up to the public? Or maybe it will be something with an extra fee or something special you can only get if you reserve like...180 days in advance (no later?) ... therefore making it not a crapload of people who will be taking advantage of it??:confused:

Bolna

I also wanted to add something about the other feature of NextGen: the personalisation. This sounds rather charming. But is this really what Disney magic is about? It might fool kids. But we adults will know that Belle isn't using our name because she really knows us and we have some connection on a personal level, but because some technology gave her the name of the next guest. Once the novelty wears off it is just what it is: some technology. However, when you have a true personal interaction with a CM, like someone joking around with you while you are waiting in line, a short conversation, taking part in a show etc., it is much more magical to me.

inluvwithbeast

An idea was thrown around by a member on here of being able to reserve your FPs for the day before you enter the parks. Like you want to grab TSMM FPs for your group but hubby is a late-riser or just plain slow getting ready. So you reserve a couple of FPs that morning from your hotel room. Not a system where you reserve your FPs 180 days before your trip. That's just a bit silly it seems to me. This is more like being able to get a couple of FPs for the rides that deem it necessary to be there at rope drop and race like you're in the Land Run of '89 or something WITHOUT having to be there at rope drop and hurdle over the small children slowly moving in front of you.

I hope I'm not butchering the idea, but I believe that was the premise of it. I wish I could find the post but it was in a non-fastpass related thread (of course) and searching for Fastpass brings up a lot of crap.

I could see the new system being something like that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom