Tom Staggs Confirms Project of "NextGen" Nature

zooey

This announcement lacks magic. It also sounds boring.
I thought they would do something like install "magical art" (ie Disney Dream) resort wide. I'd like them to bring more surprises and more unexpected encounters and interactivity, not this vacation planning on steroids nonsense.

Brian_WDW74

This announcement lacks magic. It also sounds boring.
I thought they would do something like install "magical art" (ie Disney Dream) resort wide. I'd like them to bring more surprises and more unexpected encounters and interactivity, not this vacation planning on steroids nonsense.

People here seem to be focusing on the planning portion of Tom Staggs' announcement, which is understandable since that's mainly what he discussed. But he did hint at other plans about guest interactivity that will most likely be revealed later. Here's an excerpt from the Orlando Sentinel:
Other advances, he said, will include incorporating personalization for individual guests into rides and character greetings, adding more interactive queues designed to entertain people while they wait in line for attractions and designing behind-the-scenes systems that allow operations workers to better monitor and steer crowd flow to ease congestion.​

Disney will also aim to cull more personal information from its guests, which Staggs said "will put better information into the hands of our cast, so they can deliver even better and more personalized service for our guests." Though Staggs did not specify what information Disney would seek, possibilities range from simple details such as names and birthdates to favorite characters and credit card numbers.​

Staggs didn't go into further details about how Disney intends to implement some of the plans and Disney would not elaborate on his comments. But there is widespread speculation among former Disney executives and bloggers who follow the company that some of the plans will use radio-frequency identification microchips that can be implanted into tickets or wristbands, loaded with personal information and used to interact with RFID-sensors installed in everything from hotel-room doors to ride animatronics.​

Disney has signed a confidentiality agreement with a California company that manufactures RFID wristbands, whose clients include other amusement operators such as Great Wolf Resorts.​

Staggs declined to say when Disney will launch many of the initiatives, though some elements — such as interactive queues — have been slowly rolling out in parks in recent months. Staggs said Disney has applied for "a number" of patents related to the work.​

"It will be some time before we roll out the bulk of these developments," Staggs said. "But we're well into development."​

Timekeeper

Why are people so allergic to the notion of a reservation? I mean, Broadway shows and movie theaters have specific showtimes and people generally adhere to those times. As too do Disney in-park shows and events. So why the resistance? Two reasons:

(1) Unpredictable variables. There is so much to see and do that it's impossible to create a comprehensive itinerary. A guest might be walking from one attraction to the next, and stop for a character meet and greet (add 15 minutes), and then get blocked by a parade (add another 15 minutes). Those two minor, but common and unplanned events just set her back 30 minutes in her schedule.

(2) Related to the first - Florida weather. Anyone who lives in or has visited Florida knows how unpredictable the weather can me. Many meet and greets, shows, and attractions are closed/canceled in the event of inclement weather. There could be monsoon weather one minute, closing a number of E-ticket attractions, and then clear skies 10 minutes later. It's impossible predict, even on the day-of.

When visiting a theme park, one can only "plan" for so much. And it's often the "unexpected" that makes the experience that much more enjoyable. :sohappy:

Timekeeper

Other advances, he said, will include incorporating personalization for individual guests into rides and character greetings, adding more interactive queues designed to entertain people while they wait in line for attractions and designing behind-the-scenes systems that allow operations workers to better monitor and steer crowd flow to ease congestion.

Still doesn't beat hearing E.T. say my name at the end of the E.T. Adventure ride. :sohappy:

MKCP 1985

Why are people so allergic to the notion of a reservation? I mean, Broadway shows and movie theaters have specific showtimes and people generally adhere to those times. So why the resistance? Two reasons:

(1) Unpredictable variables. There is so much to see and do that it's impossible to create a comprehensive itinerary. A guest might be walking from one attraction to the next, and stop for a character meet and greet (add 15 minutes), and then get blocked by a parade (add another 15 minutes). Those two minor, but common and unplanned events just set her back 30 minutes in her schedule.

(2) Related to the first - Florida weather. Anyone who lives in or has visited Florida knows how unpredictable the weather can me. Many meet and greets, shows, and attractions are closed/canceled in the event of inclement weather. There could be monsoon weather one minute, closing a number of E-ticket attractions, and then clear skies 10 minutes later. It's impossible predict, even on the day-of.

When visiting a theme park, one can only "plan" for so much. And it's often the "unexpected" that makes the experience that much more enjoyable. :sohappy:

Honestly, sometimes it is impossible to make it back to an attraction during the Fastpass window. I threw away several before I learned (here) the secret that you can still use your fastpass after the window expires, just not before. :lookaroun

I enjoyed your post - and would add that we are on vacation and to many, that means getting away from keeping rigid schedules that make up our day to day existence. It can be hard enough to get a wake up call and make it to a particular park at a particular time without realizing that you are going to be on a schedule all day once you get there.

Personally, I don't mind it so much but there are others in my traveling party who resent it and say for example "let's go to the beach instead." There is no fastpass required to enjoy the sand and waves and rum drinks.

WDW1974

Wow, it actually sounds like it is taking away from the point of a vacation. Anyone who spends any significant time around people in the parks knows that most people like to turn the brains off while on vacation. What Staggs is describing sounds like something that only a Type A personality or Disney Fantatic will be happy about. People want to book their room and dining reservations and just cruise through the rest of their vacation time. This sounds like a LOT of additional effort will have to be made for people traveling and staying at the resort.

It's typical of the direction Iger (a techo-geek) wants to take things. He still doesn't get that quality and story and immersion are what have brought people to Disney parks since 1955.

Disney wants to data-mine (the real purpose of NEXTGEN) as much as it possibly can.

They've already ruined WDW dining with this. They've caused a lot of problems in the parks with FastPass, certainly as many as they've 'solved' ... yet, they forget the most basic part of a vacation -- relaxing and having fun.

I know folks who have those ridiculous online countdowns and call 407-WDW-DINE at 7:00 a.m. Eastern time 180 days out to make massive amount of dining ressies and have spreadsheets plotting out their days may think that's all fun and part of vacationing ... and they're entitled to feel that way, just like I'm entitled to feel they likely have some mental illness going down there.

But spontaneity isn't supposed to be part of a vacation? I should know I want to visit EPCOT on a Tuesday the first week in May and have Italian food for lunch at 1:15 and Chinese for dinner at 8:00 p.m.?

It really sounds to me like Disney is actively working to suck out every last drop of real magic in their giant money-making machine.

Just not magical at al ...:hammer:

Wow...you guys are really panicky about nothing.

Simmer down now...

For those of you over the age of 45...most of this is probably a STUNNING new concept. For people under the age of 45, this is NOTHING new. Using a smart phone, or a tablet, I can check into restaurants, make reservations, receive coupons, get deals, be told where something is happening, where avails are etc just by joining a group, signing up, downloading an ap etc.

This simply would be the sort of thing to give you MORE choices and to let you know what's out there. You guys are so funny w/your doom and gloom scenarios. I've never ONCE made advance reservations for EPCOT Center or ANY other Disney Restaurant and I can walk up to ANY country or any hotel and get a table w/o a DDP or priority seating.

It's hilarious how the non-continuous visiting crowd on here panics about how their entire vacation six years down the road will be ruined. Take it from someone who visits more in a month than you have in the last decade, and who works there, all this does is make it more oppurtune for you, it doesn't shut you out, take away the spontanaiety, or ruin it for the day visitor...unless you're a slave to a timetable...which really then why are you even on a vacation?

For all you day visitors, half the joy of having an annual is not having to do ANYTHING because you know it will all be there tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day after that.

WDW1974

There are plenty of people who plan to the nth degree. There is a real market for this, and a lot of people are going to love it - just look at how many people have alarms set for their dining windows opening to the second. The big question will be how well the system allows guests who don't plan to still effectively visit the parks. I'm assuming at this point that they have this covered.

I'd argue (cause you know I live to!) that Disney doesn't have the folks who want to just go and enjoy and relax (again, many would argue that's enjoying the parks in the way they were intended) covered at all ...

Look at their track record:

Dining: You aren't a resort guest? You don't know where you want to dine months, weeks or even days in advance? You're a local who wants to show up and doesn't mind waiting for a table? Guess what? You're screwed because Disney has either booked up your top 5 dining choices and/or understaffed so they can't/won't accept walkins. Oh, and in order to make the DDP more a value to those resort guests, they've raised their price points ridiculously high to again hurt the locals.

Fastpass: You don't want to get up at 6 a.m. while on 'vacation'? You want to get to a park (GASP!) in the afternoon? Well, that means you get to wait in a line that's longer than would be sans FP. And Disney can also cut ride capacity and labor because guests have those FP 'ressies' for their rides to begin with.

Park hours and entertainment: Disney wants to make resort guests happy, especially when they are staying at least a week. So, everything is tailored around what parks will have EMH and you have less entertainment scheduled ... why show Fantasmic nightly when you can save huge amounts of money by showing it four times a week on two nights (think they're Wednesdays and Sundays now)? So what if you can't get to the park on one of those nights? So what if it's a 'once in a lifetime' visit and the Studios are closed at 7 p.m. on a weekend night?

Disney shouldn't be something you have to plan like doing your taxes ... and that's literally what it's coming to while they're trying to spin it that it's to improve the guest experience.

Worse, it IS based on one basic FACT: the biggest complaint guests have at WDW (and have had for as far back as this Spirit can recall) is 'waiting/not having enough time to see and do it all' ... people have always had this issue, but now Disney feels like it needs to stimulate guests all the time. Some of it is certainly true. I was in perhaps a 15-minute (if that) wait for PoC last week and there in the queue are people playing with their iPhones ... nothing quite takes you out of preparing to sack the town and find Captain Jack as seeing some moron updating their FB status in the queue. I don't think Disney should be pandering to this type of person, but that's exactly what they are doing with these 'interactive' queues.

I also think it's much worse at WDW (naturally) because there's so much to see and do (albeit spread out over 43 square miles) and the cost, which makes people all the more grumpy and pushy.

People seem much more relaxed and just happy to be there at the other Disney resorts (even Anaheim) than WDW.

If your vacation is becoming work, then maybe there's something wrong to begin with.:)

raven

I was in perhaps a 15-minute (if that) wait for PoC last week and there in the queue are people playing with their iPhones ... nothing quite takes you out of preparing to sack the town and find Captain Jack as seeing some moron updating their FB status in the queue. I don't think Disney should be pandering to this type of person, but that's exactly what they are doing with these 'interactive' queues.

They have to fight for attention in their own parks. Phones have taken away attention from everything. We can't blame them for trying though. I give kudos for the effort as it will only enhance the current vacation even more. Anything that is added is always a plus.

SeaCastle

The key thing to remember here is that Disney wouldn't be investing over a billion into the project if it wouldn't make back its investment or be profitable in the short term. Undoubtedly, NextGen will have direct benefits for guests, in the forms of enhanced, interactive queues, personalization, and supposed convenience. But like Spirit said, it's data mining. Disney will be able to track everything...what rides you've visited, where you've shopped, what you ate, etc. which is at least moderately disturbing, for me at least.

I'm not sure my family will be fully benefitted my NextGen, besides the "gee whiz" queues. Unlike most families, our days in the park are very freeform. Nothing is master planned besides dining or potentially what days we visit the parks. We sleep in until 10am, take our time, saunter over to the park, walk to and fro with no general direction, visiting rides as we wander. We take relaxing vacations and manage to see everything we want at least once without the strict regimentation of touring plans or using more than one Fastpass per day, but I guess every family is different.

WDW1974

People here seem to be focusing on the planning portion of Tom Staggs' announcement, which is understandable since that's mainly what he discussed. But he did hint at other plans about guest interactivity that will most likely be revealed later. Here's an excerpt from the Orlando Sentinel:

Other advances, he said, will include incorporating personalization for individual guests into rides and character greetings, adding more interactive queues designed to entertain people while they wait in line for attractions and designing behind-the-scenes systems that allow operations workers to better monitor and steer crowd flow to ease congestion.​

Disney will also aim to cull more personal information from its guests, which Staggs said "will put better information into the hands of our cast, so they can deliver even better and more personalized service for our guests." Though Staggs did not specify what information Disney would seek, possibilities range from simple details such as names and birthdates to favorite characters and credit card numbers.​

Staggs didn't go into further details about how Disney intends to implement some of the plans and Disney would not elaborate on his comments. But there is widespread speculation among former Disney executives and bloggers who follow the company that some of the plans will use radio-frequency identification microchips that can be implanted into tickets or wristbands, loaded with personal information and used to interact with RFID-sensors installed in everything from hotel-room doors to ride animatronics.​

Disney has signed a confidentiality agreement with a California company that manufactures RFID wristbands, whose clients include other amusement operators such as Great Wolf Resorts.​

Staggs declined to say when Disney will launch many of the initiatives, though some elements — such as interactive queues — have been slowly rolling out in parks in recent months. Staggs said Disney has applied for "a number" of patents related to the work.​

"It will be some time before we roll out the bulk of these developments," Staggs said. "But we're well into development."​

There are MANY uses of the tech that Staggs hasn't mentioned, but Disney has planned on using to one extent or another.

The biggest one is the character wristbands with the chips in them because they (naturally) have the greatest ability to make $$$ for Mickey. Imagine buying that special WDW 40th Castle sculpture with a swipe of the wrist, which will have it at your home in Wisconsin as soon as you get there. Imagine that wristband knows your son Brandon loves dinosaurs, so when you pass Chester and Hester's it sends a signal to activate the dinos in a window display to do battle. Imagine those magical portholes from the ships now in your hotel room in the form of 'magic mirrors' that are programed to know your kids' names, so Lilo and her little blue doggies can sing them to sleep at the Poly. Imagine the chefs (de France) know your order (and special requests ... not to mention how much you've spent on your past visits) before you arrive. Imagine ...well, you guys can come up with plenty on your own (and you'll likely hit on either an actual use or one that at least has been tossed around).

Some of it very kewl ... even to a skeptical Disney-hating Spirit such as myself ... but, honestly, none is as kewl as amazing immersive environments such as TDS or WWoHP. They make you feel a part of the adventure without any need to resort to gimmicks.

Much like Disney's marketing, this is pushing style over substance ... yet again.

inluvwithbeast

I'm not sure my family will be fully benefitted my NextGen, besides the "gee whiz" queues. Unlike most families, our days in the park are very freeform. Nothing is master planned besides dining or potentially what days we visit the parks. We sleep in until 10am, take our time, saunter over to the park, walk to and fro with no general direction, visiting rides as we wander. We take relaxing vacations and manage to see everything we want at least once without the strict regimentation of touring plans or using more than one Fastpass per day, but I guess every family is different.

Yes. We plan our ADRs and what day we visit the parks (sometimes) but we get the hopper so we're not even confined to a park. If we feel like riding Muppets after we get off SM, we go ride Muppets. We TRY to get there early, but only so we have as much time to do all the things we want in our vacation. Not that we do get there early. We're not all morning people. :D We don't plan where we eat lunch or get snacks. We see something cool, we do it.

It's vacation!

Btw, I had no idea people made spreadsheets to plan their vacation. That's pretty hardcore. I wish I was that organized with my school work.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I'd argue (cause you know I live to!) that Disney doesn't have the folks who want to just go and enjoy and relax (again, many would argue that's enjoying the parks in the way they were intended) covered at all ...

Look at their track record:

Dining: You aren't a resort guest? You don't know where you want to dine months, weeks or even days in advance? You're a local who wants to show up and doesn't mind waiting for a table? Guess what? You're screwed because Disney has either booked up your top 5 dining choices and/or understaffed so they can't/won't accept walkins. Oh, and in order to make the DDP more a value to those resort guests, they've raised their price points ridiculously high to again hurt the locals.

Fastpass: You don't want to get up at 6 a.m. while on 'vacation'? You want to get to a park (GASP!) in the afternoon? Well, that means you get to wait in a line that's longer than would be sans FP. And Disney can also cut ride capacity and labor because guests have those FP 'ressies' for their rides to begin with.

Park hours and entertainment: Disney wants to make resort guests happy, especially when they are staying at least a week. So, everything is tailored around what parks will have EMH and you have less entertainment scheduled ... why show Fantasmic nightly when you can save huge amounts of money by showing it four times a week on two nights (think they're Wednesdays and Sundays now)? So what if you can't get to the park on one of those nights? So what if it's a 'once in a lifetime' visit and the Studios are closed at 7 p.m. on a weekend night?

Disney shouldn't be something you have to plan like doing your taxes ... and that's literally what it's coming to while they're trying to spin it that it's to improve the guest experience.

Worse, it IS based on one basic FACT: the biggest complaint guests have at WDW (and have had for as far back as this Spirit can recall) is 'waiting/not having enough time to see and do it all' ... people have always had this issue, but now Disney feels like it needs to stimulate guests all the time. Some of it is certainly true. I was in perhaps a 15-minute (if that) wait for PoC last week and there in the queue are people playing with their iPhones ... nothing quite takes you out of preparing to sack the town and find Captain Jack as seeing some moron updating their FB status in the queue. I don't think Disney should be pandering to this type of person, but that's exactly what they are doing with these 'interactive' queues.

I also think it's much worse at WDW (naturally) because there's so much to see and do (albeit spread out over 43 square miles) and the cost, which makes people all the more grumpy and pushy.

People seem much more relaxed and just happy to be there at the other Disney resorts (even Anaheim) than WDW.

If your vacation is becoming work, then maybe there's something wrong to begin with.:)

Well, thank goodness I won't accidentally run into you standing in queue while checking an ADR on my iPhone then.....

And "seem much more relaxed?" Was that from some empirical study, or just some inherent need to find fault with WDW and its visitors?

There's obviously an interest in this technology, be it at WDW or the other parks. There's no guaratee of how intrusive it will be (or won't), but how about seeing what comes before the knee-jerk insults and recriminations begin?

WDW1974

They have to fight for attention in their own parks. Phones have taken away attention from everything. We can't blame them for trying though. I give kudos for the effort as it will only enhance the current vacation even more. Anything that is added is always a plus.

I don't disagree with people's obsession with their little toys. But it's an addiction and I don't think Disney needs to pander to the LCD.

The parks should be able to stand on their own. I often take shots at them (mostly at WDW, as you know), but I've never used a phone at the parks for anything other than meeting up with people.

If people are that bored with the parks, then I'd suggest either something is wrong with the parks or them or a combination. I've been very lucky. I get to visit all of the parks worldwide and on a fairly regular basis (about to look at flights for my next visit to Anaheim!:):):)), but I want to experience them. I don't care about the real world when I am there and I don't get the 'tude of those who can't let go of it and just play and have fun.

And I won't even start the discussion on how the phone deal has made for even more boorish behavior from guests ...

Captain Neo

I was in perhaps a 15-minute (if that) wait for PoC last week and there in the queue are people playing with their iPhones ... nothing quite takes you out of preparing to sack the town and find Captain Jack as seeing some moron updating their FB status in the queue. I don't think Disney should be pandering to this type of person, but that's exactly what they are doing with these 'interactive' queues.

I dont understand what you want? Do you want everyone to stand in line all prim and proper while you prepare for your ritualistc journey aboard Pirates of the Caribbean? An attraction Disney themselves ruined by forcing in movie tie-ins. Maybe the youngsters should stare gawk faced at all the exciting fake canons in the queue. You sound like a fundamentalist from the backwoods complaining about them fancy "city slickers".

It's Disney's responsibility to create rides and attractions that dont bore people to the point that there gonna just stare at their iphone instead of looking at the queues they have seen for the past 40 years.

the-reason14

This sounds bad to me. I don't want to 'plan' on which attractions I want to do at which time via fastpass, I want to continue to do what I do now. Get a fastpass and use it anytime after the first posted time. If this does come to fruitation and it makes it impossible to 'go with the flow' and vacation how I enjoy, then I could see myself not going as much if at all anymore. To me it's like, why fix what isn't broken and pour money into something not needed, when there's a bucketload of stuff they could pour money into and maintain and fix, or simply build new rides. All this personalized crap sounds great to some I'm sure, but it sounds bad to me.

WDW1974

Well, thank goodness I won't accidentally run into you standing in queue while checking an ADR on my iPhone then.....

You may ... I think I have a WDW trip planned at FW starting in 459 days!:eek::D:drevil:

And "seem much more relaxed?" Was that from some empirical study, or just some inherent need to find fault with WDW and its visitors?

Neither.

It was from years of observations at Disney's parks both in Florida and around the globe. It's not unique to myself. I've heard many others who have spent time at the other resorts say similar.

And I do think it make sense on an obvious level. WDW's scale (not to be confused with quality, btw) is so much greater ... and it's located in an area that has many other quality non-Disney parks too. People want to see and do everything and that is setting yourself up for a bad trip ... or certainly not a relaxing one.

Again, crowds at DL, DLP, HKDL and TDR don't seem so rushed. They seem more able to stop and smell the roses ... and that's a shame because some of the greatest things at WDW aren't in the parks at all.

There's obviously an interest in this technology, be it at WDW or the other parks. There's no guaratee of how intrusive it will be (or won't), but how about seeing what comes before the knee-jerk insults and recriminations begin?

Nah. If there can be gushing over it, then there can be fair criticisms raised too.

And I'm not bashing it. Some of it may add quality to my visits, but I just think Disney has blinders on when it comes to technology and they're not focusing on what needs to come first.

sweetpee_1993

I read thru the thread and have considered a lot of the things folks had to say. Honestly, I don't see Disney doing something so sudden & drastic that it'll destroy their business instantaneously so I'm choosing to stay objective and not have the big knee-jerk. Yeah, the first time I heard of the NextGen stuff sometime back I thought as it seems a lot do, that vacationing by a set schedule is about the most un-magical thing I can think of. But is *that* what this NextGen stuff will really be like?

Instead of looking at how this technology will limit and over-schedule my trips I'm going to look at the possibilities. I'm soooo not a morning person. Making it to rope-drops to do the tourist stampede to the big headliners like TSM, Soarin', etc. are NOT my thing. I hate those things. Currently my choices are to get up waaay too early, get over it, do the stampede to ride & get a fastpass or be relegated to an hour minimum standby wait. Yeah. Great freakin' options. It's all or nothing. A person like me could potentially use this NextGen attraction reservation system to schedule some times for TSM, sleep until a decent hour, go ride at my reserved time, and enjoy the rest of my day. Sure, if I liked having a set itinerary for the entire day I could utilize the system to plan out every moment of my day at DHS for me. Because that's not what I like, I can utilize this system on a much smaller scale to accomplish just a few of the biggies so I had a more comfortable rest and got to enjoy TSM with a minimal wait.

Having a ride reservation system doesn't have to doom the day guest or less stringent planners to longer waits. Not at all. If Disney sets up the system essentially so there's stand-by + fastpass + NextGen it could streamline the crowd flow. How? Well, say I tell the system I want to ride TSM during my week long trip. Like with dining reservations, the system comes back with a bunch of open time slots on various days I can choose from. If I have a specific day in mind I could narrow the search by selecting more search options from the start. If 1/2 the people in the rope drop stampede to TSM did this it would reduce the number of people in that herd by half. I don't see how this has now put the people in the herd at a greater disadvantage. They can still go to the FP kiosk to get their desired FPes and ride the ride.

Basically Disney can use this NextGen reservation system to send guests to their desired destinations at various times and actually help spread the crowd flow out in more even patterns which will, again, reduce standby for the peak times.

Sure it will take adjustment and trial & error to fine-tune but the system could really be helpful to everyone including those who do not want to make even 1 attraction reservation. Fastpass wouldn't have to go away. Reduce the number of fastpasses distrubuted in each time slot and use these for the NextGen. Perhaps the standby lines would be reduced to the point that distribution of reservations by the other 2 systems could be increased in the slower slots as the system's usefulness is fully realized by guests.

Again, NextGen wouldn't relegate every visitor to a robotic existance with everyone staying on a set schedule. It would only offer more flexibility and options to more evenly distribute visitors, reduce wait times, and alleviate the rope drop herds some. Guests could use the system like good little soldiers or not at all and STILL reap a benefit. Sounds more like a win/win to me. :shrug:

Most importantly, I like that Disney is willing to think outside the box. Sure, they have a lot that I'd like to see them do (just like any self-respecting fan) but at least this is something where I see them thinking differently and making an effort. How many people thought Steve Jobs & Apple were bonkers for thinking ANYONE would want a tiny computerized music box that stored songs as "files" when everyone already had CDs and Walkmans? It's safe to say they revolutionized the music industry with the iPod. Disney is thinking. How awesome would it be to watch them revolutionize vacationing?! **raises hand** I'm in. I'll play.

:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom