Tom Sawyer's Island replacement / Expansion

Captain Neo

Frontierland really needs a revamp but I ain't talking adding cartoon tie-ins I mean make it more like modern westerns like Red Dead Redemption and True Grit.

Zac Skellington

Count me amongst those that view Tom Sawyer's Island, Tomorrowland Speedway, and Backlot Tour amongst things we would love to see replaced, largely because they all have large footprints that can likely be better used.

When you say TSI has a "large footprint", to be better used... are you including RoA?

Scuttle

Count me amongst those that view Tom Sawyer's Island, Tomorrowland Speedway, and Backlot Tour amongst things we would love to see replaced, largely because they all have large footprints that can likely be better used.

I agree with the speedway and backlot tour, but not TSI. I think TSI is the perfectly themed land that fits into both liberty square and frontierland. To me I can be standing in the queue for HM or the queue for thunder and when I look at TSI it fits into both themed lands. In fact I believe because of TSI liberty square and frontierland are the two best themed lands in the MK. I dunno that's just me though.

Crockett

Banned
Count me as wanting to see TSI stay the way it is (with the maint. brush-up rehab's of course). But keep the island with the authentic glory in which it was created. It serves as a nice escape from the other areas of the park. And just because something isn't modern era or "next gen", doesn't mean it needs the boot.

RSoxNo1

I agree with the speedway and backlot tour, but not TSI. I think TSI is the perfectly themed land that fits into both liberty square and frontierland. To me I can be standing in the queue for HM or the queue for thunder and when I look at TSI it fits into both themed lands. In fact I believe because of TSI liberty square and frontierland are the two best themed lands in the MK. I dunno that's just me though.

I will not hesitate to fire you.

In all seriousness, I do understand and respect the connection that both the Riverboat and Tom Sawyer's Island establish, but I still think the land is too valuable. However, I don't think a Rapid ride is the best choice for that area either. Count me amongst those that would much rather see the next thrill ride in Adventureland or Tomorrowland. I'd much rather see a cowboy and native american themed dark ride (or perhaps outdoor, family ride).

flavious27

I love the idea of a Who Framed Roger Rabbit ride/attraction!!

I adore that movie and god does it ever belong in DHS!
Well said to everything else!

It would be pretty amazing - but I wonder what kind of licensing fun would be involved with using the RR property, even if characters owned by other companies were specifically excluded.

It is a shame that we never got that RR miniland in dhs a decade ago, but hopefully any ideas that were shelved have matured nicely like a good bottle of wine. I don't think that many other characters then the main ones that disney would have owner of would be included.

I stand by this comment: you should work for Disney. Your park redesigns are otherworldly and should be taken seriously.

Thanks. But I have much more design skills that need to be learned to get to that point. Along with that, the one sour point for me with my concept for dhs is that I need to have something designed with the pathway that goes from hollywood blvd to the expansion plot. It is the same thing with my rough idea for expanding adventureland to have an arbialand. Walking through the parks, you want to have a sense that you are walking through something to discover more, not that you are just walking on a path to get somewhere.

Howdy

Lurker extraordinaire
Premium Member
Any updates on this? I know that a lot of random news has been popping up lately and started thinking about TSI and this thread

Knothead

I say transform the paddle boat into a pirate ship, make TSI a "pirate hideout", retheme the fort to make it more "pirate-like" and call it a day. The crazy cave with the treasure is already there and just imagine cruising around that island on an authentic looking pirate ship. My kids would love that! They don't even give the paddle boat a second look.

Princess7

I say transform the paddle boat into a pirate ship, make TSI a "pirate hideout", retheme the fort to make it more "pirate-like" and call it a day. The crazy cave with the treasure is already there and just imagine cruising around that island on an authentic looking pirate ship. My kids would love that! They don't even give the paddle boat a second look.

Good suggestion. A pirate theme could be a big hit with the kids.

PhilharMagician

Good suggestion. A pirate theme could be a big hit with the kids.

Yeah, pirates located between a New England themed Liberty Square and an Old western themed Frontierland and then the pirates can go through Frontierland to Adventureland which is the current home of pirates. This is a ridiculous concept for WDW and would make no sense. DL is a totally differand animal since Pirates is adjacent to the Rivers of America and TS Island. It would much easier to tie them together. The biggest problem is that WDW has part of an entire land dividing the areas. It is just not logical and a poor idea.

RunnerEd

Yeah, pirates located between a New England themed Liberty Square and an Old western themed Frontierland and then the pirates can go through Frontierland to Adventureland which is the current home of pirates. This is a ridiculous concept for WDW and would make no sense. DL is a totally differand animal since Pirates is adjacent to the Rivers of America and TS Island. It would much easier to tie them together. The biggest problem is that WDW has part of an entire land dividing the areas. It is just not logical and a poor idea.

In abstract, having the Black Pearl cruising the Rivers of America would be completely cool. With the rivers going through the areas mentioned above, I don't think so.

jenluvswdw

I love Tom Sawyer Island, but it needs an up date for sure!! I was thinking how cool it would be if they made it the Island of Never Never land!! The kids could take a mini pirate ship over and explore forts and caves. I am sure my three and eleven year old would love it. Jake and the Never Land Pirates are very popular now.

alissafalco

Never visited TDI, not even when I was younger. Never really had an interest in it. Always preferred the rides over anything. So to me, a change at TDI is only exciting if it involves a new ride instead of a Pirates overlay or something like that. A pirates overlay may bring some new guests but I think it would be out of place and unnecessary.

I'm with you, of all the times I've been to WDW I've never gone to TSI because I prefer to go on the rides/attractions than to walk around some nature trails. I'm sure its pretty but I can do that outside at home. So I'm all for an added ride/attraction to take over TSI!

Tip Top Club

I Absolutely adore Tom Sawyer Island...Disney has many more places that they can spend their money on more important things, this really shouldn't even be on their radar.

Stitch, Speedway, Jungle Cruise, Imagination, Prince Caspian, Sounds Dangerous, Premier Theatre, Etc, Etc, Etc.

shmmrname

Couldn't "The Grid" be referring more to the design documents / blueprints for the space? Not a literal hint at what the theme or attraction would be. I think he could be giving insight into how they determine property usage.

For instance, all the useable area they can reclaim would be mapped out (gridded), and then they can determine what themes / ideas could best be executed using the existing features and modifiable area.

Just an idea - obviously, I could be wrong.

Rescue Ranger

I have been wanting this to be re-themed for far too long. I have never really liked it the way it is, because I know it could be so much better.

I would rather it be Tarzan, Pirates, Chip n' Dale, Neverland or Winnie the Pooh themed. Hopefully it does happen.

flavious27

In abstract, having the Black Pearl cruising the Rivers of America would be completely cool. With the rivers going through the areas mentioned above, I don't think so.

Or how about Bay Lake to give the kiddies more time on the ship?

A blue sky idea I have is for a second entrance on bay lake that has a harbor theme. Along with the mini-land, there would a hotel with the same theme.

easternmkexpansion.png

2514809538_cda1a0d8d6_b.jpg

NewTown-Public-Docks-V1d.jpg

AotD_Tortuga.jpg

7thton

Did you do all of the artwork on your own? Very impressive!

Or how about Bay Lake to give the kiddies more time on the ship?

A blue sky idea I have is for a second entrance on bay lake that has a harbor theme. Along with the mini-land, there would a hotel with the same theme.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom