Tom Sawyer Island

Phonedave

one of my co-workers takes her daughters each time because she found out (prior epcot cast member) that each morning cast members hide paint brushes around the island. so she takes her daughters to find them to exchange for a BTM or SM fast pass. Some sites say that this was discontinued but she was able to do it this past April.

tomsawyerpaintbrush-600x401.jpg

There was a couple of years when I used to go to WDW a couple of times a year by myself. I had an AP, was DVC, and work had me flying into Tampa/Orlando area on a fairly regular basis, so I would add a vacation day or two onto my work trip and go for a long weekend.

I like looking for things, like geocaches, or ... paintbrushes. I used to go over to TSI in the morning, find paint brushes, but not take them. Just spot them.

A couple of times I pointed them out to parents. Especially when they had kids who were really looking for one, but were all sad because they could not find one. I would walk by and say in a low voice to the parent "look behind that rock" or "you should look on that shelf". I got a lot of thank yous for that.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
It utilizes too much space for what it is. The space should be repurposed for something more relevant and accessible to the handicapped.
it’s a great adventure playground and somewhere to run off steam for kids. Why does it have to be “relevant”?

I don’t disagree with making some paths and access to it more accessible. But no need to remove a much needed and loved quiet oasis in MK.

Lilofan

it’s a great adventure playground and somewhere to run off steam for kids. Why does it have to be “relevant”?

I don’t disagree with making some paths and access to it more accessible. But no need to remove a much needed and loved quiet oasis in MK.
RIP Honey I Shrunk The Kids Playground at MGM. Can be reborn at Tom Sawyer ?

DW Aficionado

Uh....because real estate is at a premium in the middle of MK.....

Love Ft Wilderness

I plan to get back to TSI soon to experience a classic adventure. I fear it will go away like the shooting gallery.
So much of the old Disney is being replaced. I understand why but wish it wouldn't change.

bwr827

I plan to get back to TSI soon to experience a classic adventure. I fear it will go away like the shooting gallery.
So much of the old Disney is being replaced. I understand why but wish it wouldn't change.
Walt wanted it to keep changing.

Do we have any metrics on visits to the island?

I’ve not personally stepped foot there, but I’ve only spent 5 days of my life at Magic Kingdom.

Love Ft Wilderness

Walt wanted it to keep changing.

Do we have any metrics on visits to the island?

I’ve not personally stepped foot there, but I’ve only spent 5 days of my life at Magic Kingdom.
I have no idea of the metrics. The many times I went the "raft" that takes you over was always packed. I like the serenity of the island and immersion of being in Mark Twain's literary world.

JMcMahonEsq

Right.
So because a playground isn’t relevant to you, it should go?
It doesn't really matter if TSI is relevant to any one person/taste. But no matter if you personally like it or not, I don't think anyone can argue that it is not the most popular/in demand part of the park. Either because access is an issue, its out of sight/out of mind, the time cost of getting on/off the island, or just lack of interest, TSI is simply not as popular an area of the park as others. If you could take the same space, and use it in a way the doubles or triples the amount of people that want to use what is there, why would you instead keep the older/underused space?

JohnD

I could see Disney lopping off the upper half of TSI and rerouting a portion of the RR tracks like they did for DL to insert Galaxy's Edge there for the Frontierland/Villains land expansion. But generally, I hope it stays.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom