Tom Sawyer Island

Poseidon Quest

TSI is simply not as popular an area of the park as others. If you could take the same space, and use it in a way the doubles or triples the amount of people that want to use what is there, why would you instead keep the older/underused space?

Less popular attractions are extremely important to any park experience though. It's like when people parroted that the Country Bears theater was never full and needed an update, but its ease of access was a big part of its appeal. Not everything should be a shiny new e-ticket because looking at HWS, that park is just miserable constant lines.

JMcMahonEsq

Less popular attractions are extremely important to any park experience though. It's like when people parroted that the Country Bears theater was never full and needed an update, but its ease of access was a big part of its appeal. Not everything should be a shiny new e-ticket because looking at HWS, that park is just miserable constant lines.
I can't understand or get behind that type of thought. Less popular, meaning things most people don't want or will never use, are not important, let alone extremely important to any business, let along being an extremely important part of an experience.

If something is not popular or appealing, people don't want to experience it, wither there is a line for it or not. Who cares if there is only a 10min wait time for something you have no interest in doing?

Should everything that is being built be a shiny new e-ticket ride? No, but that's because the term E-Ticket is irrelevant, doesn't exist, and comes from a long time ago based upon admission practices and ride structures that no longer exist anymore. Should the limited space at the parks be used to benefit the most people possible, absolutely. Should new rides be popular? Absolutely. Should when WDW opens something new, most people say, that is something i want to ride, definitely.

erasure fan1

Sort of. I agree that everything doesn't need to be an e-ticket. The parks need a variety of rides and attractions that have a wide range of scope. But something that the vast majority of the guests want no part of, doesn't help anything. I would much rather they put something in the TSI area that will draw people. That way it reduces the stress on everything else.

The biggest problem that Disney has as a resort, is they've put themselves into a pickle. Lack of investment into true capacity is a big problem. Now they need the people draw of multiple e-tickets in every park. Magic kingdom is the one park where they could get away with a couple more c or d-tickets instead of another e. Even then, with the capacity magic kingdom draws, it probably needs another e as well. So it seems like all everyone wants is big attractions, but that's because it's kind of what the parks need.

bwr827

No one is saying it needs to be an E-ticket. But right now what is it, an AA-ticket?

Surfin' Tuna

Part of the problem with all this A-E ticket talk is something that has happened several times on this forum over the years. It is difficult to arrange the current day attractions in a way that makes sense based on the ticketing standards of yesterday. Ultimately it comes down to this: TSI is difficult to reach, and it doesn't have all the bangs, whistles, and lights that some modern audiences want. When families do arrive on the island, however, it seems to be a hit with everyone. Many parents enjoy the diversion and the slow down for a while. Most children seem to really enjoy walking around, exploring, and being kids.

Poseidon Quest

I can't understand or get behind that type of thought. Less popular, meaning things most people don't want or will never use, are not important, let alone extremely important to any business, let along being an extremely important part of an experience.

If something is not popular or appealing, people don't want to experience it, wither there is a line for it or not. Who cares if there is only a 10min wait time for something you have no interest in doing?

In the case of something like Stitch's Great Escape or Fast & Furious: Supercharged, yeah get rid of them. But you need attractions like TSI, Country Bears, all of the Fantasyland dark rides in Disneyland, all the small experiences at Efteling or Europa park to build out your capacity. No, people won't flock to them, but there's still many people who find a lot of enjoyment there.

Building only e-tickets is bad business, because while you get that initial bump in attendance, you're still offering a miserable experience if you don't build out your capacity and it builds disinterest among your consumers, which is what I think Disney is actually currently experiencing with its massive attendance drop.

Sort of. I agree that everything doesn't need to be an e-ticket. The parks need a variety of rides and attractions that have a wide range of scope. But something that the vast majority of the guests want no part of, doesn't help anything. I would much rather they put something in the TSI area that will draw people. That way it reduces the stress on everything else.

The biggest problem that Disney has as a resort, is they've put themselves into a pickle. Lack of investment into true capacity is a big problem. Now they need the people draw of multiple e-tickets in every park. Magic kingdom is the one park where they could get away with a couple more c or d-tickets instead of another e. Even then, with the capacity magic kingdom draws, it probably needs another e as well. So it seems like all everyone wants is big attractions, but that's because it's kind of what the parks need.

I don't agree at all. Pretty much every park but Magic Kingdom desperately needs C and D tickets. Also, TSI always seems to have a consistent flow of people. It's a quiet respite from the crowds of the park, which I personally find valuable and I'm sure many others do too. Magic Kingdom has huge areas for expansion if they chose to use it. They have buildings sitting empty or otherwise builds "big" expansions like New Fantasyland or Tron which really waste a lot of space instead of compacting things in. They can build capacity but refuse to do so and replacing less popular attractions that many still enjoy only builds resentment.

No one is saying it needs to be an E-ticket. But right now what is it, an AA-ticket?

It's a well designed explorable area that is appealing to kids and a relaxing place for adults. I've never seen anyone appear bored on the island. Like the Swiss Family Treehouse, it's capacity that many people will enjoy but never rave about, yet is still very important to the balance of the park.

erasure fan1

I've never seen anyone appear bored on the island.
Well you weren't there when I took my now wife and inlaws. Lol
I enjoyed it, but I don't see people clamoring to see it. Don't mistake what I'm saying. I agree the parks need things like this. But as a realist, Disney is not going to flesh the parks out like they need. So putting in a c or d in that area would definitely draw people from the over crowded other areas.
I don't agree at all. Pretty much every park but Magic Kingdom desperately needs C and D tickets.
I still think the other parks, especially studios and Animal kingdom, NEED e-tickets. They are extremely under built. And the only way I see Magic kingdom not needing anything, is if they added huge to the other parks. And what's your guess on that happening?
They can build capacity but refuse to do so and replacing less popular attractions that many still enjoy only builds resentment
I agree with this statement. But we're talking about Disney. They've built more resentment in the last 10yrs plus than new capacity. I would love for them to truly expand. I just don't see them doing it. They had their opportunity with the studios. They could have built a new building for mickey, refurbed great movie ride, and added attractions to replace lights motor and backlot. Then with slinky and galaxys edge, while still needing a couple more kid focused dark rides, you have a solid park. But they did none of it.

It might be cutting off your nose despite your face. But since I believe they won't do what needs to be done at the other parks. I'll take adding something that's more of a draw at TSI.

JMcMahonEsq

In the case of something like Stitch's Great Escape or Fast & Furious: Supercharged, yeah get rid of them. But you need attractions like TSI, Country Bears, all of the Fantasyland dark rides in Disneyland, all the small experiences at Efteling or Europa park to build out your capacity. No, people won't flock to them, but there's still many people who find a lot of enjoyment there.

Building only e-tickets is bad business, because while you get that initial bump in attendance, you're still offering a miserable experience if you don't build out your capacity and it builds disinterest among your consumers, which is what I think Disney is actually currently experiencing with its massive attendance drop.

I don't agree at all. Pretty much every park but Magic Kingdom desperately needs C and D tickets. Also, TSI always seems to have a consistent flow of people. It's a quiet respite from the crowds of the park, which I personally find valuable and I'm sure many others do too. Magic Kingdom has huge areas for expansion if they chose to use it. They have buildings sitting empty or otherwise builds "big" expansions like New Fantasyland or Tron which really waste a lot of space instead of compacting things in. They can build capacity but refuse to do so and replacing less popular attractions that many still enjoy only builds resentment.

It's a well designed explorable area that is appealing to kids and a relaxing place for adults. I've never seen anyone appear bored on the island. Like the Swiss Family Treehouse, it's capacity that many people will enjoy but never rave about, yet is still very important to the balance of the park.
First, stop living in the 70’s or the 80’s. There is no E ticket, or B or C or Q ticket rides anymore. There is 1 park ticket that gets you in the park, and gives everyone the choice to ride/experience every offering at your choice.

Second, building things people want to ride/experiece is never ever a bad thing. They don’t have to all be fast paced coasters with low capacity and short ride time. Build large omnimover or dark water rides. But build something like pirates, or HH, something people want to ride.

Third, TSI might be “well designed” but if people aren’t using it, if it’s not popular, then it’s wasted space that should be explored for better opportunities. You don’t ever see wait times to get on TSI, you don’t ever see it “at capacity” I think access is an issue an maybe a static bridge/walkway as opposed to waiting for the rafts would help out and get more spontaneous foot traffic there. But no park or any service offering should be building underutilizing available space. TSI has been there forever. It’s not a question of lack of information on what’s offers there, or not knowing it exists. People aren’t using it, and certainly not to the extent of other areas of the park. If you can use the space in a way that more customers enjoy it, and get a better ROI per square foot of space, it’s a worthwhile thing to explore

easyrowrdw

The magic Kingdom Tom Sawyer Island stinks compared to what they have in Disneyland. They need to add a lot more.
We went to DL recently and were disappointed by their Tom Sawyer Island. Almost anything that seemed interesting was either broken or closed. We loved the canoes though! I wish they had that at MK.

As to the larger discussion about the island, my kids love it. When they traveled with extended family last year, it was one of the things they were most excited about sharing with their first-time visitor cousins. Whenever we go we always see other kids running around and having a good time. Even if adults aren’t as interested, I think it’s a great attraction for kids.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

MK has the 2 mills you can go inside of, plus the fort with several AA’s, the swinging bridge, and barrel bridge.

Disneyland has caves and the props from pirates plus the chance to count all the leftover pyro debris from Fantasmic haha.
The caves are pretty great though, and the Fort at MK could use some serious love.

ohioguy

I could see them reducing the island's footprint, but not get rid of it altogether. Older visitors love the Liberty Square Riverboat ride, and they use it for a dinner party, so maintaining the island makes practical sense. The riverboat needs a waterway to tour, which naturally means an island in the center.

Not all attractions in a theme park need to be thrill-a-minute. Especially as I get older, I see the importance of maintaining rides/attractions/events that appeal to different age groups. I'm also a sucker for thematics, so a Liberty Square without the riverboat - and a Frontierland without the island - would be quite a visual letdown.

John park hopper

Stating something is E or D or C level attraction is just a reference point most people are familiar with. True you pay one admission price to get in and Disney no longer refers to a letter designation for attractions. TSI is great for kids and I find it a nice timeout for adults---Disney needs places like this

easyrowrdw

MK has the 2 mills you can go inside of, plus the fort with several AA’s, the swinging bridge, and barrel bridge.

Disneyland has caves and the props from pirates plus the chance to count all the leftover pyro debris from Fantasmic haha.
MK has caves too.
The caves are pretty great though, and the Fort at MK could use some serious love.
What is missing (or broken?) from the fort at MK? I don’t know the history of it.

Club Cooloholic

MK has caves too.

What is missing (or broken?) from the fort at MK? I don’t know the history of it.
I don't recall AAs in it. But it has been closed off the last few times we went. Maybe it's changed a lot the last few years. So, what I am hearing is that it and the DL one are about equal? I guess on my opinion they were not, with the DL one having a much more elaborate cave system, and more things to explore.

easyrowrdw

I don't recall AAs in it. But it has been closed off the last few times we went. Maybe it's changed a lot the last few years. So, what I am hearing is that it and the DL one are about equal? I guess on my opinion they were not, with the DL one having a much more elaborate cave system, and more things to explore.
The Fort at MK has been opened most of the times we’ve gone. But in May it was closed, I think due to rain. Otherwise the AA animals there have been working. I don’t know what features may have changed over the years though.

As I mentioned previously, the Fort and some of the other elements (including one of the caves?) were closed on our trip to Disneyland last month so I couldn’t compare. That’s why I was curious.

TrainsOfDisney

I don't recall AAs in it.
The fort has AA chickens, horses, and maybe a human figure or 2. All pretty limited motion. Also the crackling fire of the blacksmith. I love the chickens!
So, what I am hearing is that it and the DL one are about equal? I guess on my opinion they were not, with the DL one having a much more elaborate cave system, and more things to explore.
They are both similar - the WDW one has the 2 mills you can go inside of, one has a lovely hidden detail for fans of the Old Mill.

Kinda like comparing the 2 haunted mansions.

TrainsOfDisney

As I mentioned previously, the Fort and some of the other elements (including one of the caves?) were closed on our trip to Disneyland last month so I couldn’t compare.
The current fort at Disneyland is never opened - it’s backstage space for Fantasmic.

The original Ft. Wilderness on Tom Sawyer Island was sadly neglected during sad times at Disneyland and had to be torn down.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom