Tom Sawyer Island

blueboxdoctor

Ha funny ... I just posted in another thread that I have NEVER been to TSI. Is it worth the ride over? Shouldn't I experience it just once?

I sometimes forget it's there. There's really not much exciting going on over there (or even mildly interesting). It's a part of an era gone by, and just kind of exists now. And ever since Aunt Polly's (counter service) was closed up on the island, there's really not much to do.

Disnee4Me

I sometimes forget it's there. There's really not much exciting going on over there (or even mildly interesting). It's a part of an era gone by, and just kind of exists now. And ever since Aunt Polly's (counter service) was closed up on the island, there's really not much to do.
I'm going to assume at Christmastime, Aunt Polly's might be open??? Is it seasonal?

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Wednesday, Aug 19. Aunt Polly's deck and gazebo being refurbished, behind the construction scrim.

IMG_5965.JPG

Dj Corona

If you have the time, (and as my family have found out over the years, sometimes it's not open, but it happens!) It's a nice little break from the norm, sometimes while we're going through it, it's easy to forget your still in the park! Love playing checkers in the fort (one time a little kid thought we were cast members, no lie!) Although it's not open for after hours events, I think it was 2003, when they were hyping the Haunted Mansion movie, kind of when MNSSHP started taking off, the Liberty Bell used to run, with stories of ghost tales, etc. Now it's just a candy stop.

DW Aficionado

TSI was great for the 1960’s when it was designed. Unfortunately, it has a large footprint that could be better utilized. A few years ago the Indy Car track was shortened to make room for Mickey’s Toon Town. The time has now come for TSI to gently enter the 21st century.

Full access needs to be established onto the island. Perhaps a drawbridge that allows all guests to come and go as they please. Keep the raft for those who enjoy it.

Allow night access to TSI. Fit the island with lights, and better paths that are handicapped accessible.

Also, update the termite infested fort and add additional attractions such as live entertainment and/or a show.

Professor_Jason

I'm a big kid at heart I can't wait to go and explore TSI :) I'm hoping Aunt Polly's will be open I'd love to eat on the island across from the Mansion and watch the Riverboat go by

Last edited:

ChesterKiwi

TSI was great for the 1960’s when it was designed. Unfortunately, it has a large footprint that could be better utilized. A few years ago the Indy Car track was shortened to make room for Mickey’s Toon Town. The time has now come for TSI to gently enter the 21st century.

Full access needs to be established onto the island. Perhaps a drawbridge that allows all guests to come and go as they please. Keep the raft for those who enjoy it.

Allow night access to TSI. Fit the island with lights, and better paths that are handicapped accessible.

Also, update the termite infested fort and add additional attractions such as live entertainment and/or a show.
Even as someone who supports the full Tom Sawyer Island as it is, I'd be fine with removal of the fort. The second island is large and could be better utilized anyway. Heck, just keep the caves at least, and I'll be decently satisfied.

ScarletBegonias

I really want to go on our next trip. Can a two year old wander around? We always try to find places where we can go and just let her down to burn off some steam. We'd be right there with her, of course.

DW Aficionado

Big problem I see is if Disney starts fooling around on TSI they will have to make the whole island ADA compliant which means the whole place would have to be bulldozed. The work involved in making TSI ADA compliant isn't worth doing.

Ouch, that is kind of insensitive in today's world. I always find how wonderful it is at MK that so many disabled children are able to experience the majority of attractions. Special boats on Small World, and honeypots on Winnie the Pooh just to name a couple.

I'm not sure what the answer is, tho you are correct that it would require a large construction effort on the part of Disney to make TSI more accessible to those with disabilities.

Again, referring back to my original post, TSI is an artifact from the 1960's and needs to be updated. How? Not sure.... maybe we can brainstorm some suggestions.

Ghost93

It utilizes too much space for what it is. The space should be repurposed for something more relevant and accessible to the handicapped.
Yeah, I bet most people who visit Disney world skip Tom Sawyer Island entirely. It could be put to much better use by having a ride or a different type of walk-through attraction on it. They could also use the island to connect to the Beyond Big Thunder property in the back portion of the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom