Tokyo Disney Sea New Fantasmic

I've just watched the "new" Fantasmic at TDS twice. It looks to be quite a spectacle if you're watching it in person. It's not Fantasmic though. I would have called this show "Imagination", like Fantasmic was to be originally called. As a "music" guy, the Fantasmic score is what makes Fantasmic, well, Fantasmic. This new show completely butchers the original score...in fact, the Fantasmic fanfare is used so little, I can't figure out why they used it at all. When it shows up, it's preceeded by the typcial Disney chorus, singing a rather lackluster Imagination song, then during the finale, another theme is introduced, then back to the original Fantasmic score. The original almost feels out of place. By the finale of the US versions, even first time viewers are so familiar with the Fantasmic theme, they can hum it on the way out of the park. I don't know what the Japanese are going to be humming when they leave this show, but it probably won't be the original theme. Steve Davison should be credited with a visual treat, but the score lacks cohesion. I'm curious to see who the composer is for the new material. It certainly doesn't seem like a Bruce Healy composition. A previous poster compared this new Fantasmic to WoC and I would agree because of the the style of the presentation. Without the narrative and the sweeping score of the original DL and WDW version, this is definately not Fantasmic in my book. It is really cool to look at though and I'd definately like to see it in person. Just change the name, and get rid of any musical references to the original score and it will be a great show on it's own merits.

I completly agree with this!!!!!! I adore the Fantasmic! soundtrack!!!:)

ChristianG

It's nice, but like others said, it's not Fantasmic. I didn't really catch on to any story they were trying to tell us, unlike DL and WDW. In DL and WDW, its clear that they are trying to guide us through Mickey's dreams and adventure. In Tokyo, it's just a collaboration of different movies and themes... similar to World of Color and BraviSEAmo. Overall, it is a nice show, but they shouldn't have called it Fantasmic when they were going to make it.. not Fantasmic.

imagineer boy

Original Poster
Um, why aren't people getting the story? The story and format are almost exactly the same as the DL and WDW versions with the Mickey's dream plot and all.

FigmentJedi

It even has the same basic segments of the other versions, though Ocean and Jungle have switched places:
Sorcerer's Apprentice
Ocean
Jungle
An awesome rocking version of a song (Pink Elephants in Disneyland, Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride in Tokyo)
Princesses, though a whole new medley in Tokyo
Villains hijacking the show and Tinkerbell starting off the finale

All Tokyo is missing is a Peter Pan/Pocahontas type of sequence and considering the location, they could have easily used the cancelled 20,000 Leagues idea that was considered for Orlando. I really don't see why people think this is a plotless movie medley like World of Color.

imagineer boy

Original Poster
Because its execution is a mess.

I honestly have to disagree. I think the sequences flow together fine and transition well.

Its not like WDW's version which has the overly long and pointless bubble sequence, out of place Pocahantas segment, and the part where virtually every villain in Disney history ramble on about how they're going to get Mickey and then do nothing.

flavious27

I honestly have to disagree. I think the sequences flow together fine and transition well.

Its not like WDW's version which has the overly long and pointless bubble sequence, out of place Pocahantas segment, and the part where virtually every villain in Disney history ramble on about how they're going to get Mickey and then do nothing.

I think part of the problem is that the language being used is Japanese so you miss alot when you can not understand the narration.

FigmentJedi

Don't forget the really out of place choices for said villain montage like Cruella (who for some reason has gone from wanting to make coats out of puppies to stealing souls) and Frollo (who's working with witches and pagan gods despite wanting to burn down all of Paris over a gypsy he thought was a witch)

Buried20KLeague

Don't forget the really out of place choices for said villain montage like Cruella (who for some reason has gone from wanting to make coats out of puppies to stealing souls) and Frollo (who's working with witches and pagan gods despite wanting to burn down all of Paris over a gypsy he thought was a witch)

:lol:

Great points! I hadn't thought about it that way.

saxamoophone

:ROFLOL:

That's very true.

I have a feeling this new version is like World Of Color. You have to see it in person.

It looks kinda cool, although I don't think I like he lack of a "main island." Mickey looks kind of silly stuck on the top of a hat in a 3x3 box!

That being said, was anyone else watching this thinking it would be great to drop this down in the World Showcase @ EPCOT ;).

I just hope DHS version gets updated soon.

How about this? Cut Pocahantas. Replace it with PIRATE OF THE CARIB, similar to Disneylands. Add in one more main island scene, maybe Pixar related....think ToyStory.

WDWGoof07

WDW Fantasmic is actually my favorite version. But I do agree that the TDS version flows smoothly between scenes. If they dropped the clip montage at the beginning, it would be even better.

It looks kinda cool, although I don't think I like he lack of a "main island." Mickey looks kind of silly stuck on the top of a hat in a 3x3 box!
Keep in mind that the setting is Mickey's imagination. The lack of "main island" gives the show an ethereal quality (though you lose out on the cool choreography), and it works because this is more like "World of Color" with actors than the stateside Fantasmic show. That's why I say you can't compare TDS Fantasmic to any other version.

Disney_Geek

Just watched the videos, and I wasn't all that impressed. Usually Tokyo Disney blows me away, but this just... feel short. Their dragon looks so much better than ours at Hollywood Studios, but the story was so weak. There wasn't even much of a story, in my opinion, which is one of the fun factors of the US Fantasmics that make them work instead of looking like a mashup of different movies. I did like how they projected onto the hat. Hey! Maybe maybe we could find a use for the hat at HS like this! ;)

FigmentJedi

Just watched the videos, and I wasn't all that impressed. Usually Tokyo Disney blows me away, but this just... feel short. Their dragon looks so much better than ours at Hollywood Studios, but the story was so weak. There wasn't even much of a story, in my opinion, which is one of the fun factors of the US Fantasmics that make them work instead of looking like a mashup of different movies. I did like how they projected onto the hat. Hey! Maybe maybe we could find a use for the hat at HS like this! ;)

But it's the same story. Heck, I think Mickey pops in and out more often to link things together then he does in the stateside versions, like how he transitions from ocean to jungle and appears in both the cooldown leading into Friend Like Me and the Princess sequence. Not to mention you have Ursula actually doing something as opposed to a long monologue like at Disneyland by sending Mickey into a whirlpool.

Problem is that the dialogue is in Japanese.

imagineer boy

Original Poster
^^ Agreed, its the exact same story and similar sequence of events people. I really don't understand the argurments that there's a lack of story. :shrug:

PalisadesPkteer

See! There is an other use for the BAH!! LOL!!

Remove it from DHS and use it for the new Fantasmic! Will watch the full video and then tell you what I think.

elisatonks

TDS version is enjoyable in its own right, however I definetly prefer the WDW and DL soundtracks for the show, nor do i think that it should be majorly compared with each other, as you could DL vs WDW's.

I do however feel that imagineering is testing the water here in many respects by combining new technologies and ideas, and can see many of the ideas we saw being incorporated into a new nightime spectacular. I especially could see this setup being used at EPCOT minus the Fantasmic Theme in leiu of something more reprentative of celebrating the global community etc, and the setup could work either with or witout live actors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom