Tokyo Disney Sea New Fantasmic

Mr.MouseFan

I have to say I'm not as big of a fan of this new version as I thought I'd be. Maybe it's just because it's a video and I'm such a fan of the versions in the states but it doesn't seem to have any of the magic of the other fantasmics. The majority of the show is projections (even moreso than Florida) the live elements are limited to a couple characters trapped on top of two square feet of hat and the rest continually dancing in circles on albeit really nice floats. Oh and they do have a dragon neck at least. But where's the magic? Where is Peter pan flying on a pirate ship fighting captain hook or a full scale war breaking out on stage? Where's Mickey appearing spontaneously and disappearing without an obvious giant hat that he could clearly hide in? All the special effects in fantastic are part of what makes it so cool. There really aren't the same kind of things in this version Not to mention that they pretty much completely trampled the original score. The new additions aren't consistent at all. It sounds like they couldn't afford to write a complete new score so they wrote a couple parts and then cut in parts of the original music when they ran out of money. (which I'm sure is not the case it just sounds like it). The new additions would sound great on their own but not conflicting with the old theme. What theme is supposed to be the main one of the show is made extremely unclear. While I admit like certain ideas present in the new version (Mickey being trapped in the mirror, better fountains, floating kaa, more fireworks) I just really wished they would've abandoned calling it Fantasmic and incorporating any of the original music and story elements. As a water parade and spectacle with no substantial story it could've been great but as a show that can't decide if it wants to tell a story or just relive movie moments ala woc it doesn't work---at least in my opinion. Still, visually it's a spectacle and that has to count for something. It's still a show that people will enjoy for that reason- heck even I'd enjoy seeing it is person...I'm just not sure what they were thinking.

Agreed.

It's nice to look at. It's visually impressive. But bigger is not always better.

dlpwishes

I think what they've done is great and for TDS this fits right in. I don't know if I'd want to see it in the US parks though? The viewing experience is very different, but some of those fountains & other tech would be awesome additions to both WDW and DL.

One thing I'm in two minds about is the music. I really liek that they've created a 'new' score for this one, with a new song but kept the basic elements. However, it didn't feel like it flowed as well as the US versions. there seem to be cut-out bits where the music misses a few bars at a time. BUT loved the re-arranged final few seconds with the sorcerer's apprentice music!

Also, note the Little Mermaid music... very similar to the cut section from WoC ;)

Enchantâmes

Just a few thoughts about this: Like World of Color its random and disjointed. There are some cool parts but its not Fantasmic... They killed the original song... Why is it Beauty and the Beast and peter pan got cut for Cinderella and Stitch? I'm not too crazy about this Version (I do like the new animation though). DL is still #1 IMO.

DisneyNut2007

Around 25% of that $38 billion revenue I mentioned came from the parks, and WDW is their most visited resort. I am quite aware that WDW is also the number one tourist destination in the world, but you'd think that they'd take pride in that and keep it a little nicer. Make it worthy of that title. At least do maintenance on what's already there. Letting something grow stale or fall to pieces because tourists don't know any better is shameful. I know WDW makes money as-is, but I thought Disney was supposed to be a more heritage-rich and proud company than that. Companies are driven by greed, and yes, I wish Disney wasn't like that too.

You, sir, are completely wrong once again.

Condorman, on the other hand, is 100% right.

Buried20KLeague

Just a few thoughts about this: Like World of Color its random and disjointed. There are some cool parts but its not Fantasmic... They killed the original song... Why is it Beauty and the Beast and peter pan got cut for Cinderella and Stitch? I'm not too crazy about this Version (I do like the new animation though). DL is still #1 IMO.

Cindy and ESPECIALLY Stitch are a lot bigger over there than BatB and PP. I'm sure it was changed for cultural reasons.

stitchcastle

Fantasmic! doesn't work with the big venue that is the Mediterranean Harbor lagoon. The story is too intimate and the intimacy and simplicity is what makes it magical, with the DisneySea lagoon being so big and grandiose, you can't just be simple and intimate, you have to go big and some fountains and a fancy video screen ain't gonna cut it.

they would have been better off importing Reflections of Earth (if they really didn't want to do World of Color, which would have been the perfect fit)

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I've just watched the "new" Fantasmic at TDS twice. It looks to be quite a spectacle if you're watching it in person. It's not Fantasmic though. I would have called this show "Imagination", like Fantasmic was to be originally called. As a "music" guy, the Fantasmic score is what makes Fantasmic, well, Fantasmic. This new show completely butchers the original score...in fact, the Fantasmic fanfare is used so little, I can't figure out why they used it at all. When it shows up, it's preceeded by the typcial Disney chorus, singing a rather lackluster Imagination song, then during the finale, another theme is introduced, then back to the original Fantasmic score. The original almost feels out of place. By the finale of the US versions, even first time viewers are so familiar with the Fantasmic theme, they can hum it on the way out of the park. I don't know what the Japanese are going to be humming when they leave this show, but it probably won't be the original theme. Steve Davison should be credited with a visual treat, but the score lacks cohesion. I'm curious to see who the composer is for the new material. It certainly doesn't seem like a Bruce Healy composition. A previous poster compared this new Fantasmic to WoC and I would agree because of the the style of the presentation. Without the narrative and the sweeping score of the original DL and WDW version, this is definately not Fantasmic in my book. It is really cool to look at though and I'd definately like to see it in person. Just change the name, and get rid of any musical references to the original score and it will be a great show on it's own merits.

WDWGoof07

I just watched the video. Wow, that is spectacular. Dancing fountains are always great, beautiful colors and pyrotechnics, and I thought the magic mirror part was pretty clever. Really though, its only similarities to the US versions of Fantasmic are the name and basic premise. You can't really compare them directly. So I'll just say I love all three versions.

Figment1986

it works for tokyo... and some select items might work for WDW like say trapping mickey in a screen... or upgrading the barges to use more LEDs (DL did that already) or say upgrade our dragon to be like theirs... or DL's if they can improve reliability...

flavious27

Yeah I know this isn't WDW news but I thought it would be good to show the memebers here the new Tokyo Disney Sea version of Fantasmic and how it could bring possible changes to the WDW version.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnqO4FG2Inc&feature=player_embedded

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB8t7QZm4Mw&feature=player_embedded

All I can say is two thumbs WAY WAY up. Blows even DL's version out of the water.

Just stunning. I just fear that tdo will clone just the video and still keep steamboat willie and the rock pile.

JungleTrekFan

That was pretty awesome. And it means a certain fire dragon structure and water fountain boat from BraviSEAmo would be free to move to AK for a new night time show :rolleyes: If only.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Because unlike the OLC, Disney has a dozen other aspects to finance, i.e. movie, television, stage, cruise, online divisions, etc. Are you under the impression that every dollar WDW makes goes right back into WDW? It doesn't, and it shouldn't. Why must TWDC spend $1 billion every year on WDW? No respectable business would do that. WDW already receives more annual occupancy than any other park worldwide. Why do people keep insisting that they blow 10-25% of their annual profit on e-tickets and popcorn? Some people really need to graduate from business school before they make juvenile, pie-in-the-sky, summer day wishes. Geez. :brick:

:rolleyes:

flavious27

Because unlike the OLC, Disney has a dozen other aspects to finance, i.e. movie, television, stage, cruise, online divisions, etc. Are you under the impression that every dollar WDW makes goes right back into WDW? It doesn't, and it shouldn't. Why must TWDC spend $1 billion every year on WDW? No respectable business would do that. WDW already receives more annual occupancy than any other park worldwide. Why do people keep insisting that they blow 10-25% of their annual profit on e-tickets and popcorn? Some people really need to graduate from business school before they make juvenile, pie-in-the-sky, summer day wishes. Geez. :brick:

Actually respectable companies grow and maintain their centerpiece and marque properties. The only way to maintain a cash cow is to keep feeding it.

rct247

I have to say I'm not as big of a fan of this new version as I thought I'd be. Maybe it's just because it's a video and I'm such a fan of the versions in the states but it doesn't seem to have any of the magic of the other fantasmics. The majority of the show is projections (even moreso than Florida) the live elements are limited to a couple characters trapped on top of two square feet of hat and the rest continually dancing in circles on albeit really nice floats. Oh and they do have a dragon neck at least. But where's the magic? Where is Peter pan flying on a pirate ship fighting captain hook or a full scale war breaking out on stage? Where's Mickey appearing spontaneously and disappearing without an obvious giant hat that he could clearly hide in? All the special effects in fantastic are part of what makes it so cool. There really aren't the same kind of things in this version Not to mention that they pretty much completely trampled the original score. The new additions aren't consistent at all. It sounds like they couldn't afford to write a complete new score so they wrote a couple parts and then cut in parts of the original music when they ran out of money. (which I'm sure is not the case it just sounds like it). The new additions would sound great on their own but not conflicting with the old theme. What theme is supposed to be the main one of the show is made extremely unclear. While I admit like certain ideas present in the new version (Mickey being trapped in the mirror, better fountains, floating kaa, more fireworks) I just really wished they would've abandoned calling it Fantasmic and incorporating any of the original music and story elements. As a water parade and spectacle with no substantial story it could've been great but as a show that can't decide if it wants to tell a story or just relive movie moments ala woc it doesn't work---at least in my opinion. Still, visually it's a spectacle and that has to count for something. It's still a show that people will enjoy for that reason- heck even I'd enjoy seeing it is person...I'm just not sure what they were thinking.

Your post is very similar to my thoughts. It is an outstanding show, but it is NOT Fantasmic. It is a hybrid of Fantasmic, World of Color, and IllumiNations. When I imagined Fantasmic 2.0, I pictured something almost exactly the same, but updated to include more films and upgrades to the technology. The upgrades in technology is evident with the amazing fountains, screens, and effects, but the storyline is somewhat lost. Parts feel disjointed. I loved the dragon part of this show as well as the Sorcerer Hat/Walking Brooms parts, but I like DHS's movie montage and storyline better.

blm07

I think that phrase "bigger isn't better" suits this. It's big and has a lot of really cool effects, but it's not really Fantasmic. It's pretty weird actually. There are a lot of dancing bugs (I guess that is what they are) and candelabras. :shrug: and the soundtrack is kind of a mess. The center piece is ok, kinda like a ROE globe cake, some of the images are flattened or stretched. I was more impressed with the water jets, lasers and fire.

My dream is for the Studios version to combine all of these new technologies to make an amazing show. Updated and better looking mountain, DisneySea dragon (and use that awesome water screen effect to introduce it), World of Color water jets, projections on the mountain, lasers (does the Studios version even have lasers?), less water screens, same soundtrack. The sound system is already great, and amount of performers is good.

Someone mentioned that the mind control dialog could be changed, maybe so, but it does go with the theme of the bad guys taking control of Mickey's imagination. Maybe it could be tweaked. Pocahontas could be changed as well, but I like the canon and yelling "Look! It's John Smith!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom