Trip Report To Disneyland, with Love: A June 2013 Trip Report

What can I say, Disneyland?! I’m writing you this love letter because you managed to steal a little piece of my heart. The time we spent with you last summer was unbelievably magical for this little family of ours.

Seeing how long it’s been since my last trip report, I may be a new face to some of you! I’m Holly and traveling with me are my dreamer of a husband, Brett, and our little dreamboat, Lucas. More than ever, we’re loving life as a party of three. A little background for those of you who may not be aware… in June Brett completed a five-month professional internship with the Walt Disney Company. Over the course of those five months, Lucas and I were only able to spend a total of seven days with him. To say we missed the man would be the understatement of the century. And I feel certain this is why Disneyland settled so sweetly within my heart, it was the adventure that landed in our laps mere days after his return.

So, how’d this happen? Well, in early June a work-related trip to the west coast came across my desk. Not wanting to miss out on a great opportunity, I floated the idea out to Brett and we decided we must throw caution to the wind, pack up our tiny little human, and hop on a plane bound for Anaheim. There was a new adventure awaiting us on the horizon.

I booked our flights on June 12th and five days later we were en route to LAX. How’s that for last minute?! There was no planning, no spending days pouring over park maps and guidebooks, no stressing out over every last detail of the trip, and no perusing the internet for all the must-dos. There was none of that. What there was though was an excitement for something new, something unknown and magical waiting just for us. Can I let you in on a little secret? These are my FAVORITE kind of trips!

This trip report is for you, Disneyland, your magical highness!

IMG_7399.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We did some other things that have since escaped me and then headed on to Route 66 for a couple more spins on the Racers before calling it an early night. Lucas was getting incredibly tired and we had a busy day of flights coming up.

IMG_8615.jpg

IMG_8616.jpg

IMG_8617.jpg

IMG_8618.jpg

IMG_8619.jpg

IMG_8629.jpg

IMG_8639.jpg

IMG_8650.jpg

We grabbed something to eat as we were heading out of the park and couldn't get over how quickly the time had flown by. But I think because it was such an impromptu trip, we weren't all that sad about it, just marveling over the fact that we had had this opportunity at all.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Day 5 – Friday, June 21st: The Long Flight Home

Up early again, I had the brilliant idea to pack everything up and then take a walk over to the Grand Californian for Mickey waffles before going back up to our room to grab our things and walk back down the street to catch our shuttle back to the airport. This plan was only brilliant in that it included Mickey waffles, the full out sprint we had to do to get to and from said waffles was pretty un-brilliant.

For anyone who has been to Disneyland, you probably find it completely laughable that we (mostly I) thought this could all be accomplished in just a little over one hour. Do you know how long it really takes to walk from the Fairfield Inn on Harbor Boulevard, through security, across the esplanade, through Downtown Disney, to the back corners of the Grand Floridian property to stand in line for Mickey waffles at a quick service restaurant... and then wind back out of the Grand Floridian, sprint through Downtown Disney, stand in line for security, traverse the esplanade, curse the stoplight on Harbor Boulevard, climb back up to your third floor room at the hotel, wait impatiently at the elevator, and then lug multiple suitcases back two more blocks to the shuttle pick up spot?!?!?!?! All with a tiny human in tow?!

I love me some Mickey waffles, but I won’t be doing that again!

60e877f6da9811e2a2c122000a1f9d4d_7.jpg

We arrived at the shuttle pick up with about one minute to spare. Fearing that our particular shuttle had been a few minutes early and we’d missed it, I even called dispatch to confirm whether or not it had made it to our stop yet. As I was on the phone with them, the shuttle pulled up. Whew!

So that was the beginning of a very long travel day. The highlights of which were this little guy sleeping most of the first flight and reading the safety instructions to us for the duration of the second.

IMG_9339.jpg

IMG_9345.jpg

IMG_9351.jpg

And just for good measure... this is what jet lag looks like the morning after a full day of eastbound travel:

IMG_9359.jpg

I’ve been working on this trip report off and on since receiving my recovered photos about four months ago. And now, six months later, I’ve released it into the wild. So this reflection comes with the added benefit of time. Every time I think back on our trip, I can't help but smile. We were us at our best. And nothing can top finally finding our groove traveling as a family of three. Numerous times during these months, I’ve talked about how I can’t wait to get back out there. To see a whole new way in which Lucas will take in the parks, for he’s a completely different person now. He was still a baby then, taking naps throughout the day, nursing, and bouncing along happily in the baby carrier. But now, now, he’s a full blown toddler, with opinions and words and feet to carry him as fast as the wind.

With the timing of posting this report I must say, in some ways, we’ve come full circle. Brett officially moved back to Florida this past weekend to begin his career with the Walt Disney Company and Lucas and I will remain here until our house sells. I expect we’re looking at another 3+ months apart. Who knows, maybe we’ll celebrate being reunited with another trip to the west coast this spring! Or maybe we'll celebrate in Paris... I hear there's a park there. ;)

Until next time, Disneyland, I’ll hold you near and dear to my heart. For my memories of you shine brightly with the love and light I feel for this little family of mine. Thanks for an incredible time.

Yours truly,
Hollybelle

Ariel484

Loved it!

The ROARING and ice cream pictures are great...but I LOL'd at the one of Lucas and Belle. He looks sort of confused/disgusted.

I REALLY want to get to Disneyland someday...girls weekend?! :D

PolynesianPrincess

Oh yes! Women swoon for the redheaded boy babies! Do you get remembered for it? The ladies at our OshKosh store knew us by name. And the then-manager at Margaritaville New Orleans. Her name was Wynter and she always took time to sit with us and play with the boys. It's no wonder there's such negative connotations with the ginger label. I'm convinced this whole stigma/label is the brain-child of some seriously envious non-redheads. ;)

Your pics are getting me so very psyched! Yesterday I had a bit of a diva princess moment when I read Pirates may be down when we are going to DL. My poor little heart was bruised at the thought of it. But, that's okay. I'll catch it next time. Since we prob'ly will buy APs and all. LOL!

Loved the trio of drinks lined up. That's awesome!

BTW, I think it was around 18 months Chandler decided he had an opinion and his opinion said he had better things to do than sit in a stroller. I remember.... ;)

Pirates might be going down?!? Oh noooo!!! I know that Space Moutain, Alice in Wonderland and the Nemo Subs will be down while we're there too. Not Pirates TOO!! :(

PolynesianPrincess

Awesome report, Holly! I couldn't possibly be MORE excited for April to get here so I can experience it first hand! If it wasn't for wdwmagic, I don't think I ever would have thought about going there. And now the flights are booked, hotel is booked... It's really happening! Woooooo!!

Lucas is just so adorable! I can't wait to meet him, hopefully someday soon with you going to be living so close to the world and all ;) Perfect opportunity for a meet up!! :)

AJ's B

So happy to see a report from you!! What a gorgeous family you have! Seeing Disney with a child is so different and soooo wonderful. We enjoy seeing it with our now almost 7 year old grandson. Best of luck with the move to Florida. What is Brett's job going to be? Hope to someday bump into you in WDW. Have been following your reports since the wedding. It was so beautiful and touching!

SarahBella82

Very charming report. Thank you for sharing. As the mom of a nearly-2.5-year-old, I know how hard it can be to carve out time for writing. ;)

acrab3t

Thank you for writing this TR! We are toying with the idea of going to Disneyland for our next Disney vacation so reading your report has been helpful. I have been once but when I was a tween so I don't remember much. I do remember Toads Wild Ride and how insignificant the castle looked compared to Cindy's castle in Florida.

mousefreak

So glad to see another HollyBelle TR! You're such a great writer, and photos are awesome, too.

BTW...Congrats to Brett for living his dream of working for the Mouse. It seems that there's a wonderful adventure on the horizon for the 3 of you.

Disneyfalcon

Caught up! I'm sooooo happy you're trip reporting again!! :)
5 days notice? Good gravy! I'm impressed woman! And I love the spontaneity! I'm so glad you made it to my "home" park. And not surprised at all that you loved it.
Grand Californian is my favorite Disney hotel stateside. It's the best. And I'm not a huge fan of Wilderness Lodge. The Grand Californian is just awesome. The location can not be beat. It can't!
The time change when visiting Disneyland from the East Coast is brutal. Every morning I'm wide awake at 5:30 and ready for bed every night at 8. It's so hard!
The parade view - oh my.
I loved the old entrance to DCA. I really hate that they took away the letters. I've got so many fun pics of my kids in the letters! The new entrance is just not exciting. Love Buena Vista street and Carthay though.
You had so many wonderful pictures. Wonderful moments that you caught! I loved the pics with Chip and dale, and Lucas in the Nemo sub. The excitement he showed with Rex is adorable!
I loved the report, and I'm so happy for you and for your next adventure! Here's hoping the house sells quick! :)

sweetpee_1993

I just caught up, too. I'm with @derelicte19, I didn't think I could be more excited about going west or on a parks vacation but your report raises the itchy-pants level in a big way.

Oooohh...you know, I've had my heart set on the Disneyland Hotel for so long but your description of the Grand Californian and how it's like staying IN the park has me totally rethinking this! Ugh! I want it ALL!!! LOL!

The pic of Lucas with Belle is great. His expression is such a contrast to Belle's. And I do believe that's the most gorgeous Belle ever. Well, I dunno, she may have a little too good of a tan for the role but her facial beauty is spot-on. No room to debate if it's a dude or not. Not that we've ever had that conversation about a face character.....:angelic:

I have solid memories of Toad. What did Brett think? I know he must have remembered it from WDW, too. Right?

I so want to get Tracey the Rex pillow pet! He loves Rex. Lucas and his roaring is the cutest! You capture these random little moments so well. Do you live with your camera around your neck for this???

I enjoyed your relaxed pace. Definitely seems like you've found your Disney Momma & Disney Daddy legs. I commend your determination to not give up. You're much braver than me to attempt the parks with a baby to begin with. But to have the road bumps and keep truckin' is truly commendable. And now your persistence pays! WooHOOOO!!! Maybe Mickey had a little convo with Lucas on the down-low tellin' him to get ready for your next grand family adventure!

Your jet lagged Lucas pic was a great closer. You have such a brilliance for storytelling and expression. I've said it before and I'll say it again: you're a brilliant, amazing girl with a creative streak that sets you apart. It's truly a gift. I hope someday to see you take that and bring it to the world (the whole world, not just Disney World) like you mentioned when we chatted in Meridian.

Thanks for sharing another installment of Brett's & your happily-ever-after. :inlove::inlove::inlove:

stevehousse

Loved your report! Just think, now you will be able to get CM discounts to travel to the parks! So exciting! What kid of job did your husband get with Disney?

FlaggNL

Great trip report!! I guess I wont we in DLC in this lifetime it was great to see all the pictures! Loved the evening pictures from the new Cars land!!

meganw1985

Well, dang. I feel so horribly guilty that you got your trip report done and mine is sadly still not finished lol. I guess I will continue to work on it (if I can remember back to July :()

Your little man is just too cute. We got Luke a Rex plush in his stocking last year (love me some Rex, he is adorable) and he sits on top of his dresser. Every morning when I go in to get him, he points and "rawrs" at him so I have to get him down every single day :). He also rawrs at Brucie, (I guess it's the ferocious looking teeth? ha).

I have been wanting to go to Disneyland so bad. And my hubby says he has no desire to, which is very sad for me. :( But he has agreed to do Disney World again this summer, which he was against before last year, so baby steps I suppose. (He also booked us at the Poly, so I guess I'm coming out on top this year!)

What is it like flying with a little man? Do you book him a seat? Or sit on your lap? Does the pressure bother him? And does he get bored? I'm a little nervous about that part.

Pictures are fantastic as always. The Mickey waffle just about made me drool.

lbrad

What an AWESOME TR!!!
Love your little man ... he is adorable. Love the pics with his daddy & their "drinky drinks" :D
Your family is beautiful ... as are your pictures!!!
Thank you for sharing!
Y'all look so happy ... CHERISH the memories ... :inlove: they grow soooo fast !!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom