Trip Report To Disneyland, with Love: A June 2013 Trip Report

What can I say, Disneyland?! I’m writing you this love letter because you managed to steal a little piece of my heart. The time we spent with you last summer was unbelievably magical for this little family of ours.

Seeing how long it’s been since my last trip report, I may be a new face to some of you! I’m Holly and traveling with me are my dreamer of a husband, Brett, and our little dreamboat, Lucas. More than ever, we’re loving life as a party of three. A little background for those of you who may not be aware… in June Brett completed a five-month professional internship with the Walt Disney Company. Over the course of those five months, Lucas and I were only able to spend a total of seven days with him. To say we missed the man would be the understatement of the century. And I feel certain this is why Disneyland settled so sweetly within my heart, it was the adventure that landed in our laps mere days after his return.

So, how’d this happen? Well, in early June a work-related trip to the west coast came across my desk. Not wanting to miss out on a great opportunity, I floated the idea out to Brett and we decided we must throw caution to the wind, pack up our tiny little human, and hop on a plane bound for Anaheim. There was a new adventure awaiting us on the horizon.

I booked our flights on June 12th and five days later we were en route to LAX. How’s that for last minute?! There was no planning, no spending days pouring over park maps and guidebooks, no stressing out over every last detail of the trip, and no perusing the internet for all the must-dos. There was none of that. What there was though was an excitement for something new, something unknown and magical waiting just for us. Can I let you in on a little secret? These are my FAVORITE kind of trips!

This trip report is for you, Disneyland, your magical highness!

IMG_7399.jpg

WDWFigment

Thanks, Tom! Things just keep getting crazier for us.

I probably wasn't too clear in my description, I actually really liked both Buena Vista Street and the Carthay Circle area. I was just referring to the entrance facade going from the California letters to one that looks like DHS.

Ah, sorry! That's what I get for not reading closely. Yeah, I agree completely with that! The Pan-Pacific turnstiles are lazy.

As for the conversation between you and @sweetpee_1993 regarding maps, I also agree. Whenever we've gone to a new park, we've done the same. It's always by accident, because we're not used to needing a map, but it makes for a fun experience of discovery. I think that's especially true in non-castle parks like DCA where the layout can be so foreign.

diddy_mouse

Awww...such great pictures (as usual ;)) and so nice to see your take on Disneyland. Brandon and I were *THIS* close to going a couple of years ago but the flight cost was too expensive at the time and we had to cancel. We still have it on our to-do list for the coming years.

That little boy of yours is going to be quite the savvy Disney guest when he's walking and talking. So many memories in the making!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
I do! Women are bonkers for redheaded little boys! Well, me too but I do have a legit reason to be. What's funny is when Chandler got old enough to be chatty women would still fawn over his hair and it made him mad. They'd say the standard "Look at that gorgeous red hair!" Or some such thing and he'd scowl at them. "My hair is NOT red. It's BLUE." Then they'd fall even further for his sass. It was hysterical! Imagine someone asking Chandler where his red hair came from. LOL! Duh? A lady once started the fawning, looked at Tracey, and said jokingly, "Oh you can't deny that one." Tracey got mad. He was nice but when we walked away he was like, "What the heck was that?! Would I try to deny my son?!" LOL! Oh! And now when I'm out and about especially with Chandler we both notice other red headed kids & teens. We never say anything to them but we notice. When Chandler was a squirt we were in a Walmart or something and he spotted another little boy about his age with red hair nearby. He was sooooo excited squealing, "Momma! Momma! Look! He's like MEEEEEEE!" And he was rubbing his hair. It was so adorable. I know how he felt though. I hated my red hair when I was little because I didn't like being different. Now? My heart is breaking little crack by little crack as I watch the grays sneaking in. I know eventually they'll win and rob me of my wonderful red tresses. :cry:

Oh yeah, I totally notice other little redheads now, and there really aren't very many. I just really hope that his hair stays this color and doesn't change. I know what you mean about hating your hair and then loving it, I was the same way with my curls. It's going to be decades before your red is gone... if ever!

Oh yay! Next baby!!! I'm glad the extended wakeful nights hasn't put you off from the possibility of more. They're each so different but I know had I gone as long as you without a full night's sleep I might not have had another. I stopped at 2 largely because of all the puking Brian did. That was my birth control thought. LOL! The strollers they have nowadays are amazing. So much better than what we had for the boys. Oooooh, but I have visions of parking my far-in-the-future grandbabes in my vintage Taylor Tot. They don't make stuff like that anymore. Speaking of grandbabes, Brian asked me last week if I had thought about what I want his someday kids to call me. Actually, I have. LOL! I think Grammie!

Yep... we do plan to have another at some point. Although, the nights with no sleep are no joke. And I like Grammie. Lucas' pseudo Grandma (a lady near and dear to my heart that I work with) is a Grammy.

Lucas is so cute, that pic of him with Chip and Dale made me smile so big!! thanks for sharing your trip!!

Aww thanks! I love that picture of him trying to get Chip's nose.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Ah, sorry! That's what I get for not reading closely. Yeah, I agree completely with that! The Pan-Pacific turnstiles are lazy.

As for the conversation between you and @sweetpee_1993 regarding maps, I also agree. Whenever we've gone to a new park, we've done the same. It's always by accident, because we're not used to needing a map, but it makes for a fun experience of discovery. I think that's especially true in non-castle parks like DCA where the layout can be so foreign.

The idea of picking up a map never crossed our minds. I really appreciated DCA, and I think a lot of that was due to the completely foreign layout.

That's one of the reasons!! Chip and dale's outfits alone...

Perfection!

Those are the most adorable toeses!!

I might just have to agree with you, Tammy!

Awww...such great pictures (as usual ;)) and so nice to see your take on Disneyland. Brandon and I were *THIS* close to going a couple of years ago but the flight cost was too expensive at the time and we had to cancel. We still have it on our to-do list for the coming years.

That little boy of yours is going to be quite the savvy Disney guest when he's walking and talking. So many memories in the making!

Thanks, Erin! You guys definitely have to get out there at some point... it really is amazing to experience something completely new, yet so familiar. With the parks in his backyard I have a feeling Lucas will know a thing or two. ;)

LoveDisneyGirl

What an adorable family you have!! I don't often post on this board, but I have read a few of your other trip reports and I just love watching your family grow! Lucas is so precious! It's amazing how the love you have for your little family comes through in your pictures. It's beautiful.

I'm a California girl, so I to get my Disney World fix, I live vicariously through all you WDW regulars. So I always get excited to read a DL trip report when one of you ventures my direction! My boyfriend and I love California Adventure because you can take your time there and have a leisurely day. We love getting a beer or margarita and just walking through Grizzly Peak and into Radiator Springs. My heart will always belong to the chaos of Disneyland, but it's nice to walk to the other side and be able to breathe for a little bit.

Looking forward to the rest of your report!

angieandtrevor

Well wasn't this a nice surprise, I was really hoping you would find a little time to do this one. I am loving everything about this report but I especially love how excited you and Brett are in almost every single picture and Lucas is almost always acting like he doesn't know you guys.....perhaps a little foreshadowing into the future, lol !! I think it is so awesome that you guys did this. I am trying really hard to decide between an Alaskan Cruise (Tammy's report from a few years ago that recently reappeared completely sold me) and a Disneyland trip in the fall. As of today I know Oliver would DIE if he saw Carsland, actually I can't wait to show him your pictures when I get home. The length of the flight is what scares me the most but I think it would be worth it. Thanks for posting this report, fantastic job as always, Holly !!!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
What an adorable family you have!! I don't often post on this board, but I have read a few of your other trip reports and I just love watching your family grow! Lucas is so precious! It's amazing how the love you have for your little family comes through in your pictures. It's beautiful.

I'm a California girl, so I to get my Disney World fix, I live vicariously through all you WDW regulars. So I always get excited to read a DL trip report when one of you ventures my direction! My boyfriend and I love California Adventure because you can take your time there and have a leisurely day. We love getting a beer or margarita and just walking through Grizzly Peak and into Radiator Springs. My heart will always belong to the chaos of Disneyland, but it's nice to walk to the other side and be able to breathe for a little bit.

Looking forward to the rest of your report!

Thank you so much! I'm glad the pictures show just how much we were enjoying life together. I know what you mean about Disneyland having your heart. That's how I feel about the Magic Kingdom. It's in the east coast parks that I fell in love with my husband, so nothing is ever going to top that. Granted both Disneyland and DCA put up an impressive fight. I loved them both!

Well wasn't this a nice surprise, I was really hoping you would find a little time to do this one. I am loving everything about this report but I especially love how excited you and Brett are in almost every single picture and Lucas is almost always acting like he doesn't know you guys.....perhaps a little foreshadowing into the future, lol !! I think it is so awesome that you guys did this. I am trying really hard to decide between an Alaskan Cruise (Tammy's report from a few years ago that recently reappeared completely sold me) and a Disneyland trip in the fall. As of today I know Oliver would DIE if he saw Carsland, actually I can't wait to show him your pictures when I get home. The length of the flight is what scares me the most but I think it would be worth it. Thanks for posting this report, fantastic job as always, Holly !!!

Angie! Love the avatar!!

Haha... I'm cracking up over your assessment that Lucas is already trying to act like he doesn't know us in these photos. Looking back through them with this thought in my mind makes me laugh out loud. You are so right. Brett has a habit of randomly telling me things that future Lucas will do or say. Like, the other day when we were getting ready for work, Brett looked at me, in all seriousness, and said "You know Lucas is going to sneak out of the house one summer and go to a keg party, right?!" It always makes me laugh. I mean, in no way can I picture my little 1 1/2 year old doing the things Brett randomly throws out there, but he's right. Lucas will continue to grow and those days will likely come all too soon.

I think Oliver definitely needs to see Carsland sooner rather than later. ;) With him getting a bit older, I'd think that the flight would be more manageable? No? Should I not expect it to get easier!!?

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Day 4 – Thursday, June 20th: Park Hopping

After yet another super early east coast wake up call, we made our way to Disneyland. I was so excited to get into this park during the early hours of the day. And she did not disappoint. Ahhhh... I can't stress enough how magical mornings are in the parks. I mean, you can actually take a deep breath and soak up your surroundings, appreciate them for what they're worth.

IMG_8309.jpg

IMG_8310.jpg

IMG_8312.jpg

We quickly found ourselves in line for Finding Nemo’s Submarine Voyage, which afforded amazing views of the Matterhorn.

IMG_8317.jpg

IMG_8318.jpg

IMG_8320.jpg

IMG_8322.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
For whatever reason, Brett was really amped up to do this one, so I figured, “Sure, why not?” Oh my goodness... it was so good. Lucas was entranced throughout the whole ride, even pulling himself up to the window and oohing and ahhing.

IMG_8332.jpg

IMG_8333.jpg

IMG_8338.jpg

7787b634d9cb11e28d8c22000a1f9ad6_7.jpg

After this I think we may have indulged in a few other Fantasyland attractions, for which the photos are forever lost and my memory isn’t long enough to remember. Eventually though, we ended up in Toontown. Brett attempted to ride Roger Rabbit’s Cartoon Spin, but it was down. So we just wandered around for a bit... there was stroller napping to be had.

IMG_8342.jpg

IMG_8348.jpg

IMG_8352.jpg

IMG_8354.jpg

IMG_8356.jpg

IMG_8359.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
IMG_8364.jpg

IMG_8366.jpg

IMG_8371.jpg

IMG_8372copy.jpg

IMG_8379.jpg

As we were exiting Toontown, Lucas was still sleeping (his internal clock was all off) so I hopped aboard the happiest cruise that ever sailed while Brett continued to stroll the little dude. I was excited to ride the original version and was afraid we wouldn’t get back to this area of the park later when Lucas woke up. And then I found myself feeling guilty the whole time aboard because it was something the three of us could’ve done together. Seriously! I mean, “mom guilt” is a very real thing. And it follows us around every which way we go, doesn’t it?! Who knew? Certainly, not I.

IMG_8387.jpg

IMG_8388.jpg

IMG_8389.jpg

IMG_8432.jpg

I’ve always heard how Disneyland is kept in pristine condition by comparison to the World parks, and I just did not see it. In fact, there were many areas in which it seemed the opposite were true. The Small World attraction façade is one such example. It appeared very dirty and much of the white structure looked like it was begging for a good pressure washing.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
IMG_8394.jpg

IMG_8395.jpg

IMG_8396.jpg

IMG_8407.jpg

IMG_8422.jpg

IMG_8425.jpg

IMG_8426.jpg

I’m torn as to which coasts’ version I prefer. Disneyland’s exterior is far superior and I love the inclusion of the small world characters... I feel like they enhance the ride rather than detract from it. That being said, I was completely weirded out by the fact that our boat was in a canal, and that the entire floor wasn’t filled with water. I wasn’t expecting this and it caught me completely off guard. In this respect, I feel like the Magic Kingdom’s version is more immersive (literally).

I met up with Brett somewhere in Tomorrowland to find this guy still conked out. I swear, he may have slept more during the day during this trip than at night.

IMG_8433.jpg

So we each took a turn riding Space Mountain. I can’t remember exactly, but I think we’d picked up fastpasses for it earlier in the day. I don’t even recall the ride well enough to have a preference between coasts. Looks like we’ll have to go ride it again.

Next we headed back over to Adventureland to each single ride Indy once more. Such an amazing attraction!

IMG_8446.jpg

IMG_8434.jpg

Laurenciaa

Lovely pictures of your family ! Your son is one adorable little angel :) ! And indeed "It's a Small World" needs desperately some TLC :(

HollyBelle

Original Poster
In Fantasyland, we wandered through the castle. I love how they brought the story of Sleeping Beauty to life in the walls. Similar yet different than Cinderella's Castle.

IMG_8448.jpg

IMG_8449.jpg

IMG_8452.jpg

We didn’t ride them, but there’s no question that the teacups in Disneyland trump those at the Magic Kingdom. They’re just so quaint in the shadow of the Matterhorn.

IMG_8456.jpg

IMG_8458.jpg

IMG_8463.jpg

On Main Street we picked out an Indiana Mickey for our plush Christmas tree and then we headed out to find some lunch at one of the resorts.

IMG_8474.jpg

IMG_8478.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We grabbed a delicious lunch at the Storytellers Café in the Grand Californian. I can’t recall what we had, burgers and sandwiches, I presume, but I remember it being delicious. And more importantly, it was a nice retreat from the mounting heat outside.

IMG_8483.jpg

Little man enjoyed exercising his freedom to escape us. Looking back at the photos and videos from this trip he seems so slow, but at the time I didn’t think so. Also, he didn't want anything to do with his shoes, and it really wasn't worth the fight to try to get him to keep them on.

IMG_9276.jpg

After lunch, I did what any great wife would do... took the little one back to the hotel for an afternoon nap and sent my husband off galavanting towards California Adventure. ;) I do believe he was headed for Grizzly River Rapids. And a few hours later he did what any great husband would do... arrived in our hotel room with a gift. ;)

Pillow pal Rex was in the bag and I was super excited. The best part: Lucas totally “roared” when he saw the green guy. It was kinda perfect and one of my favorite moments of the entire trip. The funniest thing is, as I sit writing this, the child has over a hundred words in his vocabulary and is putting together two and three word sentences, but back in June, it was one of his first!

What’s the dinosaur say?! ROAR!

IMG_8484.jpg

IMG_8492.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Halfway back to the parks, I realized I’d forgotten something back in the room (I think it may have been Lucas’ sippee cup, but I’m not sure now), so the guys went ahead. When I caught up with them they were sitting on a ledge outside Disneyland. Turns out Lucas had just met the most gorgeous Belle.

IMG_8504.jpg

Onward to Fantasyland and another cruise aboard a Small World. There may have even been a little bit of dancing while we waited in line.

IMG_8517.jpg

IMG_8521.jpg

ad3f783cda0e11e2904822000a1fc3ed_7.jpg

IMG_8523.jpg

IMG_8546.jpg

IMG_8552.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Next up... Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride, which I hear is a real nostalgia bomb for 80’s Disney babies!

IMG_8555.jpg

IMG_8556.jpg

IMG_8560.jpg

Of course, we couldn’t leave Fantasyland without stopping for my favorite photo op. West coast version:

IMG_8564.jpg

You know, now that we’ll be living in Florida, I guess the Sword in the Stone is going to become Lucas’ birthday photo spot, seeing as how I can’t expect to take one on every “trip.”

And every good mirror shot needs an ECV photo bomb, right?

IMG_8569.jpg

We headed back to Toontown so Brett could finally ride the elusive Car Toon Spin and Lucas and I could indulge in Clarabelle’s. We were partly successful. Clarabelle’s was closed, but the attraction was open. I don’t know if he’d just set very high expectations, but Brett didn’t come away from it all that impressed.

IMG_8574.jpg

IMG_8575.jpg

We did a few more things, of which I can't remember and then decided to finish the night over at California Adventure. And we just so happened to catch the parade as we made our way up Main Street one last time.

IMG_8579.jpg

Nothing can beat the fact that you can walk from one park to the other. Now that's truly magical.

IMG_8591.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
First stop in California Adventure was Clarabelle’s for ice cream. It doesn’t get any sweeter than having your first taste of ice cream on Disney property!

IMG_8592.jpg

IMG_8594.jpg

We hit up a Bugs Land for more adventures of the creepy crawly variety.

IMG_8605.jpg

IMG_8607.jpg

IMG_8613.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom