Timekeeper replacement - Laugh Floor Comedy Club - name confirmed

wannab@dis

ReallyBigKid said:
Since it sounds like they are just recycling Turtle Talk and spoon feeding us some more Pixar, there doesn't seem the need for a lot of R&D. The technology is all there.

Screen. [Check]
Projector [Check]
Computer Animation Software [Check]
Lovable Characters [Check]
Lack of fresh creativity [Check]
Fear of failing like we did on Stitch [Check]

The attraction could turnout to be a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to getting to see it it on my next trip to PixarWor...er..um..I mean Disney World. I would just rather see something new than them just regurgitating another attraction.

Let's see....

omnimover: used many times
coasters: used many times
water flumes: not very ground breaking there
slow boat rides: can't even count them all

The delivery and mechanics of creating the attraction is used over and over to create attractions. What is the problem with that? I don't hear you complaining about Splash Mountain, Jungle Cruise, IaSW, PotC, etc. The technology and techniques of Turtle Talk fascinates and entertains everyone. Moving it to a grand scale such as this sounds like a great idea.

Why not wait and actually experience the attraction before knocking it. And, by the way, Pixar IS Disney now. :wave:

Shaman

wannab@dis said:
Sorry... I wasn't very clear with my post. I was considering production as part of 'development'. Since this appears to be a screen technology attraction, they could have been using a warehouse mockup to work on the technology, sets, and multiple edits of the film to get everything ready. Once they reached a certain point in that development, they could start working on the new space at TK with a reasonable timeline of completion.

I'm looking forward to seeing this completed! If the comparisons to Turtle Talk are remotely accurate, it will be a great addition to MK.

Has anybody really seen any heavy equipment onsite, around or in the old TK building? If not, maybe not much will be changing....in reality all TK needed was rotating seats (maybe it's a bit of stretch lol)...maybe LFCC will be similar to TK only with enhancements and improvements mixed in with Turtle Talk technology.

kcnole

Well, I have to admit this. People didn't really like SGE before they actually released it, and they really don't like it now. Hopefully, we wont be able to say the same for LFCC. :)

People are a bit unfair to stitch. It's not a bad attraction at all. Yes, it replaced an incredible attraction so I understand the disapointment as when something is replaced it should get better.

However, I saw this before getting corrupted by the message boards and while I wasn't blown away by it, I thought it was cute and my wife and I both laughed throughout it. I just wish they'd lose the chili dog smell.

I'm not going to queue up for a long time to see it again, but it's not the worst thing Disney has ever produced.

KevinPage

Lee/Steve,

So this is definitely a "LIVE" show as opposed to a pre-scripted rigid attraction where the same thing happens all the time (ala Stitch) ?

I always give attractions a chance, but I generally don't care/want LIVE shows, I want rigid dark rides.

Things like Buzz and audience participation are too much "work", I want to sit back and be entertained.

Hence why I'm not all that pumped up over Midway Mania. I'm happy about a new attraction, just not "pumped" as I want to be. :D

Shaman

KevinPage said:
Lee/Steve,

So this is definitely a "LIVE" show as opposed to a pre-scripted rigid attraction where the same thing happens all the time (ala Stitch) ?

I always give attractions a chance, but I generally don't care/want LIVE shows, I want rigid dark rides.

Things like Buzz and audience participation are too much "work", I want to sit back and be entertained.

Hence why I'm not all that pumped up over Midway Mania. I'm happy about a new attraction, just not "pumped" as I want to be. :D

I think you may be in the minority. I think there has been a huge shift to interactive rides lately, because guest seem to like the "interactive" element (it kind of goes with predominant aspects of todays tech society). Even M:S has a joystick to make you think you're doing something....

Lee

Adventurer
KevinPage said:
Lee/Steve,

From the description I got....yeah.

tirian

kcnole said:
People are a bit unfair to stitch. It's not a bad attraction at all. Yes, it replaced an incredible attraction so I understand the disapointment as when something is replaced it should get better.

However, I saw this before getting corrupted by the message boards and while I wasn't blown away by it, I thought it was cute and my wife and I both laughed throughout it. I just wish they'd lose the chili dog smell.

I'm not going to queue up for a long time to see it again, but it's not the worst thing Disney has ever produced.

This is definitely a case of varying opinions! My college-age sister, who has never read any Disney message board, insisted on experiencing SGE; I refused to get on it with her. She hated it, but not for the same reasons that Disney-addicts do. It simply didn't thrill her. The chili dog smell didn't bother her, either. She told me that she just sort of sat through it, and noticed that at the end, the kids around her were either terrified or bored. She exited with a look of disgust on her face, and said, "That was a waste of time!"

But I know people who think it's a decent attraction. To each his own! :wave:

wannab@dis said:
Let's see....

The delivery and mechanics of creating the attraction is used over and over to create attractions. What is the problem with that? I don't hear you complaining about Splash Mountain, Jungle Cruise, IaSW, PotC, etc. The technology and techniques of Turtle Talk fascinates and entertains everyone. Moving it to a grand scale such as this sounds like a great idea.

Why not wait and actually experience the attraction before knocking it. And, by the way, Pixar IS Disney now. :wave:

I'm excited to see what they have in store for the LFCC, just praying they do more than just give us Monster Talk with Mike and Sully.

SM, JC, IASW, POTC, I don't believe they have tried to mimic any of these rides in the park. Maybe you'd be excited if they put in "Its A Big World" in MGM. Bigger boat, same music, and more scenes. Woohoo, the excitement. I'd still go ride it and be interested to see what they had done with it. But would definitely not be my first choice for a new attraction.

Lol, actually, I'd love to see IASW bulldozed to the ground and replaced with submarines.... muhahahaha... but I am EVIL that way. I don't even like the ride, but it is tradition to ride it and I force anyone who goes with me to ride it.

JC, POTC, and Splash are somewhat similar I guess. Boat + Water + animatronics (well almost animatronics for JC). But I ride each one for completely different reasons. JC is to laugh at the skipper and relive childhood memories. POTC, now who wouldn't want to sing that song. Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me. Splash, I go to be amazed by the animatronics, the atmosphere, and the thrill of the big drop at the end.

Yes these are only my opinions and I believe I'm entitled to them just as much as you are entitled to yours. So for the record, I pray they do more than just recycle TTWC.

kcnole said:

Yes, SGE is a decent ride if you hadn't rode AE before, well okay if you hadn't even seen the video for AE before.

wannab@dis

Shaman said:
I think you may be in the minority. I think there has been a huge shift to interactive rides lately, because guest seem to like the "interactive" element (it kind of goes with predominant aspects of todays tech society). Even M:S has a joystick to make you think you're doing something....
I agree. I also think it goes one step further than Buzz, etc and the interactive aspect will be different each time you visit. That will help keep the attraction fresh for a longer time. Sitting back and being entertained is nice, but after so many sittings, people can get a little bored. The different experience quality should help alleviate that issue.

I think it's also worth mentioning that entertainment for kids (cartoons) has been changing for a while now. When many of us were young, most cartoons were 'sit and watch'. However, now that I've started seeing some of the new kids shows with my little one, I've noticed that most are somewhat interactive and ask questions or request the kids follow along and mimic what the characters are doing. (This is even more prevelent with video games.)

Kids are now looking to interact with the experiences around them. If given a choice, my little girl would rather see the new Mickey Clubhouse (lots of interaction) than Bambi, Tarzan, Lion King, etc. The characters of the shows talk "with" her, not "at" her.

Shaman

tirian said:
This is definitely a case of varying opinions! My college-age sister, who has never read any Disney message board, insisted on experiencing SGE; I refused to get on it with her. She hated it, but not for the same reasons that Disney-addicts do. It simply didn't thrill her. The chili dog smell didn't bother her, either. She told me that she just sort of sat through it, and noticed that at the end, the kids around her were either terrified or bored. She exited with a look of disgust on her face, and said, "That was a waste of time!"

That was exactly my take on it...it really is a shame...the Stitch AA is great and the guns are cool....but there's no substance.

wannab@dis

ReallyBigKid said:
I'm excited to see what they have in store for the LFCC, just praying they do more than just give us Monster Talk with Mike and Sully.

SM, JC, IASW, POTC, I don't believe they have tried to mimic any of these rides in the park. Maybe you'd be excited if they put in "Its A Big World" in MGM. Bigger boat, same music, and more scenes. Woohoo, the excitement. I'd still go ride it and be interested to see what they had done with it. But would definitely not be my first choice for a new attraction.

Lol, actually, I'd love to see IASW bulldozed to the ground and replaced with submarines.... muhahahaha... but I am EVIL that way. I don't even like the ride, but it is tradition to ride it and I force anyone who goes with me to ride it.

JC, POTC, and Splash are somewhat similar I guess. Boat + Water + animatronics (well almost animatronics for JC). But I ride each one for completely different reasons. JC is to laugh at the skipper and relive childhood memories. POTC, now who wouldn't want to sing that song. Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me. Splash, I go to be amazed by the animatronics, the atmosphere, and the thrill of the big drop at the end.

Yes these are only my opinions and I believe I'm entitled to them just as much as you are entitled to yours. So for the record, I pray they do more than just recycle TTWC.

Yes, SGE is a decent ride if you hadn't rode AE before, well okay if you hadn't even seen the video for AE before.

I understand where you are coming from and I agree you are entitled to your opinion. However, IMO you are over-simplifying the aspects of the rumored similarities between Turtle Talk and LFCC.

PotC and IaSW use the exact same mechanism and delivery method. However, they are totally different attractions and both are considered classics. The same is true for many of the attractions that people enjoy. The story is different, but the delivery is extremely similar. Just because they use the same delivery in LFCC as Turtle Talk shouldn't automatically negate the possibility of it being a great attraction.

tirian

I agree. I also think it goes one step further than Buzz, etc and the interactive aspect will be different each time you visit. That will help keep the attraction fresh for a longer time. Sitting back and being entertained is nice, but after so many sittings, people can get a little bored. The different experience quality should help alleviate that issue.

I think it's also worth mentioning that entertainment for kids (cartoons) has been changing for a while now. When many of us were young, most cartoons were 'sit and watch'. However, now that I've started seeing some of the new kids shows with my little one, I've noticed that most are somewhat interactive and ask questions or request the kids follow along and mimic what the characters are doing. (This is even more prevelent with video games.)

Kids are now looking to interact with the experiences around them. If given a choice, my little girl would rather see the new Mickey Clubhouse (lots of interaction) than Bambi, Tarzan, Lion King, etc. The characters of the shows talk "with" her, not "at" her.

I agree. Look at the buzz that the Nintendo Wii (or Revolution, or whatever you want to call it) is getting because of its motion-sensing controller. It was the most popular exhibit at the E3 conference and won Best in Show, Best Hardware, and other stuff. The hype even prompted Sony to hastily include weaker motion-sensing capabilities to their PS3 controllers.

The majority of people like interactivity, and Disney's on the right track with these attractions. More importantly, shows such as LFCC can be updated and changed quickly, so that they don't get stale. WDI likes this aspect a lot. Let's wait to see how the attraction comes out. It will be much, much larger than TTwC at Epcot; so much larger that Disney has practically sealed the building and shrouded it in mystery! ;)

MKCP 1985

wdwmagic said:
I think its been in more than R&D, I think its actually been in production for some time now.

Timekeeper closed on 26 February 2006, so its left with them with less than a year to install the actual show. Granted, with indoor theatre attractions, its much easier than Expedition Everest for example.

As a comparison. Legend of the Lion King closed in Feb 2002, and PhilharMagic opened around September 2003.

I just happened to be at the Magic Kingdom during the week of Timekeeper's closing date, and it was not open, for example, on the day before the close (25 Feb). Remember that even prior to that date, the doors were closed and even the queue area was no longer being used as a meet and greet for Buzz. :cool:

kcnole

SM, JC, IASW, POTC, I don't believe they have tried to mimic any of these rides in the park.

You don't consider El Rio Del Tempiero or however you spell that silly ride to be a mexican version of IASW meets IYHW?

Sergeant Tibbs

Common guys, they're aliens!...givem a chance.
I've got a question though i've never seen "turtle talk" is it just some interactive stuff? (I just thought i'd get us back on toppic)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom