Tim Delaney-Valerie Edwards dismissal thread

mcjaco

Did I write Snow White??? Good lord what is wrong with me? :ROFLOL: Sleeping Beauty!!!!

I'd agree with your argument, but Matterhorn came later.

Either way, I still like DL. I'm just not a raving lunatic fanboy about it.

EPCOT Explorer

Disagree. There's still a certain magic as you walk up and see the smaller train station. Like, "this is where it all began." The only let down for me, is Snow White's castle. It's just so stinking tiny. Once you get past the smaller size of the park, you find it's just as wonderful as MK. And not as tiring to get around!

Well, yeah, that's what's REALLY amazing about that park. :D

And our MK really isn't that big, compared to EPCOT or DAK. I was used to EPCOT for two years, and coming back to MK made it feel much smaller.

The only *real* drawbacks of a smaller castle, IMHO, would be the fireworks...You don't have that classic shot of the spires being framed by the pyro on MSUSA...It's all above.

Meh. RDCT and Magical are still amazing. :lol:

Orange Bird

What you're missing in all of this, is that leemac has only in the last month or two been a "doom and gloomer." He has historically defended TD(fill in the blank) tooth and nail. He's like what you were trying to be with TDO, only with real inside info (and a paycheck from the Mouse).

So for him to sound off like this, it is at a minimum worth noting.

I'm glad you pointed this out. A few years ago there were creative folks who supported management (LeeMac seemed to reflect their opinions) and creative people who did not support management (WDW1974 seemed to reflect their opinions), now I'm hearing unhappiness all around.

EPCOT Explorer

What you're missing in all of this, is that leemac has only in the last month or two been a "doom and gloomer." He has historically defended TD(fill in the blank) tooth and nail. He's like what you were trying to be with TDO, only with real inside info (and a paycheck from the Mouse).

So for him to sound off like this, it is at a minimum worth noting.

I'm glad you pointed this out. A few years ago there were creative folks who supported management (LeeMac seemed to reflect their opinions) and creative people who did not support management (WDW1974 seemed to reflect their opinions), now I'm hearing unhappiness all around.

Well, that might be due to the fact that like a lot of web masters, getting info or "plusses" from Disney drastically changes their outlook on the parks and the operation of them. Not speaking for LeeMac, of course, but this might be true in some cases.

Hearing unhappiness all around might just be the frustration from both sides that Disney is still not loving up to their full potential.

Piratemaker

Valerie Edwards

I have been following this thread for a bit and I am completely saddened by the news of Val's and Tim's dismissals.

I have to agree with several of you who are viewing this as a dismal event for the future of the Disney brand in general.

I only know of Tim and his accomplishments, but I didn't ever get to meet him personally.

Valerie is a different matter entirely. I had the pleasure of getting to work with her directly on several projects! While the dismissal of an artist at Imagineering is not necessarily new news, losing someone as valuable as Valerie is substantial! In addition to being a truly amazing artist, Valerie was responsible for the all of the Disney parks integrity. She was handpicked by John Hench who chose Valerie not only to create Disney art, but to maintain Disney artistic quality across the board. She alone was handed the torch of keeping the Disney style ... well ... the Disney style!

This act by the "powers that be" seems to be a blatant demonstration of the "new regime's" complete disregard for tradition and utter lack of commitment to producing "Disney" quality. I am completely baffled by this and continue to wonder how the leadership can hope to increase profits as one of the "world’s favorite brands", when they continue to undermine that same brand and rid the company of the very elements that make this company special.

Orange Bird

I have been following this thread for a bit and I am completely saddened by the news of Val's and Tim's dismissals.

I have to agree with several of you who are viewing this as a dismal event for the future of the Disney brand in general.

I only know of Tim and his accomplishments, but I didn't ever get to meet him personally.

Valerie is a different matter entirely. I had the pleasure of getting to work with her directly on several projects! While the dismissal of an artist at Imagineering is not necessarily new news, losing someone as valuable as Valerie is substantial! In addition to being a truly amazing artist, Valerie was responsible for the all of the Disney parks integrity. She was handpicked by John Hench who chose Valerie not only to create Disney art, but to maintain Disney artistic quality across the board. She alone was handed the torch of keeping the Disney style ... well ... the Disney style!

This act by the "powers that be" seems to be a blatant demonstration of the "new regime's" complete disregard for tradition and utter lack of commitment to producing "Disney" quality. I am completely baffled by this and continue to wonder how the leadership can hope to increase profits as one of the "world’s favorite brands", when they continue to undermine that same brand and rid the company of the very elements that make this company special.

Well said!

DisneyNut2007

Oh, no! Not another overly-negative one-sided newbie! :mad:

Buried20KLeague

I couldn't agree more. Like I said earlier in this thread, it seems very hard to find a silver lining in this action by WDI.

And... WELCOME! :wave:

If you've had that sort of experience and worked on projects with Valerie, I for one would love to see you post here more (see Eddie Sotto) and share some of your stories. They're priceless for fans like us!

EPCOT Explorer

Well said...and thanks for posting. :)

It appears we have another Imagineer with us? :D:sohappy:

jt04

Well said...and thanks for posting. :)

It appears we have another Imagineer with us? :D:sohappy:

Sorry, I don't agree. While it's sad when anyone loses their job, I think by now it is evident Imagineering is more than two people. And I see plenty of evidence that the traditional Disney magic is actually being reestablished while still evolving. From animation to DCA to the MK expansion, it's obvious some incredibly talented people are ready to step up and bring new and fresh content to WDI.

HMF

Original Poster

If you are a former Imagineer' would you mind telling us who you are or if not that's OK.

EPCOT Explorer

Sorry, I don't agree. While it's sad when anyone loses their job, I think by now it is evident Imagineering is more than two people. And I see plenty of evidence that the traditional Disney magic is actually being reestablished while still evolving. From animation to DCA to the MK expansion, it's obvious some incredibly talented people are ready to step up and bring new and fresh content to WDI.
Or...it used to be.

And on the contrary, jt...these Imagineers were let go AFTER they worked on current and future projects.:shrug: Leaving who for the future? I don't know.

I see no silver lining here.

HMF

Original Poster
I understand what you are saying and I agree that WDI is going in a better creative direction now than the past few years. However Valerie was "personally" selected by Blaine Gibson to be his successor and I think we all know who Personally selected Blaine.

MarkTwain

But if WDI is becoming such a creatively-focused place, then why are they letting go some of their most talented and accomplished designers? I don't think either of their portfolios would give the impression that their work was getting stale and in need of change.

My impression is that both were let go for "creative differences" with the powers that be (rhymes with "Bay Basulo").

EPCOT Explorer

But if WDI is becoming such a creatively-focused place, then why are they letting go some of their most talented and accomplished designers? I don't think either of their portfolios would give the impression that their work was getting stale and in need of change.

My impression is that both were let go for "creative differences" with the powers that be (rhymes with "Bay Basulo")
That sounds about right...I hear Mrs. Edwards was fighting for quality.:dazzle::(

jt04

That sounds about right...I hear Mrs. Edwards was fighting for quality.:dazzle::(

That is because the spin on forums like this can be overwhelming. And in case you haven't noticed folks involved in decisions such as these can't respond on a public forum for legal reasons. So, best case scenario we are only getting one side of the story. And since the average poster here blames Jay R for everything from global warming to pot holes on I-4, it's tough to discern the truth from the propaganda. My guess is he had absolutely nothing to do with the situation. DCA, MK expansion, PatF, etc reek of quality. My sense is Iger "gets" that quality sells and he has said as much.

I'm not getting sucked into this latest D&G propaganda campaign. Keep your eye on the Iger/Lasseter team and the product unveiled over the next 18 to 24 months. They own that 100% and then we will have a definitive answer as to if they know what they are doing or not.

IMO.

EPCOT Explorer

jt, I must admit that that was a well said post, and you are right, that we technically have only heard the beloved Doom and Gloom side of things.:D

However...why!? Why would they get rid of such a good Imagineer? Something doesn't line up, IMHO.

HMF

Original Poster
jt, I must admit that that was a well said post, and you are right, that we technically have only heard the beloved Doom and Gloom side of things.:D

However...why!? Why would they get rid of such a good Imagineer? Something doesn't line up, IMHO.
The reasons can be seen in the article at the beginning of this thread. She is too quality driven for the Rasulo regime.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom