Ticket Price Increase

Computer Magic

Holy cow! In what land do we get the cool cruise ship attraction? I get what you are showing but FLE is long over due, how long has 20k been gone? and star tours needed a refurb a long time ago. Again why is it so wrong to want the best for your favorite vacation spot?

I agree. His post did prove one thing. Not every dollar collected at WDW is put back into WDW. Something that many around here thinks will happen when wdw prices are increased.

ABigBrassBand

Last year I did four trips to WDW and one to Disneyland, this year I'm doing two trips to WDW... Nothing to do with Disney's ticket pricing, just how things worked out. :shrug:

Oh, I'm just showing how our family has started to drift away from the "ripoff" that Disney is to us and started to put things before it. We all love Disney, but there has to be a point where you draw the line. $3 extra may not seem like a lot, but when you factor in everything else we do at the resort, it certainly is something that could push someone overboard.

Rowdy

I agree. His post did prove one thing. Not every dollar collected at WDW is put back into WDW. Something that many around here thinks will happen when wdw prices are increased.

So, you're saying that the only money Disney makes comes from the parks? There's no possible way that Disney acquires money in any other form? All Wizards is saying is that Disney is spending money to better the customer.

erasure fan1

So, you're saying that the only money Disney makes comes from the parks? There's no possible way that Disney acquires money in any other form? All Wizards is saying is that Disney is spending money to better the customer.

I get it but its funny that a discussion about park tickets going up and the money being used to better the parks, he puts up pics of cruise ships.

Computer Magic

Give me a break :rolleyes:

I'm saying Disney takes profit from across all entities and invest how they see fit. Disney spent a lot of capital on Hawaii, cruise ships, DL, other parks.

I'm am saying WDW profits have been invested elsewhere. It has not been a dollar made in WDW is a dollar invested at WDW. Many people want a better value for WDW. Since this is a WDW site and not a Disney site, you can see why the passion.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Being a fan really doesnt mean you have to ignore things and swallow anything they try and feed you. Why is it so wrong to want the best for your favorite vacation spot? If no one holds them to a higher standard, then what reason do they have to do it?

I don't ignore things, nor do I swallow anything they try to feed me. There is nothing wrong with wanting the best. I firmly believe that you have every right to your opinions of what you perceive to be problems at WDW. I just don't happen to share them.

I don't think there's any particular need to hold Disney to a higher standard because I personally believe they already set the Gold Standard of theme parks. They do strive to maintain that standard IMO and generally they succeed more than they fail. I go to the parks regularly [for a Canadian] because I enjoy myself immensely while I'm there. I get treated well by friendly, helpful staff and have only rarely found a CM that was less than ideal. In those instances I've been extra polite with them and for the most part I got a "Thank you" or otherwise was acknowledged as having brightened their day.

Maybe this is a glass-half-empty/glass-half-full argument. I am generally a positive person and find the good in things and people. Perhaps it's my overall philosophy of life that negative thoughts/things aren't that important in the grand scheme. I choose to enjoy...

wizards8507

I get it but its funny that a discussion about park tickets going up and the money being used to better the parks, he puts up pics of cruise ships.

"Parks and Resorts" is one operating segment of the Walt Disney Company. Employment, high-level budgeting, operating decisions, financial data, and large-scale capital investments are made based on the operating segment. The other divisions (Studio Entertainment, Consumer Products, and Media Networks) operate differently.

CJR

They're a publicly traded company with shareholders who care about the bottom number on the P&L. There's *nothing* wrong with that....

It boggles my mind how so many people expect Disney to provide these theme parks as a free service to people. Its just not true. Those parks are there to make money...if you can't afford the product disney creates, don't buy it. They seem to have a good idea as to what price the market will bear....

regardless, the more money Disney makes, the better off the company and by extension, the theme parks will be.

Tell that to Southwest Airlines. I love their business model and really wish Disney would be the same way. The funny thing is they make a lot of money, yet give the customers top value.

My point was that people are already saying bad things coming back home from Walt Disney World. At some point, it's going to hurt the company's reputation. I know you can't please everyone, but every time they raise the prices, people are going to become harder to please. IMO, some people at Disney are already rude as heck.

Speaking of rude, I've spotted a few rude comments in this thread. "Not big on economics?" How does that push the discussion forward. That's a personal attack. I'm a member of Omicron Delta Epsilon, the national honors society in economics. You probably shouldn't be saying things like that.

I'm not renewing my AP because I think Disney's a bad product. It's simply because I can't financially afford it at this time. If I were doing well, I'd probably have one personally. I'm not a WDW hater. I just noted that I have seen people repeatedly say negative things about WDW including calling it an "expensive joke". For the record, those were not my words. People actually believe that and if they continue to tell others that, those "others" probably won't be in a hurry to visit the kingdom.

WDW needs to know they can do better and strive for it. When you see what DL's doing, WDW should be doing things the same way. I'm not talking about spending billions of dollars, but keeping rides in working order would be nice.

wizards8507

Tell that to Southwest Airlines. By that logic, why not charge $200 for a one day ticket? I'm sure there are people who would pay it.

Please. Take one Principles of Economics course in your life. Day three or four you should probably cover Price Elasticity.

cheezbat

There are many more visitors coming in to fill your family's spot in the parks.

Off you go then.

Well isn't that pleasant.

While I know Disney is visited from people around the world, it's really messed up how AMERICANS, you know, the people who live in the country the resort is built in, can't even afford to visit it. So basically what some of you are saying is that it's no big deal, you'll continue to take the price hikes happily and don't give a crap that many longtime Disney fans who have forked over many of their dollars over the years can no longer afford to visit the place. That's just a shame.

Oh, and Potter is well beyond anything WDW has done lately. :p

Tigger1988

Tell that to Southwest Airlines. I love their business model and really wish Disney would be the same way. The funny thing is they make a lot of money, yet give the customers top value.

Never watched Southwest's reality show "Airline" eh? After seeing how terrible their customer service was and how unsatisfied the customers were in every episode (why Southwest even allowed the show to air is beyond me) I will never fly on that airline.

Krack

There's nothing funnier than a college kid behaving as though he is the world's foremost authority on whatever reading assignment he happened to have for class last week.

Do econ classes cover the resulting effects of the long term loss of brand loyalty and goodwill through short term profit motive decisions? How about the effects on a company (or division) when they are no longer viewed as the clear #1 brand in their industry?

Wilt Dasney

Actually, Krack picked the 82 prices after the disappearance of the ride books. I think it was $8.50 admission for an adult for one day before that. You can look at all the info right here -

http://allears.net/tix/tickethistory.htm

Interesting link! I expected to see some period in the past where ticket prices held stable over time, but it looks like there have only been 3 years since 1971 when the price of a 1-day ticket to WDW didn't go up at least once.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Never watched Southwest's reality show "Airline" eh? After seeing how terrible their customer service was and how unsatisfied the customers were in every episode (why Southwest even allowed the show to air is beyond me) I will never fly on that airline.

That show was heavily edited to skew perception. I fly SW a lot and I've never seen an altercation or irate customer at any SW desk. People act for the cameras......

Crockett

Banned
Well isn't that pleasant.

While I know Disney is visited from people around the world, it's really messed up how AMERICANS, you know, the people who live in the country the resort is built in, can't even afford to visit it. So basically what some of you are saying is that it's no big deal, you'll continue to take the price hikes happily and don't give a crap that many longtime Disney fans who have forked over many of their dollars over the years can no longer afford to visit the place. That's just a shame.
That's not what I'm saying. I do feel bad for people who cannot afford a trip to Disney.
But looking at this from upper mgmt's point of view...a ticket sold is a ticket sold. The higher up's do not read discussion forums to see how Random Citizen X feels about price increases. They look at the bottom line. And observing how the summer is shaping up for the parks, with record influx of tour groups, extended hours @ DHS, etc...it is looking like the bottom line will be mighty pretty. :cool:

It is unfortunate for some people, I understand. But business is business. And if you start getting a bleeding/sympathetic heart in the U.S. business market, especially when competing for tourist dollars, you will be crushed. Disney knows what it is doing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom